14 hr rule.... discourages rest

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
I'm getting so frustrated with this 14 hour rule. If your driving time and 14 hr clock gets in sync, even though you have plenty driving time to make the delivery, it can't be made on time if you stop to rest for a couple hours. Before the 2007 ruling you could put the 14 hr clock on hold if you took a nap in the sleeping birth. Now there is nothing to stop the 14 hr clock from running.

So, if you are 4 hours from the delivery location and would arrive early, you can't rest without being way way way late for the delivery. That is STRONG discouragement from taking a rest break when you are tired. I guess the DOT doesn't understand this. A driver should never have to make a choice between resting and arriving late because they run out of time while sleeping.

Also, if you have to make a delivery in the morning and can't park at the dock, it will start the 14 hr clock when you move to the dock.... then when 4 or 5 pm comes around - when most load offers come in, you only have 6 or 7 hrs driving time left. That's blows your chances for a good run for the day.

Here's what I read on another forum....

"My most recent struggle is the 14-hour rule. Once I start work for the day, I have to stop 14 hours later unless there is a 10-hour break in there somewhere. So, If I drive for 5 hours, take a nap for 4 hours, eat dinner and get a shower, I only have 3 hours driving time left on the 14-hour clock. So, maybe the rule-makers don't want me to take a nap."