2008 Hino 338 Coolant problem

Richard Zimmerman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My 2008 Hino 338 with 75k miles used for local service that has never overheated had a problem blowing out coolant and setting off alarm. Dealer replaced head gasket at a cost of 5500.00. Took on the road and alarm sounded again. Dealer had the head pressure tested, no problem but claimed injector cups were now the problem. Spent another 2300.00 to have fixed. Took on the road and immediately the service engine soon light came on. At the dealer now and claiming that the injectors miraculously have now gone bad. Being quoted 8000.00 and possibly up to 12000. I am not sure weather to give them the go ahead or call my attorney. Any thoughts?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
They should have done the injector cups at the same time they did the head gasket. You got screwed on that deal. And injectors just don't fail immediately. Nor does an injector job cost nearly that much. You need a diagnosis from someone who knows what they're doing.

Reactions: RoadTime

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Every time I replace a head gasket I replace the cups, you would be crazy not to. I agree with Greasy you got screwed there. Id be suspicious of the CEL as well, they could have left an injector solenoid screw loose when they were under there, or the jumper harnesses under the valve cover are fairly common to fail and cause a bad connection. Did you notice any drive ability issues, or a skip when the light was on. Is this a actual Hino dealer doing this work?