2012 Hino 268A - Shuts off randomly/when entering reverse

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2012 268A. When you turn the key, it acts almost like a dead battery, except the radio, headlights all turn on and appear as full power. The dash lights will not turn on as normal. The park brake light on the dash turns on, but super faded, then gradually brightens, then after 20-30 seconds, all lights on the dash turn on as normal, then the truck fires right up like perfect battery power. Usually stays running, but oddly, when you enter reverse and try to go, it dies.

No codes on DX2 to point me in the right direction.

All the connections on the batter are clean and tight. I'm thinking maybe a starter relay or ignition relay, but there are no diagrams for relays in the manual or in the fuse covers. Does anyone have a relay diagram, or maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree all together.

I appreciate any help you have to offer.

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never dealt with that, but it sure sounds like a grounding problem that has been discussed here before. GreasyT has some great posts about how to clean and check the chassis ground connections that you can find with a little searching. Or it could also be water in the underhood box which is also covered at length. That may be a little more involved repair.

I have the 2012 Electrical diagram in pdf. Shoot me a pm and I'll send it to you.

Reactions: Jordan and Turtle

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's fixed. Just a little more googling and found another thread on here with similar symptoms: 2017 Hino 268 Starting Issue

Power Relay #3. Inside passenger dash fuse panel. Top row. Third from right. Still don't know what is powered by this relay because I can't find a breakdown, but greasytshirt nailed it in the other thread! greasytshirt your work here means an incredible amount!