20 truck pile up on the Ohio Turnpike video

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Glad I did not take the loads that were offered yesterday, we would have run into that mess. Sitting at home is better. Gives me time to work on truck issues from here rather than a motel as well.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Sad.. last I heard the count was up over 50 vehicles over a 10 mile stretch or so.. never heard a final number. Didn't watch news tonight.

No way of knowing, but that expedite unit looks exactly like my old 96 Freightliner I used to drive... right down the the Peterbilt style sleeper.

Dale

140312-ohio-pileup-1956_c3394e580b67ae1dc7110425eec7e9a9.nbcnews-ux-800-700.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You would save miles taking sr 20 runs out to norwalk,oh

I'd keep an ear on the radio first, Ohio was advising drivers to stay off ALL roads, because the plows couldn't keep up & the wind was making it dangerous.
Looks like one of those times when it is smarter to park than detour.
This winter was the worst I can remember - sure hope it's about finished already.
And I hope that expedite truck wasn't one of 'ours' - my thoughts are with those who got caught in that mess.

PS I got a msg from my daughter in Cleveland saying I 480 was shut down, too, though it's probably open by now.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
too much speed and tailgating.....too bad for the ones that got caught in that mess by the stupid ones thinking they were invincible......and there looks to be many stupid ones....

One reason I won't drive in that crap...I try to preserve MY space but others encroach on it making it crowded around me...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lets see now: which driver safety course did they attend? Hmmmm, how long will it take to blame a 4 wheeler for that mess?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lets see now: which driver safety course did they attend? Hmmmm, how long will it take to blame a 4 wheeler for that mess?

you'll notice I did not blame anyone but the stupid ones....which ever they might be...stupid is not confined to any one vehicle....besides that even if it were 1 idiot....the rest were obviously following too close and too fast to be able to avoid....

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
.I try to preserve MY space but others encroach on it making it crowded around me...
You can keep the space ahead of you, but are still at the mercy of those tailgating behind.
There is "collision avoidance" technology on the shelf that could help. Space around vehicles would be insured. I don`t know if there is ever a chance in he** of ever getting it implemented. The only supporters are probably the ones that have been involved with a pileup like this.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can keep the space ahead of you, but are still at the mercy of those tailgating behind.
There is "collision avoidance" technology on the shelf that could help. Space around vehicles would be insured. I don`t know if there is ever a chance in he** of ever getting it implemented. The only supporters are probably the ones that have been involved with a pileup like this.

Most seem to think that space in front of me is for them....DOH:rolleyes:

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most seem to think that space in front of me is for them....DOH:rolleyes:
That space drives them crazy. They can`t wait to jump into it, even if they have no intention of going faster than traffic. I stopped letting it bother me. and just back off, waiting for the next idiot. I always managed to keep 100% ontime anyway.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Just went past it, its still a mess east bound, the expediter truck was something overdrive, small greenish decals. It is a lot of carniage of trucks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
It is currently a 12 mile backup to get through

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know if this was a whiteout? If so, how can anyone know of any space in front of them?

That is so true....and IF any of them had a sliver of sense..that much gusting wind and snow equals a chance of ????.... hmmmm that much mayhem doing 30 mph...think not...