2005 Sprinter starting problem

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Hey folks, I have an intermittent problem that 3 mechanics have not been able to find.. need ideas.

Those of you who have Sprinters will know, that when you turn the key 'on', the dash lights up, then you hear a 'click', the lights go out, and you turn key to start...

Well, every now and then, there is no 'click', and when I turn the key to 'on', nothing happens. Turn it off and on a few times, and it fires up like nothing was wrong. Battery is good, starter and relay are good, cables from battery to fuse box, to alternator, etc have been removed and cleaned of any corrosion.

Has been hooked up to code reader, only thing it shows is I will need some new glow plugs soon, but they said that should not affect normal starting. This does it cold or hot, and not every time.

It's just annoying!

Dale

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine starting doing that last month....took 2 tries after sitting for more then 24 hours.....which we seem to be doing more of....hahaha..poke, poke....

yesterday after it sitting a week...nothing...put cables on and tried a boost and fired right up....I think mine IS a weak battery....sprinters don't like weak batteries...

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I stopped at Autozone, they showed the battery as fine, but I have noticed every now and then it cranks slower than norm.. and a separate thing, every now and then when I hit the brakes, the headlights will blink. Maybe a higher amp battery?

Dale

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I stopped at Autozone, they showed the battery as fine, but I have noticed every now and then it cranks slower than norm.. and a separate thing, every now and then when I hit the brakes, the headlights will blink. Maybe a higher amp battery?

Dale

The last time AutoZone was real reluctant to swap out the battery...read warranty here...it always tested good....finally hit a manager that believed my dilema and changed it out and bingo....problem gone

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
It's supposed to go in for service tomorrow, and the mechanic is supposed to give it the once over again.. I know a good used battery place, (salvage take outs).. I might gamble the 20 bucks for a higher cranking amp .

Dale

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's supposed to go in for service tomorrow, and the mechanic is supposed to give it the once over again.. I know a good used battery place, (salvage take outs).. I might gamble the 20 bucks for a higher cranking amp .

Dale

get the highest you can that will fit...that is what I have....

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
It sounds like you have a finger on it, but you also might want to check the ignition switch. (it sounds too simple to be the fix but it DOES happen)

I know I start and stop my van more than a few times a day, and its possible to wear out the contacts in the switch. If the battery doesn't do it, you might try looking there next.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
When you say nothing happens when you turn the key do you mean the lights don't even come on or that it doesn't turn over? I had a starter solenoid that went bad and caused the exact same problems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is this happening when the key was on the accessory position? Mine has to be completely off before it will start.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Is this happening when the key was on the accessory position? Mine has to be completely off before it will start.

Off, to on... Sometimes it acts normal, sometimes not..

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
Ok.... My sprinter had the same problem... Next time it does not start take the cover off the fuse panel and push on it and see if it starts... if it starts the fuse panel is bad.... The dealer told me that the vibration causes some of them to go bad.... There should have been a recall on them but chrysler said it wasnt a big problem... good luck..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 24 hr battery....LOL....won't hold the charge longer then that...more then 24 hrs sitting won't even try to start....AutoZone time...I;ve been thru this before....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok.... My sprinter had the same problem... Next time it does not start take the cover off the fuse panel and push on it and see if it starts... if it starts the fuse panel is bad.... The dealer told me that the vibration causes some of them to go bad.... There should have been a recall on them but chrysler said it wasnt a big problem... good luck..

I remember the one time I picked up your load from your driver and I whitttled down a stick I found in a ditch and propped it up between the pedals to the fuse panel so he could at least drive it to the shop....LOL

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Dale,

Did you ever solve this ?

You didn't mention the year of the vehicle but I'd be having a look for a bad/corroded ground strap just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Dale,

Did you ever solve this ?

You didn't mention the year of the vehicle but I'd be having a look for a bad/corroded ground strap just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Yes, ...we had multiple gremlins..a bad fuse panel (steering column) and yes, some corroded connections ...that seemed to fix that... Also, replace cam sensor, crank sensor and just this week found another corroded ground, and got a shiney new starter lol.

They said my glow plugs are weak, but that's gonna have to wait til after Christmas. Within the last year it had a new tranny, radiator, and alternator, so I hope it's good for a while

Thanks for asking!

Dale.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums