Mechanical 2012 Hino 268A - Trying to monitor BCU (code P141F) - Burner Control Unit

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
2012 Hino 268A - Trying to monitor BCU (code P141F) - Burner Control Unit
Vin: 5VPNJ8JV4C4S53377
Mileage - Approx 300K

Short Question: How the hell do I access the BCU for a test to monitor its performance? (Using DX2) Screenshots below.

CEL is on. Truck isn't performing passive regen (but possibly trying, according to driver), but is forcing driver to stop for manual regen, which is taking about 25-30 minutes. Upon startup, I could hear a fast clicking/ticking noise coming from somewhere around the DPF, but didn't inspect further and sent the truck out. Not sure if ignitor unsuccessfully trying to fire? Truck ran fine overall, but need to get her fixed. I plan on cleaning/replacing the ignitors, nozzle, etc if necessary, but still just trying to learn as well so I'd like to monitor the regen to see its overall performance.

(Quick Background: This truck was diag'd by dealer June 2017 with catastrophic failure of DPF system, yada yada. I was stuck/needed truck rolling, and didn't have time to keep towing truck (in derate) around for others to diag with next closest dealer about 100 mi away. Anyhow, dealer charged me about $12.5k to replace whole system. Pretty sure I got ripped, like real hard. Now, I try anything I can to not go back there....but the truck has run fine since then)

I have DX2 software, just don't know how to use it very well.

Trying to run a test to monitor the BCU (The items below as suggested in other threads).
Engine speed
Engine torque
Burner inlet temp
Flame temp
Burner outlet temp
target burner outlet temp
air pressure
atomizer fuel pressure
nozzle pressure
burner state

Question: How the hell do I do this? I've been messing with this software for hours, but can't find these items to check. My understanding is I need to go to the "Data Monitor and Active Test"upload_2019-1-1_13-19-54.png

From There: I'm guessing I select the "Data Monitor Setting"?

upload_2019-1-1_13-22-51.png

I do that, then get this window to make your selections. However, These selections don't include the items/parameters I'm trying to find/select based on the info from other threads.

upload_2019-1-1_13-25-2.png

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Go into BCU and select those parameters. You are attempting to monitor pressures and sensors in the Burner Control Unit (BCU) through the ENGINE (ECU). I just quoted 6 injectors, DPR, DOC and all required gaskets for a cust and PARTS alone totaled 12k. I’m not sure you got as hosed as you think. Proper maintenance on the burner unit every 75k & 150k will solve most common issues. You state the unit has 300k but if it idles more than 10% I would perform the maintenance more frequently. Essentially it should have had the 150k performed 2 times already. 150k entails removing the nozzle, 2 igniters, flame temp sensor, the Combustion air valve orifice, Clean any soot from the orifice and check the depth of the mantle. It should be a depth of 3/4 in and sound solid when you tap it. (I use a pocket screwdriver) Reinstall the cleaned orifice and replace all of the other components they you removed. Replace the Burner fuel filter and air dry cartridge. Then reset the 150k burner maintenance flag in activation test. I usually perform the “DPR check an verify DPR Diff pressure is in spec, but most people decline removal and cleanings of the DPR. I see in your screenshot that the BCU is not selected. When you connect to the truck select BCU only if you like, then go to activation test/data monitor and you will find the parameters you are looking for.

Reactions: greasytshirt

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm....

When you say "Go into BCU, through ECU", can you help me clarify? Because I'm still lost. On the left side of the screen, there are three options:
(Engine, DCU, and VCS)

Wait a sec...Do you mean on this screen, I should select the BCU option?, bc again, I don't see it there: I have been using the 16 pin (I think its 16) standard connector/port (like on a car) instead of the other 6 or 9 pin (whichever it is). Would this make a difference in the info I'm able to select?
upload_2019-1-5_9-44-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-5_9-42-33.png
    upload_2019-1-5_9-42-33.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 11

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Select 600 series in vehicle classification. Not 300 series. 600 series is a conventional (has a hood) 300 series is a COE (cab over engine). 300 COE's did not have a BCU.
Your soooo close.

Reactions: greasytshirt

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re E E E eally?... Well, that makes a lot of sense. I just went with the option that said North America behind it...and did think it was odd it was listed as COE. I just assumed my bootleg software was slightly limited/missing :censoredsign:. Forgive my ignorance, as I'm not a mechanic and I'm brand new to using vehicle computer software, so absolutely no training/experience....all trial and error.....mostly error. Thanks again!