2014 International 4300 Box truck

Pyndyk

Rookie Expediter
Fleet Owner
Hi guys, I have 5 Sprinter vans and looking to add a 26 ft Box truck;

Found some decent looking 2014 models with 150-170K miles for about $26K-$30K

How is your exepience with Inter ST?

Should I buy Hino or M1 class from the Freightshaker?

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Decent enough truck for around town or just doing out and backs. Don't think it will put up with the riggers of otr.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whats the history on the units? 150-170 K seems awfully low mileage to sell anything Diesel.
Sure the mileage looks good but how many service or engine hours are on it? That makes all the difference because 150 170 K in a major city is exponentially different than all highway. You could have almost double that or more in operation hours if it was used in a major city, as a service truck, or any situation where it spent allot of time idling. Also whats the service history, was it treated and serviced properly or did the previous owners / users beat the living hell out of it?
Anything Diesel I would recommend leasing through Penskee. Considering the cost of servicing or repairing emissions components is several grand on the cheap. What I liked best about leasing is If it breaks they bring you a truck and get you back on the road. As long as you don't cause damage the repairs are on them not you.

Reactions: Moot and Pyndyk

la90043

Expert Expediter
Budget and many other rental lease companies all sold them. Got rid of them. Dumped them.
C.A.R.B. requirements. Emission system is junk. Do not buy. Research it.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Decent enough truck for around town or just doing out and backs. Don't think it will put up with the riggers of otr.
If can handle the riggers of local stop and go freight, it should be able to handle freeway driving.
Also isn’t it true that local trucks age faster then OTR trucks.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
International has a notorious reputation about selling junk. Ever since the the feds required emissions in 2003, International has lagged behind its competitors, chiefly in the competence department. It's like they never grasped the concepts of producing an engine that would withstand the rigors of not failing. One need only look at the Prostar with the Maxfarce engine. If you want to talk straight trucks, one need only look at the 4300 with the DT engine. I was lease purchasing one in 2006/2007, and am extremely lucky the engine crapped itself before I finished buying it. It had 160k on the engine.

My opinion... stay away... far away.

guido4475

Not a Member
International has a notorious reputation about selling junk. Ever since the the feds required emissions in 2003, International has lagged behind its competitors, chiefly in the competence department. It's like they never grasped the concepts of producing an engine that would withstand the rigors of not failing. One need only look at the Prostar with the Maxfarce engine. If you want to talk straight trucks, one need only look at the 4300 with the DT engine. I was lease purchasing one in 2006/2007, and am extremely lucky the engine crapped itself before I finished buying it. It had 160k on the engine.

My opinion... stay away... far away.

I had several Internationals and they are incredibly dependable and could take a beating like no other. The DT466 engine, derived from the DTA360, is an incredible wet sleeve engine that has been around for a long time. Even the 530 engine was an excellent powerhouse. I am sure the emissions systems were the culprit of many problems for these engines, as well as other makes of diesel engines, once they were put on any of these engines. How many Sprinter engines have internal problems? Id think its safe to say very little, but add the emissions system on these engines, and that's where most problems start, not only for Sprinter diesel engines, but others as well.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If can handle the riggers of local stop and go freight, it should be able to handle freeway driving.

Hino disproves that theory.
Thank you!

I stand by my comment...... good enough for around town, but i wouldn't trust it for otr.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Local P&D means more wear and quicker wear on many parts like brakes, starters, alternators, batteries etc. Even door hinges. Also more idling since idling OTR trucks is pretty much a thing of the past. Except for the bobtail asswhipes that park in the car lot at truck stops.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
If you can find something built before 2007. Pre DPF/SCR. Im pretty partial to Hinos, but they can get expensive to fix when talking after-treatment just as all the other manufactures. I work at a Mack/Volvo/Hino dealership across from a international dealership. I know some of the techs from there and have been to many training classes with different international techs. I can honestly say I have never heard anything positive about those engines. I am 100% serious when I tell you that from 3 different sources I was told they have been removing the maxforce 7's and retrofitting Cummins midrange engines in place. I would stay far away from any 2008 and up international engines. The old 466 was a beast the new stuff not so much. Just my 2 cents.

djidok

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi guys, I have 5 Sprinter vans and looking to add a 26 ft Box truck;

Found some decent looking 2014 models with 150-170K miles for about $26K-$30K

How is your exepience with Inter ST?

Should I buy Hino or M1 class from the Freightshaker?

Stay away from anything with a Maxforce engine. terrible on fuel and blow more often than not. If you're looking to go with an international id stick to 07 and older or 2015 and newer with the cummins in it. Dont even bother with the MaxForce motors.

Im personally running an 04 with the older 466 with 149k when i bought it