15 ft. unicell express van

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
what do you think about this van-- 2013 CHEVROLET EXPRESS, Express Commercial Cutaway 3500 15FT Unicell Box Van, 159". Engine: 6.0L V8, , Transmission: Automatic single rear wheel,class-2-6000-10000 gvw.--looks like you could be comfortable in this but dont know what kind of fuel milage it will get or will haul the weight and drive good

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
We get 10-12 in a chevy 15' boxtruck. They drive good. weak point is the 6 sp trans. has over heating problems.(replaced @ 125,000 miles)
If I were going to buy one for myself I'd add exlarge trans cooler

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have a link to the specs? It sounds like the Unicell Clasicube. It comes in an SRW version but the floor sits above the wheels, so no wheel boxes inside. This might be appealing to some, but for me the higher center of gravity is a negative. It also increases the overall height which impacts fuel economy.

I'd like to see them put the Areocell CW on the 159" WB chassis with a 12' box. I'll keep dreaming.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We get 10-12 in a chevy 15' boxtruck. They drive good. weak point is the 6 sp trans. has over heating problems.(replaced @ 125,000 miles)
Is that single rear wheel or dual rear wheel? What does your average load weigh? Over the road or city delivery?

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Unless something new has come out, I don't believe you can get a 15 foot box on a srw in that wheelbase.

Do you have a link for pics and specs?

Last edited:

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I were going to buy one for myself I'd add exlarge trans cooler

is this a unicell or regular square box

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like the Aerocell flat-floor. It also looks like it sits on a DRW chassis.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a way it can be under 10,000 GVWR if GM tagged it higher. Unicellular or another upfitter could de-rate it to less than 10,000 pounds.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check your max G.V.W. that van weighs arround 8,500 lbs empty. After you add a bulkhead, build a DOT LEGAL sleeper 300 lbs, your gear, supplies, equipment 500 lbs, a driver 250 to 300 lbs, and dont forget a full tank of fuel at 35 galllons of fuel annother 350 or so lbs.

8,500+ 300+ 500+ 300+ 350 = 9,950 lbs so we might as well say your vehicle will gross in at 10,000 lbs before any freight.

Basicly you need a GVW min of 15,000 to18,000 lbs to make it worth the investment. that is usualy a custom spec. I already looked into it with a simular setup at best G.M. could only spec to 16,000 lbs gvw.

Do your homework. Average MPG is roughly 10 MPG pluss or minus.

Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a good looking Ford. The GVW on it is 14,050 so it's logbooks all the time. It's probably more like 7000-7500 empty plus fuel, buildout, driver and driver's "junk". Maybe 4500-5000 payload capacity.

guido4475

Not a Member
It's completely useless in the OTR expedited industry unless there are vanners who enjoy logging and scaling and being bound by the rules of the DOT.....Otherwise, a beautiful van. Wouldn't be bad for local airfreight/expedited work, however...150 airmiles of the terminal.....how I miss those days!