Mechanical 2004 Isuzu FRR cranks, no start

soutthpaw

New Recruit
I bought a 2004 Isuzu FRR at auction in non running condition. It has the 6HK1 diesel in it. Cranks over but does not seem to be getting any fuel to engine. I'm a auto mechanic but not much familiarity with the medium duty trucks. I noticed that I get no Tach response on the dash when cranking. Is it supposed to show the RPM's during cranking. (like the 7.3L ford trucks?) I don't have a manual but I do have lab scope and multimenter, Any suggestions on where to start? I am also looking for an inexpensive code reader for the truck. it has the OBD style connector. any suggestions, thanks
Southpaw

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some good stuff gets to auction.

I hope this guy gets some good ideas soon.
A no start can be a very good buy. Or not so good, depending on the repairs needed.

Reactions: FlyingVan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Southpaw, although you occasionally can get mechanical advice here, it’s easier to get Hino advice here because we’re blessed with some good Hino mechanics.
Also Freightliner advice because they are so common in this segment.
It’s really not a mechanical forum.
You may get some help here, but I’d search out Isuzu forums.
Good Luck, check back to see if anyone has any ideas.
Let’s us know how it turns out.

soutthpaw

New Recruit
well, This is going to be for personal use, toy hauling, just ordered a scan tool so I can pull the codes. Went to local Isuzu dealer and they were very helpful, talked to their Isuzu truck tech. Got some good info for things to test once I get the scan tool. For what I paid for it, I could pay that much again and still only be into it for about 1/2 what it's worth once it's running. I have been doing the auction thing for years as a hobby. Found a couple places that rebuild the injection pumps if that is what It ends up needing. No rush on getting it up and running as its just my future toy hauler.
The other thing I need to find out is how to convert it back to its non-de tuned HP of 275 instead of 200. The tech thought that year was not just an ECM reflash. When I am in LA this summer I will visit Tom's Truck center where they really know these trucks.

soutthpaw

New Recruit
Tried 2 different OBD HD 16 pin scan tools, they power up of the connector, but neither connects. Thinking computer issue or wiring issue to the plug. Gonna throw the tow bar on it and take out to the dealer, see if their IDSS will connect.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Last edited: