//// 2 fuel tank problems ////

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi All,

My 1999 international 4700 truck has 2 fuel tanks and its driving me crazy.

FWIW - The drivers side fuel tank is small and the passenger side tank is large.

It seems when I drive the truck a lot the 2 tanks empty simultaneously which is good to me since it means it is either sucking from each tank equally and there is a "connection" between the 2 tanks to keep the levels balanced OR it's sucking from 1 tank primarily and there is a "connection" to keep both both tanks at the same level (this second option is what I think is happening....read below to see why)....

In any event, my real problem happens when I park my truck.....

when I park on the street curb, fuel transfers by gravity from the small drivers side fuel tank and fills the larger passenger fuel tank to overflowing (My helper once failed to tighten the passenger side tank which was filled fairly high (maybe half or so) , then filled the smaller driver side tank to "top it off" and parked the truck ....

Within hours much of the fuel transferred from the small tank and overflowed the large passenger tank (with the loose lid) and it made a stream of fuel down the street ....(even without spilling fuel out the larger tank, the small tank seems to always transfer fuel to the large fuel tank (due to the crown in the road and us parking on the street) .

To make matters worse, when he drove the truck so much fuel ran from the small tank that the truck ran out of fuel despite the full large passenger side fuel tank (the gauge also read full since I believe it reads from the large passenger side tank).

How is this problem normally dealt with?

It's been a real pain for me to fill the truck with 12 gallons of diesel from 2 fuel cans to ensure enough fuel is in the small tank to make it to the gas station....

Thanks in advance for any and all help.