2011 338 with malfunction of DEF injector code

RaymondsRepairMA

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hello all, I've looked thru this forum a few times for various jobs, but this is my first time posting (obviously). We are working on a 2011 Hino 338 for a moving company with currently 208,xxx miles. We take care of their whole fleet which now includes several hinos from 2009-2016).
On a recent trip home from Virginia to Massachusetts, the truck went into a reduced speed/limp mode and the SCR light and check engine lights came on. (The driver had just done a parked regen as the truck requested earlier in the trip and the DPR gauge was only on the 2nd bar by the time it got to our shop.) He stopped the truck for a while, and when it had cooled off, it was out of limp mode and the SCR light wasn't on (check engine still was). After driving for a little while it would do it again, but would then run fine after letting it cool down.
When it got here, it had 3 active codes of P2047 malfunction of the DEF injector, P20A1 abnormality in the DEF pump reverting valve (which we can hear working when the truck is off), and P0410 (not important). Also had 9 inactive codes of P2214 downstream NOx characteristic, P0087 common rail pressure control system, P0263, 66, 69, 72, 75, 78 all intercylinder compensation errors, and the generic P204F.
I was able to remove and test the DEF injector with my snap on scanner and hino software. It seemed to be working fine and spraying good, but we are very unfamiliar with these trucks. I cleared the codes and ran a successful forced regen, bars went to zero. Put a couple hundred miles on the truck and it came back with P2047 active and again running fine cold and limp mode when hot. (p204f and p0263 and 72 inactive)
I did order a new DEF injector, is there anything we'll have to do after we change it? We don't think the DEF filter has ever been changed (we didn't even know there was one until I read the post on burner maintenance) so that's getting changed, too. Is that most likely the only problem or is there other parts we should think about replacing?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Replace the def injector. Every time the thing sets codes for the injector, you can be sure to see it again. The interval for def filter replacement is something like 100k.

Outlet NOx sensor failure is common.

Have the fuel injectors evaluated. They cause burner issues.

I started a thread about burner maintenance. Read up on that.

You need to be able to see live dcu and bcu data. I doubt seriously that the snap on tool can do that.

Edit : stupid autocorrect.

Last edited:

RaymondsRepairMA

New Recruit
Mechanic
Okay, thank you!!! I did see and read thru that post.
This truck also has an oil leak coming coming from under the cam cover so I'll have the injectors tested at the same time.

Thanks!!!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The injectors are now spill tested. Hino DX2 software is needed to do this, along with some apparatus. Since it's out of warranty, I suppose you can do it the old way. Command engine to run at 1500, monitor injection quantity, condemn anything under 7mm3 (approximately), condemn for high rpm delta .

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The head gaskets like to leak oil at the right rear corner of the head, and behind the turbo. Take a good look at that area.

RaymondsRepairMA

New Recruit
Mechanic
Thank you for the info! and that is exactly where it's leaking, good to know it'll be a deeper project than the guys had planned.