2007 Sprinter Transmission

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
I'm puzzled by the fact that my 2007 Sprinter transmission has no dip-stick so that you can inspect the fluid level. What are other owners doing in this regard. Is there an aftermarket widget? Not having any problems with the van, but trying to think in advance. Any idea how many miles I should/might get before thinking of a new/replacement tranny? Mine has 130K on it. What about just changing the fluid - is there a filter in there as well? Guess I really need to get ahold of a manitenance manual. Thanx for any/all responses.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
None of them have a dipstick except the one behind the wheel..;):D

They sell the "tool" to check its just about 100 bucks...as long as you do the required PM tranny/rear end you should have no need for one...I don't..

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
...as long as you do the required PM tranny/rear end you should have no need for one...
In an ideal world, yeah that's true ..... however the electrical connector on the right front has, in the past, been prone to leaking .... and the pan can leak as well (right front corner IIRC)

These leaks tend to be fairly small - but if you develop one out on the road, it would be nice to have a way to determine when you've added enough fluid to bring the level back up to normal - so that transmission damage can be avoided.

I carry motor oil, rear end gear oil (what if your front pinion or rear axle seals start leaking ?), engine coolant/anti-freeze, and tranny fluid .... and the dipstick .....