2014 International 4300 Box truck

Discussion in 'Truck Talk' started by Pyndyk, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Pyndyk

Pyndyk Rookie Expediter Fleet Owner

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, I have 5 Sprinter vans and looking to add a 26 ft Box truck;

Found some decent looking 2014 models with 150-170K miles for about $26K-$30K

How is your exepience with Inter ST?

Should I buy Hino or M1 class from the Freightshaker?

2. Ragman
    EO4ME

Ragman Veteran Expediter Retired Expediter

Ratings:
    +16,152 / 12 / -3
    Carrier:
    Retired
    Vehicle:
    Straight truck
    Decent enough truck for around town or just doing out and backs. Don't think it will put up with the riggers of otr.

• BobWolf
      Caffeine Fix

BobWolf Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +253 / 1 / -1
      Carrier:
      Wolf Trucking
      Whats the history on the units? 150-170 K seems awfully low mileage to sell anything Diesel.
      Sure the mileage looks good but how many service or engine hours are on it? That makes all the difference because 150 170 K in a major city is exponentially different than all highway. You could have almost double that or more in operation hours if it was used in a major city, as a service truck, or any situation where it spent allot of time idling. Also whats the service history, was it treated and serviced properly or did the previous owners / users beat the living hell out of it?
      Anything Diesel I would recommend leasing through Penskee. Considering the cost of servicing or repairing emissions components is several grand on the cheap. What I liked best about leasing is If it breaks they bring you a truck and get you back on the road. As long as you don't cause damage the repairs are on them not you.

• Like Like x 2
    • la90043

la90043 Seasoned Expediter

Ratings:
      +4 / 0 / -0
      Carrier:
      many carriers
      Budget and many other rental lease companies all sold them. Got rid of them. Dumped them.
      C.A.R.B. requirements. Emission system is junk. Do not buy. Research it.

• beachbum

beachbum Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +401 / 2 / -0
      Carrier:
      Landstar
      If can handle the riggers of local stop and go freight, it should be able to handle freeway driving.
      Also isn’t it true that local trucks age faster then OTR trucks.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Tennesseahawk
      Balanced

Tennesseahawk Veteran Expediter

Ratings:
      +2,896 / 4 / -0
      Hino disproves that theory.

• Tennesseahawk
      Balanced

Tennesseahawk Veteran Expediter

Ratings:
      +2,896 / 4 / -0
      International has a notorious reputation about selling junk. Ever since the the feds required emissions in 2003, International has lagged behind its competitors, chiefly in the competence department. It's like they never grasped the concepts of producing an engine that would withstand the rigors of not failing. One need only look at the Prostar with the Maxfarce engine. If you want to talk straight trucks, one need only look at the 4300 with the DT engine. I was lease purchasing one in 2006/2007, and am extremely lucky the engine crapped itself before I finished buying it. It had 160k on the engine.

My opinion... stay away... far away.

• guido4475

guido4475 Veteran Expediter

Ratings:
      +960 / 3 / -0
      Carrier:
      an awesome company

I had several Internationals and they are incredibly dependable and could take a beating like no other. The DT466 engine, derived from the DTA360, is an incredible wet sleeve engine that has been around for a long time. Even the 530 engine was an excellent powerhouse. I am sure the emissions systems were the culprit of many problems for these engines, as well as other makes of diesel engines, once they were put on any of these engines. How many Sprinter engines have internal problems? Id think its safe to say very little, but add the emissions system on these engines, and that's where most problems start, not only for Sprinter diesel engines, but others as well.

• Ragman
      EO4ME

Ragman Veteran Expediter Retired Expediter

Ratings:
      +16,152 / 12 / -3
      Carrier:
      Retired
      Vehicle:
      Straight truck
      Thank you!

I stand by my comment...... good enough for around town, but i wouldn't trust it for otr.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 7:46 PM
      • Agree Agree x 1
    • Moot
      Confused

Moot Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +7,088 / 5 / -1
      Carrier:
      Panther
      Vehicle:
      Transit 350 Long/Tall Ecoblast
      Local P&D means more wear and quicker wear on many parts like brakes, starters, alternators, batteries etc. Even door hinges. Also more idling since idling OTR trucks is pretty much a thing of the past. Except for the bobtail asswhipes that park in the car lot at truck stops.

• Hino123

Hino123 Active Expediter Researching

Ratings:
      +31 / 0 / -0
      If you can find something built before 2007. Pre DPF/SCR. Im pretty partial to Hinos, but they can get expensive to fix when talking after-treatment just as all the other manufactures. I work at a Mack/Volvo/Hino dealership across from a international dealership. I know some of the techs from there and have been to many training classes with different international techs. I can honestly say I have never heard anything positive about those engines. I am 100% serious when I tell you that from 3 different sources I was told they have been removing the maxforce 7's and retrofitting Cummins midrange engines in place. I would stay far away from any 2008 and up international engines. The old 466 was a beast the new stuff not so much. Just my 2 cents.