Mechanical 2012 hino 716 hybrid

wotman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi I am thinking of buying a 2012 Hino 716 hybrid.
I would love to know the cons about one.
There is only one for sale in aus so i am struggling to find out if they are good or bad.
The batteries worries me.
Anyone whom knows anything about that model please advise.
Brett.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi I am thinking of buying a 2012 Hino 716 hybrid.
I would love to know the cons about one.
There is only one for sale in aus so i am struggling to find out if they are good or bad.
The batteries worries me.
Anyone whom knows anything about that model please advise.
Brett.
There is a hybrid model available in the US. I dont know how it compares to the AUS models.

Are you buying it for fuel economy reasons? Is there a tax rebate available for more fuel efficient vehicles?

For the US models:
If you are going to be making dozens of stops every day in a big city, the hybrid makes sense. This is where it shines.

If the plan is to frequently go large distances between cities, it does not make sense. The hybrid portion gets its power from regenerative braking. The diesel engine does not charge the hybrid battery.

The battery is a ton of NiMH cells stacked together. Lethal voltage, for you tinkerers out there. This system is very reliable, but if a problem does arise, the only person who can fix it has to be familiar with hybrids.

wotman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
There is a hybrid model available in the US. I dont know how it compares to the AUS models.

Are you buying it for fuel economy reasons? Is there a tax rebate available for more fuel efficient vehicles?

For the US models:
If you are going to be making dozens of stops every day in a big city, the hybrid makes sense. This is where it shines.

If the plan is to frequently go large distances between cities, it does not make sense. The hybrid portion gets its power from regenerative braking. The diesel engine does not charge the hybrid battery.

The battery is a ton of NiMH cells stacked together. Lethal voltage, for you tinkerers out there. This system is very reliable, but if a problem does arise, the only person who can fix it has to be familiar with hybrids.
My reason for wanting that truck is because it is the only one that size on the market.
The pantech is the best quality on the market.
The hybrid part of it i dont really care about but it comes with it.
The work it would do is local deliveries of our work we manufacture.
It would get used once a week. It would only do 20 to 30kms.
I dont care about saving on fuel.
My big concern is any repair bills for the future.
Would the minimum use it would get with me shorten its life span?
My other truck on done 30,000kms in five years.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
My reason for wanting that truck is because it is the only one that size on the market.
The pantech is the best quality on the market.
The hybrid part of it i dont really care about but it comes with it.
The work it would do is local deliveries of our work we manufacture.
It would get used once a week. It would only do 20 to 30kms.
I dont care about saving on fuel.
My big concern is any repair bills for the future.
Would the minimum use it would get with me shorten its life span?
My other truck on done 30,000kms in five years.
I think it'll last forever in those conditions.