//// 1985 International streaming oil from the blow by tube...WHY ? ///

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI All,

I have a 1985 International S1900 Truck with a DT 466 Engine, 5+2 tranny, and 173K miles.

I have always been impressed by how leak free this truck has been....The undercarriage was basically dry of all leaks.

In all fairness though, there was an old accumulation of oil on top of the valve cover towards the rear of the engine (where the blow by tube attaches to the top of the valve cover itself)....The oil there and towards the back of the engine was obviously old and baked dry....nothing wet or moist.

However, just yesterday, the truck started having massive amounts of blow by out the blow by tube / exhaust and used / leaked as much as 3 gallons within about 40 miles (good thing the driver had to do a stop because had it been a long highway run I'm sure the truck would have run out of oil before he would have known anything was wrong).

Anyways, the undercarriage of the truck was a mess so I thoroughly cleaned / degreased the engine area so I could see where the leak was....

Turns out the oil is leaking from the blow by tube (literally drip drip drip at a rate of approximately 2 drips per second so it is pretty fast....almost a small thin stream) and there was a fair amount blow by out the blow by tube and exhaust smoke to boot (not coal but oil burning).

The engine runs pretty smooth but has a slight shake to it more than normal....

What could cause this ? What is the cure?

It may have happened at one time before (as evidenced by the previous baked on oil) but I have driven it a lot with no issues until yesterday (Actually it was my helper driving it....I did notice as he drives sometimes he lugs the engine by up shifting too early or not splitting the shifts....

Could this be a cause of the issues ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It has likely scuffed a piston, which would require a rebuild. Leaking injectors and overheating can cause this.

Edit: Get a compression test done.