20 Top Things not to eat and why

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Not really. :confused:
Eating a healthy nutritious diet is not about living longer. Medical science has no proof of that hypothesis. It is about improving the quality of life until you do eventually pass on.
For most people, there is a period of time when they have illness prior to death. For those who suffer from heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc. that time period can be many years. This can cause both physical and financial hardship for both the individual and their loved ones. It also creates a burden on society in regards to the health care costs.
Consuming a nutritious diet, avoiding harmful foods and exercising can prevent or delay the onset of the chronic conditions mentioned above which can shorten the period of illness prior to death. This can provide many more years of enjoyable quality of life.
Many people feel that this is worthwhile goal.

Note: The above is a simplistic example. There are other mitigating factors such as genetics and environment; however, nutrition plays a major role.

I certainly hope most people have a greater "point in living" beyond enjoying the taste of unhealthy foods.

I pray that you did not teach your children this nonsense. I will try to make this as simple as possible. Exercise burns calories. It does not burn off any of the other molecules that you take in from harmful foods.
For example: The calories created from all of the ice cream and fatty foods you ate were burned off ; however, the excess of purines from these foods resulted in excess uric acid in your blood stream which could have eventually resulted in gout.
That is only one small random example among many that disproves your "eat anything you like, as much as you like, then burn it off" theory. :cool:

Drink 1 tablespoon of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar,,and you good with 16 oz of water,,,, Now off to Dairy Queen for pruines and cream....................yahoooooooooooooooooooooo

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Not really. :confused:
Eating a healthy nutritious diet is not about living longer. Medical science has no proof of that hypothesis. It is about improving the quality of life until you do eventually pass on.
For most people, there is a period of time when they have illness prior to death. For those who suffer from heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc. that time period can be many years. This can cause both physical and financial hardship for both the individual and their loved ones. It also creates a burden on society in regards to the health care costs.
Consuming a nutritious diet, avoiding harmful foods and exercising can prevent or delay the onset of the chronic conditions mentioned above which can shorten the period of illness prior to death. This can provide many more years of enjoyable quality of life.
Many people feel that this is worthwhile goal.

Note: The above is a simplistic example. There are other mitigating factors such as genetics and environment; however, nutrition plays a major role.

Humbletdrive - You hit the nail on the head is that we are trying to improve quality of life not to live longer.

One thing that I hear often is that person was very healthy and then they dropped dead of a heart attack. The key to me is they were very healthy to the day they dropped dead.

I watched my mom struggle with diabetes and slowly have extremities cut off of her body till she passed away of a heart attack.

My dad had a stoke and the right side of his body was paralyzed and he lived in a nursing home bed ridden for about two years before he choked on food and passed away.

My grandfather was on a hunting trip having the time of his life before he had a heart attack and passed.

We make the decision on how we live now we can hope will influence how we spend our last days.

Nothing that I have seen is a guarantee of how we will live out our days as an illness or cancer can sneak up on us.

Humble2drive is a case in point

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Who are "they"?
The US Department of Agriculture, the same people that gave us the Food Pyramid that made America fat.

And where did you read that bacon is good for you?
Pork Producers Quarterly

I will say that bacon makes me smile, which is a good thing, so maybe it is good for you. :D

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing that I hear often is that person was very healthy and then they dropped dead of a heart attack. The key to me is they were very healthy to the day they dropped dead.

We make the decision on how we live now we can hope will influence how we spend our last days.

Nothing that I have seen is a guarantee of how we will live out our days as an illness or cancer can sneak up on us.

Good points. Making better choices may allow you to live longer, but more importantly, it may help you feel better for the time you are here.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good points. Making better choices may allow you to live longer, but more importantly, it may help you feel better for the time you are here.

Humble2drive brought this great point up and I believe he summed it up perfectly.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As it was explained by my doctor, changing you diet will not have much on gout. MOST of the problem is due to the kidneys not eliminating uric acid properly.

It is important to keep up with the latest in science. I can tell you that my first, first of many, gout attacks came when I was in some of the best condition of my life. I was working out, hard, 7 days a week. I was at a healthy weight. I was drinking no caffeine. That was during the time I was on the PA Specialized Forest Fire Crew, hotshots.

No excuses, I know what I need to do, and I am doing it. It is working. Is if fun? NOPE! Will it ever be fun? NOPE. While it MAY reduce the chances of certain health problems, it is a VERY huge price to pay. There is little to enjoy. It won't help my knees, my fingers, my shoulders or my gout. The weight is coming off, inches are coming of, and there is far less to enjoy in my life. Styrofoam and freeze dried water, sucks.

"Now we know it has a lot more to do with how your body handles uric acid, the underlying cause of gout, than the kinds of foods you eat. In some people (10%), uric acid builds up in the blood because their body produces too much of it. In the rest (90%), the kidneys don't eliminate uric acid efficiently, causing it to build up.

In reality, although certain foods may trigger a gout attack, they aren't the cause of gout. Gout's true cause is high uric acid in the blood. In order to reduce your risk of gout flares over the long term, you'll need to take steps to decrease your uric acid level and keep it low. Reducing uric acid levels to less than 6 mg/dL is the goal for managing gout over the long term."

Gout Causes, Uric Acid Levels, and Information on Treating Gout Long Term ? Gout.com

Last edited:

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
As it was explained by my doctor, changing you diet will not have much on gout. MOST of the problem is due to the kidneys not eliminating uric acid properly.

Yes. If you are talking about a medical Doctor then it is not surprising that diet was not emphasized. Did you know that nutrition is not part of the core curriculum in medical school. They must take it as an elective or as a separate seminar so most don't. This makes them a poor source of information on nutrition.
I suspect that you are paraphrasing your doctor incorrectly. It is questionable if diet can affect your current deposits but there is little doubt that diet can help reduce or slow the formation of more crystals. If " MOST of the problem is due to the kidneys not eliminating uric acid properly" doesn't it make sense that reducing the uric acid load on the kidneys might be a good strategy?
That said, I find it surprising that the doctor did not recommend a healthy low purine diet as both a way to reduce blood uric acid levels and enhance kidney function.

It appears that you may be the victim of 2 poor sources of information:

1) Doctor of Medicine - see above
1) Internet bait and switch - read below

Internet bait and switch:
The website you referenced is full of unqualified opinions with absolutely no reference to any medical research or otherwise. That sends up a red flag.
If you look at the small print you will notice that the site is owned by
Takeda Pharmaceuticals and it provides you with a link to their Gout drug
Uloric. This is an even bigger red flag as it suggest that there is probably a biased agenda taking place to sell a product.
There are many sites like this on the Internet that present as an information source; however, they have a hidden agenda of selling you something.
I recommend that you get your information directly from the sources of actual research on the subject through the U.S. National Library of Medicine with a cautious eye out for who financed the study.

Note: I do agree that most of the problem is due to the kidneys inability to*
eliminate much of the urate; however, it is not unreasonable to deduce that a lifetime of poor diet can reduce renal efficiency.

It is important to keep up with the latest in science.

Yes it is. Here is what some recent actual recent research has to say:

"Certain foods can lead to a decreased or increased risk of development of gout and hyperuricemia. Advances have established the interplay of certain foods on urate transporters and renal handling of urate. "
The interplay between diet, urate transporte... [Int J Rheum Dis. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

"More recent work suggests diets leading to weight loss through calorie and carbohydrate reductions may be effective for lowering serum urate levels, as well as the risk of gout."
Food, drink, and herbs: alternative thera... [Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

"Large-scale studies have clarified a number of long-suspected relations between lifestyle factors, hyperuricemia, and gout, including purine-rich foods, dairy foods, various beverages, fructose, and vitamin C "
A prescription for lifestyle change in p... [Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

I can tell you that my first, first of many, gout attacks came when I was in some of the best condition of my life. I was working out, hard, 7 days a week. I was at a healthy weight.

You seem to be correlating healthy weight with a healthy disease free body which is fallacious reasoning. 2 different things.

There is little to enjoy. It won't help my knees, my fingers, my shoulders or my gout. The weight is coming off, inches are coming of, and there is far less to enjoy in my life.

Congratulations. Being healthier and lighter will bring much joy to your life. Simple things like getting out of a chair will be easier. Interacting with your wife and grandchildren will be easier. Getting in and out of the truck.
In addition, you may help prevent or delay other diseases.
Good luck. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes. If you are talking about a medical Doctor then it is not surprising that diet was not emphasized. Did you know that nutrition is not part of the core curriculum in medical school. They must take it as an elective or as a separate seminar so most don't. This makes them a poor source of information on nutrition.
I suspect that you are paraphrasing your doctor incorrectly. It is questionable if diet can affect your current deposits but there is little doubt that diet can help reduce or slow the formation of more crystals. If " MOST of the problem is due to the kidneys not eliminating uric acid properly" doesn't it make sense that reducing the uric acid load on the kidneys might be a good strategy?
That said, I find it surprising that the doctor did not recommend a healthy low purine diet as both a way to reduce blood uric acid levels and enhance kidney function.

It appears that you may be the victim of 2 poor sources of information:

1) Doctor of Medicine - see above
1) Internet bait and switch - read below

Internet bait and switch:
The website you referenced is full of unqualified opinions with absolutely no reference to any medical research or otherwise. That sends up a red flag.
If you look at the small print you will notice that the site is owned by
Takeda Pharmaceuticals and it provides you with a link to their Gout drug
Uloric. This is an even bigger red flag as it suggest that there is probably a biased agenda taking place to sell a product.
There are many sites like this on the Internet that present as an information source; however, they have a hidden agenda of selling you something.
I recommend that you get your information directly from the sources of actual research on the subject through the U.S. National Library of Medicine with a cautious eye out for who financed the study.

Note: I do agree that most of the problem is due to the kidneys inability to*
eliminate much of the urate; however, it is not unreasonable to deduce that a lifetime of poor diet can reduce renal efficiency.

Yes it is. Here is what some recent actual recent research has to say:

"Certain foods can lead to a decreased or increased risk of development of gout and hyperuricemia. Advances have established the interplay of certain foods on urate transporters and renal handling of urate. "
The interplay between diet, urate transporte... [Int J Rheum Dis. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

"More recent work suggests diets leading to weight loss through calorie and carbohydrate reductions may be effective for lowering serum urate levels, as well as the risk of gout."
Food, drink, and herbs: alternative thera... [Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

"Large-scale studies have clarified a number of long-suspected relations between lifestyle factors, hyperuricemia, and gout, including purine-rich foods, dairy foods, various beverages, fructose, and vitamin C "
A prescription for lifestyle change in p... [Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

You seem to be correlating healthy weight with a healthy disease free body which is fallacious reasoning. 2 different things.

Congratulations. Being healthier and lighter will bring much joy to your life. Simple things like getting out of a chair will be easier. Interacting with your wife and grandchildren will be easier. Getting in and out of the truck.
In addition, you may help prevent or delay other diseases.
Good luck. :D

The web sites you are quoting are government web sites, not by any means the best source for information on health care.

No weight loss is going to improve my joints. The damage from living a very active live has been done. Years of ice hockey, baseball/softball (catcher), gandy dancing (VERY hard on knees), firefighting, decades in the marshes, fields, rocks and mountains have destroyed my knees. They need replaced, and soon. There are NO options available. There are no herbs or magic potions out there that can fix osteoarthritis. Ruined is ruined.

Eating what I am eating removes joy from my life. Yes, It MAY delay onset of disease, not a 100% given by any means, but the cost is very high. More exercise will help, a lot, and as soon as the knees are replaced that will become far easier. Till then I am doing the work on the leg muscles to make the knee replacements work better.

By the way, when my BP went up to where I needed meds, I was doing 1/2, 7 days a week, on a stair stepper with a 50lb back pack on. I was running up and down the stairs of a 9 story building, 5 days a week, 1/2 per day. I was fighting fires, both structure and wildfires and running with an ambulance crew. I was in very good shape.

I have no uncles or cousins on my dad's side that are NOT on BP meds, by the age of forty. That includes those who eat right and work out and those who don't. There is no type 2 diabetes on my dad's side, it is everywhere on my mom's. My moms sides is free of RA, my dads side it is everywhere. Heredity plays a MAJOR, and likely the biggest role, in many health related issues.

ANYWHO, it is time for a lousy tasting, skimpy breakfast that will leave me very hungry until my fruit snack, the only good food to look forward to all day. I did keep my intake to under 1100 calories yesterday. Nothing bad, just BORING. No joy.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
The web sites you are quoting are government web sites, not by any means the best source for information on health care.

That is one of the most uneducated statements I have ever heard. I purposely searched the U.S. National Library of Medicine because it stores the gold standard in peer reviewed research submitted by Scientist, Universities and Medical Institutions from both the private and public sectors around the world.
You have absolutely closed your mind to any new or different thought processes and you seem determined to be miserable. I learned a long time ago that you cannot help someone unless they are willing to help themselves so I will stop making suggestions.
I do hope that someone else in a similar situation might read this thread and at least consider the positive role that good nutrition can play in improving their quality of life and realize that there are good tasty healthy foods out there that can make life enjoyable.
All of this talk about food has made me hungry. I am going to have an organic veggie burger with a pinch of tumeric fried in 1 teaspoon of organic sesame oil with roasted garlic served on a slice of Ezekiel bread moistened by some veganaise spread and topped with a slice of provolone veggie cheese and some organic Kimchi. Awesome! Very enjoyable. ;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is one of the most uneducated statements I have ever heard. I purposely searched the U.S. National Library of Medicine because it stores the gold standard in peer reviewed research submitted by Scientist, Universities and Medical Institutions from both the private and public sectors around the world.
You have absolutely closed your mind to any new or different thought processes and you seem determined to be miserable. I learned a long time ago that you cannot help someone unless they are willing to help themselves so I will stop making suggestions.
I do hope that someone else in a similar situation might read this thread and at least consider the positive role that good nutrition can play in improving their quality of life and realize that there are good tasty healthy foods out there that can make life enjoyable.
All of this talk about food has made me hungry. I am going to have an organic veggie burger with a pinch of tumeric fried in 1 teaspoon of organic sesame oil with roasted garlic served on a slice of Ezekiel bread moistened by some veganaise spread and topped with a slice of provolone veggie cheese and some organic Kimchi. Awesome! Very enjoyable. ;)

I was likely eating kimchi before you even heard of it.

I am NOT a vegan, I am, by nature, and ALL evolutionary processes, an omnivore. Grains are what we use to FATTEN up cattle. Prey animals, those at the BOTTOM of the food chain are, for the most part, vegans. Their job is to turn plant protein, into meat protein, for the omnivore and predators, those at the top of the food chain, to eat. Then the omnivores and predators, process that, excrete what they don't need, which fertilizes the new plants for the vegans to eat. It is the very cycle of life. :p

Is it not the federal government that gave us the "Food Pyramid"? Talk about a bad diet.

I TRY to eat better. I have cut portion sizes in half over the last six weeks. I eat REAL meat as much as possible. Like wild duck, wild venison, fresh caught fish. The foods mankind as evolved eating. We have been eating wild meats LONG before we had agriculture.

MY biggest problem is not enough exercise. This business cuts the time I have for that by spades. Irregular sleep patterns contribute to weight gain. That is why I have ALWAYS lost weight, and had better blood numbers, during hunting season. I MOVE more. We are looking at other, more healthy ways to earn a living. Of ALL the things I have done in my life, trucking is by far, the least healthy and one of the most dangerous.

I will find a way to survive this. I do MUCH better at home, where I have access to better ingrediants, more cooking tools, more time.

I have lost almost 14 pounds, in 5 weeks. Not doing bad, just no fun! If I have to eat weeds to live to be 80, then I prefer to die younger.

Let's see, my granddad, at pork fat and at LEAST 3 raw eggs a day, he only lived to 97. My great aunt, 101, my Dad will be 92 in Oct.. My mom, who ate MUCH healthier, died at 78.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agree it is about moderation.

In my opinion, alot of foods have too many additive. For years I had major stomach pains after I would eat and it took the longest time to find out it was MSG. MSG was in so many foods, that I liked, so I had to make things from scratch. I miss Shake n Bake, but that was one of the main culprits when I discovered my MSG alegy. I have noticed that it has been removed from a growing number of brands.

I think if you'll read the labels closely on most of these products you will find they still put MSG in them but they don't call it MSG anymore. And then they can make the false claim "no MSG". No rules or laws against that and of course officially MSG won't hurt you. Just googled a quick list of various names. One I noticed not on there is "natural flavorings". Read that sometimes natural flavorings can be just salt and pepper but sometimes it is also MSG. I don't have a sensitivity to it but avoid knowingly consuming it. Various names of MSG:

Acid hydrolyzed vegetable protein
Acid-hydrolyzed vegetable protein
Autolyzed Yeast
Hydrolyzed corn protein
HVP
hydrolyzed casein
hydrolyzed collagen
hydrolyzed collagen protein
hydrolyzed corn
hydrolyzed corn cereal solids
hydrolyzed corn gluten
hydrolyzed corn gluten protein
hydrolyzed corn protein
hydrolyzed corn soy wheat gluten protein
hydrolyzed corn/soy/wheat protein
hydrolyzed cornstarch
hydrolyzed gelatin
hydrolyzed milk protein
hydrolyzed oat flour
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
Hydrolyzed Protein
hydrolyzed soy
hydrolyzed soy protein
hydrolyzed soy wheat gluten protein
hydrolyzed soy/corn protein
hydrolyzed soy/corn/wheat protein
hydrolyzed soy/wheat gluten protein
hydrolyzed soya protein
hydrolyzed soybean protein
hydrolyzed torula and brewers yeast protein
hydrolyzed vegetable protein
hydrolyzed vegetable protein powder
hydrolyzed wheat
hydrolyzed wheat gluten
hydrolyzed wheat gluten protein
hydrolyzed wheat protein
hydrolyzed whey and casein protein
hydrolyzed whey peptides
hydrolyzed whey protein
hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate
hydrolyzed whey protein isolate
hydrolyzed yeast
hydrolyzed yeast protein
MSG
partially hydrolyzed beef stock
partially hydrolyzed casein
partially hydrolyzed guar gum
partially hydrolyzed soybean
partially hydrolyzed soybean oil
partially hydrolyzed whey protein
Plant Protein Extract
Textured Protein
Yeast Extract

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One I noticed not on there is "natural flavorings". Read that sometimes natural flavorings can be just salt and pepper but sometimes it is also MSG.
That's not entirely accurate. Salt must be declared specifically as salt. Pepper can be included as "spice," but it can also be listed separately. The term "natural flavoring" is specific and is coded into law. So is "artificial flavoring." MSG is required by law to be explicitly labeled as such and cannot be hidden inside "natural flavoring" or "spice" or some other catch-all. MSG can, as is noted above, be contained inside other compounds which removes the MSG labeling requirement. "Partially hydrolyzed beef stock" was named above, but in reality any ingredient listed as "stock" or "broth" can contain MSG without it having to be named. In fact, "stock" or "broth" can contain a gazillion ingredients, none of which must be named, as "stock" or "broth" is in and of itself a single ingredient. And isn't that just awesome.

Flavorings are nothing more than chemicals. The chemicals can be obtained from natural sources (natural flavorings), or created synthetically (artificial flavorings). Regardless of whether it is natural or synthetic, it's the same chemical.

Big time proponents of artificial flavorings will tell you that yes, artificial and natural flavorings are the same chemical compounds, but that artificial flavorings are actually safer to consume because the chemical components are tested and better controlled. These people should be slapped upside the head.

Then again, one of the most popular natural flavorings added to foods is called "castoreum" and it's used in a wide range of foods to act as raspberry and vanilla flavoring. It does not come from raspberries or the vanilla bean. It is the extractions and secretions from a set of glands in a beaver's butt, from a spot nestled right up against the :censoredsign:. Yum, beaver butt. But, at least it ain't artificial, it's 100% all natural.

Another very popular natural ingredient is called "confectioner's glaze," which of course makes you think it's just sugar water, since that's how a confectioner makes glaze. Newp. If you go the forests of India and Thailand and look closely at most of the trees, you'll see some teeny tiny red bugs on the bark. The are the lac bug. They secrete a resin that gets scraped off and dissolved in ethanol and used to make shellac, which is used as a wood finish, brush-on color, dying wool, and ta-da, confenctioner's glaze. Eaten any Milk Duds lately? Goobers, Raisinettes, Malted Milk Balls? Jelly beans? 100% natural, though.

Last edited:

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter

Humble2drive is a case in point

Yes I am. Since you mentioned it:

I was an athlete and the picture of health when I was blind sided by a terminal blood cancer in 2005. There is no medical cure available so I was given 8 months to live.
As my body went haywire my medical team offered pharmaceutical solutions to each problem. One for pain, one for blood pressure, one for cholesterol, one for osteoporosis. I was also told to eat anything that I could to keep up my weight. That's right, permission for ice cream. ;)

I politely declined all of the above and decided that instead of adding a bucket of chemicals to my body that I would try to reduce the chemical load and maximize the nutrients going into my body. Organic veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds became the diet.
Long story short. I am still kicking after 9 years and do not need any of the above drugs.

Is this solely due to the nutrition? NO
Is this solely due to medical treatments? NO

My success has been due to a combination of both diet and medical treatments. Diet alone would not have saved me but it appears to have been very instrumental in providing a good quality of life as well as helping the body survive the treatments and recover.

Due to my experience, I am a big believer in good nutrition. I commend you guys for being proactive .*

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Humble: thanks for sharing your hard won knowledge - I hope some can benefit from it. Especially the part about casting a critical eye on the source of 'advice', such as websites created with an ulterior motive.