2003 Ford E-250 steering vibration

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
I'm driving a 2003 Ford E-250 Ext cargo van and have begun to notice excessive vibration. It feels to be in the steering. Its like I can feel every little bump on the road in my steering wheel as well as I am getting a lot of vibration in the steering wheel. The van has only 26,000 miles on it. I had tires rebalanced and it isn't due to tires or wheels. I took it to a Ford dealer and they came out and told me that the ball joints were loose and replaced them under warranty. It did tighten up the steering noticeably, but I am still dealing with excessive vibration. It is driveable, but can get annoying. I took it back into the dealer and they said that they found a technical service bulletin issued about the problem with no solution at the current time, but the service dept. manager is looking into getting some parts to replace and see if it helps the problem. He is supposed to be calling me back when he finds out any info.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there driving a late model Ford cargo van has experienced this problem and if so, what you have been able to find out about it or to correct it? Thanks for your time in advace.

Brian

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I can tell you from experience that we had allot of trouble with the ball joints on our E-250.

After the third set we just got used to it.:(

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I had these problems with our F-350's back in the 90's. The front suspension is similar to the E250 van. Check that your tires are not cupping.

--
Mike N

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
>I had these problems with our F-350's back in the 90's. The
>front suspension is similar to the E250 van. Check that your
>tires are not cupping.

Mike,

I'm not familiar with the term "cupping". Do you mean check the toe-in on them?...sorry, I feel kind of dumb asking. Thanks.

Brian

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
Lawrence,

Thank you for the informative web site. I see what it is that Mike was talking about with the tires "cupping". I had to replace tires around 16,000 due to a double blow out from running over road debris on the Penn. turnpike awhile back then I decided to changed the replaced tires with the original brand tires that came on the van so they matched the rears, so as for the cupping I haven't had a set of tires on long enough to see that. I just spoke to the service manager at the dealership and he said that they have ordered a lateral shock dampener of some sort that is supposed to help reduce the amount of vibration I feel in the steering.

Brian

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>Lawrence,
>
>Thank you for the informative web site. I see what it is
>that Mike was talking about with the tires "cupping". I had
>to replace tires around 16,000 due to a double blow out from
>running over road debris on the Penn. turnpike awhile back
>then I decided to changed the replaced tires with the
>original brand tires that came on the van so they matched
>the rears, so as for the cupping I haven't had a set of
>tires on long enough to see that. I just spoke to the
>service manager at the dealership and he said that they have
>ordered a lateral shock dampener of some sort that is
>supposed to help reduce the amount of vibration I feel in
>the steering.

Yea the lateral shock absorber (steering damper) was one of the things they did to my F350 in an effort to fix it's issues. It worked to some degree. Still was a problem to the day I sold the truck.

Also, thanks Lawrence for the great link!

--
Mike N

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bad ball joints can cause this, but check these other things too if the damper shock doesn't help:

Tire, wheel, or brake rotors out of balance or out of round
Loose or worn wheel bearings
Driveshaft out of balance
-Weave-

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
I'm frustrated at this point. I had a short load to deliver tonight to Toledo and on my trip found the van's vibration to be the worst it has been so far. I am starting to think that it could very well be a problem with the driveshaft out of balance or a universal joint possibly. I do have a vibration throughout the vehicle, I just originally assumed it was originating in the steering or front end because it was so noticeable in the steering. Since the vibration is so bad now I had to turn down a very nice load from Grand Rapids to Atlanta. x( So it looks like back to the dealership I go tomorrow AGAIN. I bought the van through Alumi-Bunk and may call them to see what they know about the issue and any dealers they know that have dealt with it in the Detroit area. I'm thinking that I may have better luck going to a dealer who is more aware of the issue.

Brian

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
Well, dealer rebalanced all tires to make sure it wasn't a balance issue and did an alignment to no avail. They will be ordering the lateral shock dampener and should have it when I'm back in town. I'm back on the road for now waiting for my next load down here in Kentucky. I did notice that when I drive on a concrete surface it seems pretty decent actually, but when I get on an asphalt or resurfaced highway it gets quite a vibration going if that makes something click to anyone reading. We'll see how the dampener works when I get back home next time.

Brian

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
USRoadrunner/Brian,

Thanks for the kinds words.

I hate to bring this up - but since it is a E-250, could it be the tranny that is causeing this? Again, we had a vibration that was caused by the tranny.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
Don't know what is going on with your van. I've had two E-250s. Put 367,000 on the 98 and have 366,000 on my 2001 now and have never had any kind of vibration problem. Never replaced any steering parts or shocks. First determine if it is driveline or wheel problem. If you have a 3.73 rear axle ratio the vibration will be 3.73 times as fast if it is driveline than it will if it is the wheels or brake rotors etc. In other words the engine, everything in the transmission, and the driveshaft will be turning 3.73 times as fast as the wheels and tire etc. You should be able to tell the difference easily. If it's driveline you should notice it when accelerating hard up through the gears. I have had a broken belt in a tire cause a vibration in other vehicles also but it is wheel speed, much slower than a driveline vibration. If the vibration feels to be engine speed I would check the driveshaft first. Pull it and check it for balance, straightness, and check each bearing in joints. Have you changed anything on the rear axle or springs,hangers etc that would change the driveshaft angle or alignment? Have you made any repairs or parts changes anywhere on the vehicle you haven't mentioned here?Good luck guy.

jalapenokid

Expert Expediter
Hi,
After looorking for many months, and learned and educated myself with all your questions and answers (Thank you all ) I will venture to put in my two pennies. I Ordered a 1977 Ford E350 from my local dealer, since what they have on their lot was not what I wanted, I was happy with my new truck to be used to expedite freihgt and worry about makin payments, after driving the truck for a month I noticed a vibration, took it to dealer and since it was under warranty no problem for out of pocket expenses, they told me it was fixed, down the road I went, to find out the same problem, returning to my city went to the dealer again, with same problem, they "fixed" dealer changed torque convertor, drive shaft, and some suspention parts, I drove this truck with the vibration till was out of warranty, time came to change brake pads, I had it done on a local brake place, they found out that the rear axle had two kind of brake shoes, left side the 3 1/2 shoes, the right side 2 1/2 (Go figure)after that the vibrations contined, at 170000 miles ,time for new brakes, this time I dit it myself with one of my sons helph, got new rotors, rear drums, pads and shoes, I went to work, and after 2 or 3 days later, I noticed that there was no vibration, (I was so used to it that never noticed the change!) a mechanic friend of mine told me that I had fixed the problem without even knowin, ider a worp rotor or out of round drum. I also had a front tires inside worn out pattern, I went to a alignment place and they told me they can't fix the problem if I did not change some type of "sealed bolts" in the suspention, since ford have a seal on them and can't be adjusted, they changed those bolts and that problem was for ever gone!no problems after that. Do you think the Ford dealer are not aware of customer service and vehicle solutios,that is a joke! In my case I feel they wanted my new truck guarranty expired so I could spend some serious money to properley fix it.
Just my two pennies, and sorry for the long post.
Best Regards to all of you, and all of you have my sincere respect and admiration for your to the point questions and answers. Hope this help some one wit these common Ford E350's problems.
jalapeno-kid :+ x( sorry for my speling I still have to learn how to type, South of the border and 35 years living in this land of opportunity country, God Bless America.

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
jalapeno kid,

Thank you for the insight on your problem and solution. I am still experiencing the vibration, but seems to come and go. I have not yet been able get it into the dealer to get the shock dampener installed due to being busy out on the road, but am hesitant anyway because I feel it is just a "band-aid" for whatever the real problem is. Also I am closing in on the factory 36k warranty and want to get this solved before I hit that mark or it comes out of my pocket as you suggested in your post. I may check into the balance of the rotors as I have 4 wheel disc brakes on the van. I don't know if the dealer checked for this. I would take a stab in the dark and say probably not.

Brian

aka us_roadrunner

klkpro

Expert Expediter
I used to manage a fleet of 13 E-350 15 passenger vans. While our use was different from expeditor use, I sent out music ministry bands for a year and about 35k miles a year towing a 6x10 tandem axle trailer at 5-6,ooo pounds(with an annual maintance scedule aside from tire rotations and oil changes), the bain of my existance the last year that I still had the fleet was random brake pull, mostly (and worst) in my late model (2001) units with only 50k or less on them (normally we ran these units 250k before retirment). The problem I was finally able to chase down on one was the brake rotors. I still never made complete sence to me but I can't argue with the results. I don't work with the fleet anymore, but I worked several years before without ever having any problems like this. I beleive that it may be possible that ford switched suppliers for some of its front rotors and the quality and consistency may be an issue including the race insert surfaces of the rotors themselves? A poor rotor could be causing your vibration mabey? By the way, a ford dealer fixed mine with off the shelf replacement parts and it has worked great ever since the repair. Just a thought. And I agree with you that the new part that they are offering you is a band aid and not a real repair.

Karl

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
Well, I have eliminated two possible causes of the vibration that I am feeling. I changed front rotors and also changed front shock absorbers. It seems to ride a little better with the new shocks, but I still have the vibration. It seems to not be there until I reach about 55 or 60 mph, then it gets worse especially around 70-75 mph. I guess at this point I will schedule to get the shock dampener installed since it will be under warranty and then go from there. I'll probably just have to deal with the dealership until I get this resolved one way or the other. Which is unfortunate because I feel they don't want to take the time to really track down the cause. Thanks again all for your knowledge and in-put on this subject. I will update the results of the shock dampener when I have the work done.

Brian

aka us_roadrunner

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
USR: Two questions.

1. Does the vibration get worse or better when you apply brake?

2. Have you moved the tires from front to rear?

--
Mike N

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
Mike,

I get no difference in the vibration when I brake. It seems to be related to the speed and road surface somehow. I have rotated my tires front to back early on after first noticing a slight vibration, but since then I have put a new set of tires on the front and they have not been on the back yet. I may rotate them to the back just for the heck of it to see what the result is. Kind of doubt its gonna do anything, but anything is worth a try.

Brian

aka us_roadrunner