Big Truck 2007 387 Truck Build

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello all!

I've already posted in the New Member section, but I wanted to show my current build in progress.

My wife and I have come to the conclusion that our current vehicle, a 2003 Ford F-650 w/ 36" sleeper and 24' Box, is not enough for the work available.

We have been turning down work due to weight. A LOT of work. So much so we are going to build a bigger truck!!

I recently purchased a 2007 Peterbilt 387 from the auction in Milan, IL (Formerly Bettendorf, IA) in Feb.
We then looked high and low for a shop to stretch the truck. Low and behold we found one not 15 minutes away from our home!!

Heavy Equipment Services
2290 Business Us 20 E
Freeport, IL 61032
815-235-7131

They were happy to help and could provide a fairly large portfolio of vehicles they had stretched, from ILDOT to private companies like myself.

My early pictures of the truck are minimal, but I will take as many as I can as the stretch progresses and time allows.

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
This was last week. I'm working so I am not able to go into the shop and take daily pictures, but they said I could. Never been into a shop that said I could basically hang out all day and watch the progress.

I'm hoping to go back tomorrow and get pictures of the first half of the frame pieces welded up. Hopefully more pictures to come!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Looking good. I'm very curious what box you're placing on the truck? MFG? Size? And why you decided on that model.

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Looking good. I'm very curious what box you're placing on the truck? MFG? Size? And why you decided on that model.

I went with used. Sadly I couldn't afford a completely new box and lift gate. I found a combo deal and went for it. 26' dry van, no reefer, cut down to 24 feet total including the liftgate platform. 102" wide and 97" high. So my box is like 23'??

Roll up door, you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a swing door box used and in decent shape for a good price.

So while not the best and biggest available, it will do the job. I don't have the paperwork right in front of me but I'm pretty sure it is a Marion brand box with an Anthony #2500 liftgate.

Total length of the truck bumper to bumper is 40' and change. DOT has some leeway with that figure but it's close enough to pass the tape measure test.

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Here are the latest pictures....

Not anywhere close to being finished welding but it stands on its own wheels!!!

I didn't have much time or I would have taken more.

Reactions: Moot and VSprinter

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know absolutely nothing about frame stretching but I'm curious as to why they didn't stagger the cuts on the frame rails so the joints were not directly across from each other. Do they bolt up a gusset plate on the inside of the frame at the weld or add a section of inner frame? I'm sure they know what they are doing but I was just curious.

Reactions: in-Transit

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I know absolutely nothing about frame stretching but I'm curious as to why they didn't stagger the cuts on the frame rails so the joints were not directly across from each other. Do they bolt up a gusset plate on the inside of the frame at the weld or add a section of inner frame? I'm sure they know what they are doing but I was just curious.
There are various methods, gussets being one of them. Staggering the cuts would be unusual.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Moot

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
The way I figure it....

If you stagger the cuts, you run the risk of welding the whole frame with a twist. As it is, the butt weld style of joint is prone to warpage. They had several cross members right at the ends of the rails in order to keep everything straight.

One would think using a kerf cut would be big, but not so. (cutting the end of the rail like this / instead of the plain vertical butt like this I )

For the inside of the frame rail, you can double up the frame, or add a gusset, or both in some cases. I have seen trucks that were stretched have double frame rails from the engine mounts all the way back. My truck however will have diamond gussets welded on each joint. I debated asking them to do the outiside as well, but the weight I will haul doesn't see to warrant them.