2012 Mercedes Sprinter 144" 3.0 Diesel Opinions

zanico

Expert Expediter
Looking to purchase a 2012 Mercedes Sprinter 3.0 Turbo Diesel 144 inch wheel base. It has just under 68000 miles. They are asking $21,999. Car fax is clean. Looking for some opinions on this. I know the wheel base is shorter than ideal. But besides that, what are the pros and cons to this year sprinter? Thanks in advance.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The biggest thing is what you stated, to short I wouldn't touch it. Other than that high repair costs on sprinters can really hurt some people. I have a 2012 long and tall but if I was buying today chances are it would not be a sprinter.

Last edited:

MB220D

New Recruit
Researching
The biggest thing is what you stated, to short I wouldn't touch it. Other than that high repair costs on sprinters can really hurt some people. I have a 2012 long and tall but if I was buying today chances are it would not be a sprinter.
So if it would not be a Sprinter what would it be? thanks

zanico

Expert Expediter
It would be a Ford transit with eco boost. Not sure you can get the 3500 and stay under 10001lbs if not the 2500. Long and tall of course.
Thanks for the responses. I had read that there were problems with the Sprinters 2008-2013. Just wanted the opinions of those who actually drive them. Was hoping for different results, but thanks for the honesty. My second choice is the Ford Transit, so I'm glad to hear that would be a good one.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would be problems with 2007 to current. Good vehicles and still the most space front and back, best riding but maintenance can be a back breaker for some.

zanico

Expert Expediter
That would be problems with 2007 to current. Good vehicles and still the most space front and back, best riding but maintenance can be a back breaker for some.
Noted...The article I read mentioned 2008-2013, but that's beside the point. I'm no longer in the market for a Sprinter. I've re-routed my search in the direction of a decent 2-3 year old Ford Transit 250.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
GAS HOG! :confused2: Nothing like a 06 or waiting for prices to drop on a modern 4cylinder... 2018 Sprinter where you at??? HURRY UP AND RELEASE

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bro stick to the years 04-06 sprinter. They are easy to maintain and if you know what your doing you can pull the engine and transmission in 2 hours. Its very easy to maintain and will last you a very long time if you maintain It. No doubt it is the best van in the world for this business and you can get one for 3-5k at the auction. If your going to get a new van get a Ford Transit twin turbo eco boost 3500 high roof long base but It will run you about 36,000 for 2017. This is if you want to buy a new van.. if your doing expediting stick to a diesel but let you be warned that these new diesels are not worth the price tag nor the emissions head ache. I drive an 06 sprinter and keep a 2nd van at home for parts. If I notice a substantial loss of oil in my engine I will prepare another engine which I can buy for 2-3k... Or I will buy another Sprinter for 3-4k and pull the engine and now I have even more parts. Take this advice and run with It.

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bro stick to the years 04-06 sprinter. They are easy to maintain and if you know what your doing you can pull the engine and transmission in 2 hours. Its very easy to maintain and will last you a very long time if you maintain It. No doubt it is the best van in the world for this business and you can get one for 3-5k at the auction. If your going to get a new van get a Ford Transit twin turbo eco boost 3500 high roof long base but It will run you about 36,000 for 2017. This is if you want to buy a new van.. if your doing expediting stick to a diesel but let you be warned that these new diesels are not worth the price tag nor the emissions head ache. I drive an 06 sprinter and keep a 2nd van at home for parts. If I notice a substantial loss of oil in my engine I will prepare another engine which I can buy for 2-3k... Or I will buy another Sprinter for 3-4k and pull the engine and now I have even more parts. Take this advice and run with It.
I have to agree with this. All the break down repair talk with these newer vans is making my choice of staying with more reliable pre-DEF sprinters easier

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I used to agree. Bought my 2005 Sprinter for that reason. And yes, I still think its better than the new one.

But after replacing the transmission control board, e brake cables, steering u joint, engine wiring harness, alternator, starter, fan clutch, blower motor, egr (well kinda sorta), suspension, wiper arm, and repainting it once only to rust again, with it needing a water pump, turbo resonator and hose and complete rotor brake and hose job, and a potential steering pump or rack, not to mention the big hole in the a/c condenser...

Well, next van is a nice dirt simple gasser with cheap easily available parts.

Reactions: RoadTime