Cargo Van 2013 Chevy Express Clicking

tseders93

Active Expediter
Driver
OIl change approx 500 mi ago, oil pressure dropped off to 0 in a second flat. stopped immediatly.

sat overnight waiting to call fleet owner, started next morning to 40 psi oil pressure (normal from what i'm used to)

was told to drive ~15 miles to shop to see if sender unit was working

was told it was indeed working but not if it was sending the correct value (already knew it was working because it read 40 this morning)

changed oil filter (it was a fram I know) oil pressure came up to ~28psi

HOWEVER, now there is a random clicking noise that only happens when engine is cold started or if RPMs are brought up and then brought back to idle. Any ideas?

EDIT: it is not valve train noise, but I'm used to that

Can
Hear
Every
Valve
Yelling

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
OIl change approx 500 mi ago, oil pressure dropped off to 0 in a second flat. stopped immediatly.

sat overnight waiting to call fleet owner, started next morning to 40 psi oil pressure (normal from what i'm used to)

was told to drive ~15 miles to shop to see if sender unit was working

was told it was indeed working but not if it was sending the correct value (already knew it was working because it read 40 this morning)

changed oil filter (it was a fram I know) oil pressure came up to ~28psi

HOWEVER, now there is a random clicking noise that only happens when engine is cold started or if RPMs are brought up and then brought back to idle. Any ideas?

EDIT: it is not valve train noise, but I'm used to that

Can
Hear
Every
Valve
Yelling
Oil pump!!!!

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
If this 6.0 is it direct injected there was an issue with clicking because of high fuel pump pressure

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Which engine ?!

If a gasser, they'd sometimes break exhaust manifold bolts. The leak would sound like a click or knock.

tseders93

Active Expediter
Driver
Sorry for super late rwply, engine is 4.8 gasserr w 250k miles

Oil pressure consistently reading 20lbs at hwy speed and 10psi idle for past 8k miles

Will check in morning on exhaust manifold.

As far as oil pressuree my thoughts are pump. Calls for 5w30 and thats what im running

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

Oil pressure consistently reading 20lbs at hwy speed and 10psi idle for past 8k miles

As far as oil pressuree my thoughts are pump. Calls for 5w30 and thats what im running

If it's the pump, that should be easy enough to solve but I'd do it sooner rather than later.

Did they also do a 100 pt check or something like that? Make sure they put everything back together. Like the air filter lid.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's been my experience that low oil pressure is rarely the fault of the pump, more likely the main bearings are worn and can't hold the pressure.

I have a 2010 4.8 in a van with 492k on it and it has about 50psi when cold and it drops to about 30 when warm and idling.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

You need to read this article. Not because it will help you in any way, but because it is awesome.

Stock GM LS Engine - Big Bang Theory - Hot Rod Magazine

Reactions: coalminer and Moot