2000 isuzu NPR coolent issue

jeff glass

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
I have a 2000 Isuzu NPR and the coolant drains fast out of bottle i.e. a couple days. no external leaks. Is it the injector coppers that cause this and the engine to die cause of low coolant?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2000 Isuzu NPR and the coolant drains fast out of bottle i.e. a couple days. no external leaks. Is it the injector coppers that cause this and the engine to die cause of low coolant?
Repost this in the Truck talk section for best results.

(I moved it - Turtle)

Last edited by a moderator:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Does this thing have common rail injection or a TICS injection pump? Pretty sure a TICS pump, but I'd want to confirm. Aftermarket stand-alone engine protection systems were common, and some had a low-coolant shutoff function. If yours does not have this, then there's probably a different issue causing engine stalling unrelated to low coolant level.

If there's no external coolant leaks at all, you're left with head gasket/injector cup/oil cooler failure as the most likely suspects. In my personal experience, it's just as likely that you've got an oil cooler failure as a head gasket failure.

You can try to rule it out by doing a combustion gas test. Amazon.com: UVIEW 560000 Combustion Leak Tester: Automotive

Here's one very similar to the one I use. If it fails this test, take the head off, have it checked for cracks, put new cups in it, and slap it back on.

Reactions: Joe Mavrik

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Oreilly Auto also rents the tester. You have to buy the fluid though. Pay upfront for the tester and fluid, return the tester and get the money back, so in effect, its free.