Mechanical 2005 Sprinter Recall

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Today I received a recall on my Sprinter. Seems that a reprogramming of the engine control unit is in need of updating.

The MAF if fails, the check engine light will not illuminate or store error codes in the ECU.

Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you take your Sprinter into a dealer to have the reprogramming done, make sure you have enough to pay for a new MAF, because the instant the ECU gets reprogrammed the engine light will illuminate and a MAF failure code will be there.

The most common symptoms of a faulty Mass Airflow Sensor
  • The engine is very hard to start or turn over.
  • The engine stalls shortly after starting.
  • The engine hesitates or drags while under load or idle.
  • Hesitation and jerking during acceleration.
  • The engine hiccups.
  • Excessively rich or lean idling.
If you have those symptoms, just change the sensor. If you don't, and don't want to change the sensor, ignore the recall. :D

I ignored the recall. About once a year (or 2 or whenever I think of it) I remove the MAF and spray the wire really well with electrical contact cleaner.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh and don’t forget about buying a new EGR value. They did mention that as well as the MAF.

Besides, who needs the check engine light to come on.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup. If your EGR or MAF is bad, you'll know it without an engine light.

Some of the symptoms can mimic a bad fuel pump or a fe other things, but you'll get a light and a code for those.

FlyingVan probably knows more details about all this. He's the one who clued me in.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
You know you can pull the EGR out and clean it too right? Did mine every 50-60k.
Can a brake cleaner & a small wire brush, all you need

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Until forced by a failed emissions test, do not get the recall. Various unfixable issues will ensue (including possible failure of your instrument cluster) check it out on sprinter-source.com

If it was good enough for 13 years I don't get it, seems like a money grab to me