2012 Hino 338 Electrical Disaster - HELP!

Matt Coaker

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Bought a 2012 Hino 338 in 2016 with approx 20,000 miles on the truck. It was being used at the time in Louisiana as a flat bed delivering small residential garbage cans. We bought it with a Salvaged Title because it had gone through SuperStorm Sandy on the East Coast in 2012. We should have known better but since it had been in service for a few years, our thinking was that all the bugs should have been worked out and everything would be fine. Obviously not the case since it had been submerged and here we are. The truck ran fine for us for over a year, then one day it just shut down. Had it towed to the local Hino service center, and the code was something to do with the ECU not communicating with the DEF system. I don't know all the specifics of what they did (but can find out if it turns out to be relevant) but they were able to get that resolved and the truck ran fine for a few days under no load. First trip with an equipment load and the truck shut down again. Had it towed and this time another ECU communication issue but not the same one. They got the truck to crank and run one time after this. Since December 2017, they have not been able to get the truck to crank at all. Supposedly have ordered special code readers, test computers and have had Hino experts come in from elsewhere to no avail. They have resorted to either giving up completely and leaving us with a truck to scrap or to change out the entire electrical system and all computers for around $30,000. Obviously we are reluctant to drop this kind of $$$ in a truck that we are unsure about the longevity of. Short of replacing the entire electrical system, does anyone have a suggested place to start with replacing or testing individual electrical components? Likely problem components for erratic and unpredictable electrical issues?? Or any advice whatsoever short of sending it to the scrap yard?? Any input or help would be appreciated!!

Matt Coaker

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Not what i was hoping for but I was afraid of that. Truck looks great and mechanical components are sound. Any suggestions for a market to sell it for parts? Or to find one to use for parts?