2006 Hino

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
I'm looking at a 06 Hino automatic. I would like some feedback on this truck from people who own or drive one. such as reliability, good turning radius or not, fuel mileage, good heater and a/c. things of that nature or anything that you would think of asking if you we're looking at a Hino.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do a search on Hino and read back through the last year or so of archives. There have been many discussions of Hino, some favorable and some pointing out their deficiencies.

garman351

Expert Expediter
havent found any good answers. anyone able to help me?

We have a 2007 Hino 338 with a 6 speed manual. They come with a 4.10 rear gear and that is to much for the highway, we had ours changed to a 3.90 and that worked out real good for us. We get around 10.4 Mpg. The whole drive train is American made other than the motor which is an awsome unit, (Yes) it does not have big power going up hills like a lot of other trucks have, but they do not get the Mpg we do either. We carry on the average around 6,000Lbs and that is no problem. We have a 102in sleper with a generator etc.

Hino has the best guarantee on the market, three years all parts & labor, used 2006? I'm not sure how that works. Sometimes buying new is better interest rate than a used unit? Hino has the best rates I have seen, my lease is around 6% compared to Freightliner wanting 11% on a 100K investment no thanks. I'm glad we did not buy a Freightliner, I have heard way to many complaints about the new stuff to suit me.

Make sure the seats were changed, to over the road seats. The day seats are no-good for long haul driving. The automatices are allison Auto's, 'good tough transmissions.

I would shop around for new pricing compared to your used unit your looking at just so you know where your at. Our truck has 145K miles on it and it has never given us any problems, other than a little more power would be nice, but Mpg is more importand to us. 20K between oil changes Hino recommends due to synthetic oil, oil changes are around $180 depending on where you go? Any truck stop that services trucks has Hino filters etc so that is not a problem.

Garman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just did a search on Hino and it returned 4 pages of results. I can't believe that some good answers are not in there. Perhaps they aren't the desired answers but plenty of answers none the less.

garman351

Expert Expediter
I just did a search on Hino and it returned 4 pages of results. I can't believe that some good answers are not in there. Perhaps they aren't the desired answers but plenty of answers none the less.

LDB:
Thats very informative?
I would bet the good Folk's over at Freightliner and Jon Mosier would totally agree with you.

What is it you drive? And you continue to buy from?
Garman

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Gotta be honest, I have never heard of a Hino achieving over 10 to the gallon unless it was going off a cliff. The horsepower derived from that engine with torque less than a regular pickup would make me wonder how mathematically it would be possible to achieve that milage. But....I quess there is a first time for everything.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I have several of the 6 speed HINO's and absolutely love them. They are holding up great and haven't had anything seriously go wrong with them. Fantastic warranty too. Don't know anything about the automatics: sorry!

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
There is a fleet owner who contracts with Tri-State and he uses Hino. I talked with him about his overall experience with them and for the most part he is favorable to the point he is selling off the other non Hino trucks and replacing them with new ones. For the money you get a good economical running expediter truck with a really good warranty.
If you still need information I could call him and see if he would be interested in speaking with you.
Let me know via pm.
If I decide to buy again, it will be a Hino.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Gotta be honest, I have never heard of a Hino achieving over 10 to the gallon unless it was going off a cliff. The horsepower derived from that engine with torque less than a regular pickup would make me wonder how mathematically it would be possible to achieve that milage. But....I quess there is a first time for everything.

Great Job Daveke:
I like your comment with your fictional analysis of a Hino only getting a decent Mpg unless it's going off a cliff. Unless you drive a Hino your torque & horse power numbers are a nice put down on paper only, but we drive a Hino and we get over 10 Mpg on a regular basis unless we are going through hilly country, which effects all trucks.

Hino Automatic's like any other truck the Mpg goes down from a stick shift truck. At least we can afford the interest rate when we purchased our Hino compared to Freightliner wanting to rip everybody off with high interest rates around 11% "Oh my credit rating is real good so dont go there," and thousands more dollars on extended warranty's. Hino's are a jewel in my opinion, and clearly lots of other People who own them seem to agree, (Hum) must be something to it.

Garman

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Maybe it's that custom axle ratio. I sure can't blame anyone for changing it. I guess I just don't understand why so many of these dealers (not just Hino) configure these trucks for expedite on trannys and axles that were made for local in the first place.

I was showing my wife what the Hino looked like while we were running down to south Florida the other day. It just so happened that both of them were broken down on the side of the Turnpike.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe it's that custom axle ratio. I sure can't blame anyone for changing it. I guess I just don't understand why so many of these dealers (not just Hino) configure these trucks for expedite on trannys and axles that were made for local in the first place.

I was showing my wife what the Hino looked like while we were running down to south Florida the other day. It just so happened that both of them were broken down on the side of the Turnpike.

I think many buy in lots so they have more flexibility with whom they can sell to, thus reducing excessive inventory.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LDB:

What is it you drive? And you continue to buy from?
Garman

I drive a class 8 Sterling. It's heavy duty enough to give a couple million miles of good service with proper care. With the MBE4000 and 10 speed autoshift it will get upwards of 10mpg on flat land at sensible speed and has plenty of guts when needed.

If folks are driving a Hino and satisfied with it then more power to them, no pun intended. I've driven a lesser powered truck and will not settle for that. I also will not settle for a truck turning 2000 rpm or higher at highway speed. I just do not believe that's acceptable.

I get excellent service from Jon and FL Knoxville. That's another reason I continue to buy there. He is a stand up guy and that's important to me.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't think one could compare a Sterling platform to one offered by Hino. Plain and simple, they aren't the same animal.
We have in our fleet as well a class 8 Sterling. It has a 750,000 mile warranty for whatever that is worth.
Yes, we bought them from Jon Mosier and would buy another one. Jon does a great job without a bunch of fluff and BS.
Its nice to walk in and be done in less than an hour.
Leo is right when looking at a truck that turns minimal rpms verses one at a constant 2000 or higher.
The biggest issue is ROI. Put a three year old Hino up against your choice comparison and you will have your answer.
Not sure on FLT interest rates but even Paccar has them at 7 if your credit is decent.
If you want cheaper, just go to your local bank or credit union.

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
Here's something to chew on...

Laura and I were in Fargo, ND. We had some issues with the fuel gelling after we did everything that the techs said (anti-gel, etc). We called HinoWatch to let them know that the truck was frozen, and since its still under a warranty, to ask what they suggested. They said that the nearest dealership that could help was 160 miles away in MN and that since this was a fuel issue, it would be chalked up as DRIVER ERROR which is not covered and we would have to pay for towing/repair (we don't own the truck). They gave us the number to the dealership in MN and they gave us an idea of how to try to get this thawed out on our own (removing the fuel filter and thawing that out, which worked... but we ended up with air in the line, along with the lines being frozen/gelled... good for the filter, crap for the lines).

We decided the best thing to do would be to call a local shop. We tried 4, plus the Petro where we were stopped. The Petro said they wouldn't even fool with anything on the truck because it's a Hino. Three of the places we spoke to had no idea what a Hino is. We often got responses like, "A Keno?" or "A Teno?" or "What did you say?"

We finally found a place that would help us out, and got a tow to that place. And believe it or not, they had heard of and worked on a HINO before (not a keno or a teno). They got us thawed out, and sent us on our way.

The next day (yesterday) E1 got us a load out of the frozen tundra. On the way to the pick up, the truck started doing this great putzing down the freeway. The truck wouldn't get up above 1700 rpm and not close to minimum speed. We got loaded, and limped our way down the road hoping that driving would thaw things out and help the fuel to flow a little more. Not so much. We called the dealership to let them know what was going on. The dealership said that we shouldn't use anything but the Hino brand filter because the other ones aren't proven to work (but thats a different episode). We told him that we were going to call the Speedco that we had a PM done at to get a cross-reference for one since they couldn't do it. When we pulled into Wahpeton, ND, we had the cross-reference that we needed. They had a filter that fit, thawed us out, and off we go.

I said all that to say this... No matter what they say, it's still going to freeze--and when it does, it's your fault. After $350, we got what should have happened the first time. And, all this because Hino doesn't have a built in provision for a fuel heater. If you really want a truck that's going to be the one that's crapped out on the FL turnpike and getting different questions from the shops because they've never heard of it... then a Hino is the truck for you.

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Critter what was the local temperatures where you were at that was causing the freeze up/gelling----also is your truck equiped with a generator or an APU ?

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
Hey Critter what was the local temperatures where you were at that was causing the freeze up/gelling----also is your truck equiped with a generator or an APU ?

As we sat, it was nothing for the temp to get down to a balmy -40F. Yes, that' a minus in front of that 40! However, Power System advertises protection to -40F. So that shouldn't have been a factor. We do have a generator, but that won't help keep the fuel warm. Bottom line is, that when you do what the techs say at the shop, it should work. When it doesn't work, the drivers shouldn't be left out to dry.

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
Ok Critter....... May I ask why you don't carry the most basic parts like a fuel filter, oil filter, replacement belts etc. It sounds like you were a little ill prepared to be on the road in that kind of weather.
Kat

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Kat, many out there are extremely ill prepared to:
Git r done
Make it easy on themselves in extreme conditions
Or, for self preservation

Seems to be the nature of the beast. Wing it every day, then whine when it goes south.
Probably isn't a set of chains within a couple miles of that truck either. Probably the Hinos fault.