2008 Hino 258

Kentows

Rookie Expediter
I have a 2008 Hino 258, I was traveling up 75 and the truck started cuting out and losing power. I pulled over shut the truck off checked all fluids . When I restarted the truck the computer must have reset because it ran fine . But after a while I had to do this again. Please point me in a direction to start looking. Thanks. Ken

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't believe your computer reset. I would go cheap. Replace the fuel filters.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Howdy.

Using the mode button and select/ set-reset toggle, cycle through the dash menu until you find 'system check'. Press up (pretty sure) once on the toggle. It'll say 'No Faults'. Press up and hold the toggle until the screen changes, it may take a few seconds. History faults should pop up. Press up on the toggle to cycle through them. Write them down. Do not clear them (it won't help you). Just press the mode button again to exit the menu.

What are the history codes?

Hopefully it's P0087/P0088 (low/high rail pressure). That's gonna be the least expensive scenario. If it's P0087, put a fuel filter on it and cross your fingers. If it's P0088, stop and get some contact cleaner, unplug the connector on the shiny, round, 1"x2" cylinder looking thing on the high pressure fuel pump, and hose out both ends. Cross your fingers.

While you're in there poking around, grab a can of some sort of penetrating lubricant and spray the linkage of the VNT controller. It's under/behind the turbo, and part of the linkage is hidden. Stand on the right front tire, look down at the turbo, and you'll see the upper link in the center of the turbo. Hose down that whole general area. It's gonna smoke when you fire it back up, but that's ok.

Was it doing a regen when it was losing power? If you watch the DPR indicator on the dash, as soon as it hits 3 bars it will start to regen. If this is the case, take off the big hose between the intercooler and the intake. Look in the intake. There's a throttle butterfly in there. Grab the plate and wiggle it. Is it tight? Does it have three hand-drilled holes in the bottom of the plate? If no, then you have a little work to do.

I'll wait for the history codes before going any further.

Last edited:

Kentows

Rookie Expediter
Thank guys I tried the regin but I could not get the light on the switch to come on. Not sure it's working. I talked to my driver and he said he doesn't thing the regin has ever came on. We are going to unplug the fuel rail and clean the connections, spray the turbo linkage and check the butterfly after we remove the hose, also is it normal that the truck sounds like it has no oil in it when it first starts up and is cold, goes away after it worms up. Thanks. Ken

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thank guys I tried the regin but I could not get the light on the switch to come on. Not sure it's working. I talked to my driver and he said he doesn't thing the regin has ever came on. We are going to unplug the fuel rail and clean the connections, spray the turbo linkage and check the butterfly after we remove the hose, also is it normal that the truck sounds like it has no oil in it when it first starts up and is cold, goes away after it worms up. Thanks. Ken
Were you able to get the history codes from the dash display? That would help me tremendously.

The truck will only allow a manual regen when the DPR meter on the dash is at three bars or higher. It will automatically regen without you even knowing it. How many bars are on the DPR meter?

The fuel rail pressure sensor is not the one I was referring to. It's the silver cylinder on the high pressure pump, which is attached to the air compressor, driver's side of truck. You'll know it's the right connector when you start cussing trying to reach it.

The cold start clatter is caused by one of two things: An unmodified Intake Throttle Valve getting stuck (the butterfly), and/or your injectors are not healthy. Hopefully it's the ITV and it's unmodified. That'll solve a few problems.

Get the codes from the dash and post them here. Then inspect the ITV. Then put a fuel filter on it. By the way, these take a high efficiency filter. Using a cheapo filter will just ruin the injectors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sutton