$1000 pizza

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just watched a show called Pizza Paradise. The last segment was a place in NY upper east side that makes a pizza with 4 kinds of caviar and lobster tail. It costs $750 to make and they charge the customer $1000 for it. How insane is that.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Our Congress probably ordering them by the dozen for lunches.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just watched a show called Pizza Paradise. The last segment was a place in NY upper east side that makes a pizza with 4 kinds of caviar and lobster tail. It costs $750 to make and they charge the customer $1000 for it. How insane is that.

I don't know But ask my wife..she probably has one on order and paying to ship it to SD...:eek:

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Works for me!! Everyone wins!! People get their fancy pizza and those who make it, provide the ingredeants, make the ovens, the boxes etc all have jobs. Perfect. Don't expect me to buy one though.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If you're on welfare or hitting the foodbank regularly, very ......

If your annual income is six figures or more, probably not so much .... :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's open a few more of those shops, put some of those food line people to work!! You know, EARN a living? Strange concept these days. I guess it's far better to just tax those who could afford that pizza until they can no longer afford it. Then that shop can close down and everyone in that chain can join the food line instead!! Now that is today's America!!

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
What are you getting at?

You should be very happy that this happens, it indicates how well our standard of living is doing when someone can sell a pizza for a $1000 while a few doors down Little Ceasars is selling theirs for $15 ($5 for the pizza and $10 for the NYC taxes).

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's all relative. To put it in vehicular vernacular: A $200,000 decked out "large car" for expediting may seem insane to someone with a $75,000 "plain Jane" doing the same job.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can see a $200k truck far more easily than a $1k pizza. The truck theoretically has an extensive lifespan and revenue generation. The pizza becomes you know what within a day or so. I'm all for the owner selling a pizza at $250 profit as often as he can. I'm just commenting on the mentality and priorities of the people buying them. I'm sure for some patrons that's about an hour's income just like a Domino's pizza is about an hours income for many more people. That's how they want to blow their money so more power to them. I'm fairly certain they aren't getting the value benefit of someone who upgrades from a Yugo to a Lincoln though.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can see a $200k truck far more easily than a $1k pizza. The truck theoretically has an extensive lifespan and revenue generation.

Read my post again. I was comparing a truck to a truck. Not a truck to a pizza.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I know you were. My point was a $200k truck makes more sense against a $75k truck than a $1k pizza makes sense against a $15 pizza. The $200k truck is far less frivilous and wasteful than a $1k pizza, in their respective categories.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like Moot said, it's all relative. If you have a minimum wage job, then a $1000 pizza is definitely out of your price range. If you make $1000 an hour, a $1000 pizza is something you won't blink at. I know people who think $100 for a pair of shoes is ridiculous, but I also have a friend who routinely drops $1000 or more on a pair of designer shoes, that she might wear once or twice. But that $1000 is relative to her income. She can buy 5 or 6 pair at a time and not think twice about it.

As for caviar and lobster, you can go into some restaurants and buy lobster and caviar and it will cost you $1000, and it's served on a plate. At least with the pizza you get some bread. There are certain types of caviar that will cost you well over $1000 an ounce. I have a 250ml (about 1 cup) of Pedroni balsamic vinegar that's 75 years old. I got it more than 10 years ago and paid a little more than $500 for it. It comes with a hand-blown eye dropper for dispensing it. High dollar, but a drop goes a long way. I'm down to about 6 ounces now. I've paid $25 an ounce for white truffles. You want a good steak, have an Angus NY strip. You want a steak experience, try Kobe Beef. Want to jazz up a $5 Foot Long, add some American White Sturgeon Osetra caviar to the mix. It's about $50 an ounce, but one ounce will do 4 or 5 sandwiches. :D

When it comes to food, always start with the best ingredients, and then don't screw it up. If you can do that, it becomes a culinary experience instead of merely a meal. If you can afford it, you'll never be disappointed with the best, when it comes to food, or most anything else.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree with the point that things are relative only as they relate to one's own particular situation. I agree that buying better food and ingredients makes a definite difference to positive results. The show prior to pizza was hamburgers and one stop was in NY where they make the burgers with Kobe beef and it's $41 for the hamburger. I'm sure it's probably good but I'm more interested in someday trying Louis Lunch in New Haven CT., supposedly the place that made and served the first hamburger in the country. There it's $9 for burger, chips and Pepsi.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
$500 for what?

I hope you got the ultra gold labeled 100ml hand blown Murano Millefiori bottle with the accompanying solid silver bottle holder.

Kobe Style (we don't have Kobe beef here) beef is ok but I would rather have the real thing, Tajima from Japan but again most people are not used to good meat. No one can under stand the reason for a Matsusaka steak at $60/100g, but again no one would beleive the process used to produce it, all for a peice of meat - YUM

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Tried Kobe Beef when I was stationed in Japan. It is well worth the price of the airline tickets to do it right. I have no idea what is was per pound back in '71 but my meal cost me almost $35 at the time. That was a LOT of money for a meal back then. The yen was 360 yen to the dollar. That was about 12,600 yen not including the tip!!!! A memory that even the government can't take away!!

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Tried Kobe Beef

Gotta luv that Kobe beef !!!!!!!!!
I seriously miss southern Japan. Was working there as a cook from 2001 thru 2005. I lived and worked in Akashi for the Caterpillar Corp. By the way Kobe, Tajima, Matsuzaka,Ishigaki are nothing more than but regional names mostly applied to the region in which the cattle are raised.The actual cost is typically the same between all the "designer" beef. It's sorta like wine is in the U.S. Everyone's thinking their part of the country produces the best wine. I know my beef.

Google search has gotta get their "where's the beef" facts straight.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was a grand experience. It cost me almost 10% of a months pay to do it, 3 of us set aside money for 4 months for the one evening. Stayed sober so we could remember it. A pretty smart move for a bunch of young soldiers don't you think?

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
A pretty smart move for a bunch of young soldiers don't you think?

:) Heck yeah it was :)

Probably got away rather cheaply than compared to todays exchange. But you still remember that first bite. Knowing instantly it was nothing like you'd ever tasted and a texture you'll not forget. The funny thing about the beef is that little of it is actually consumed in the counntry. Exports probably take >80% out.Since I was in a kitchen every day I became a street food expert. I brought home and extra 35 pounds and 4 inches as proof.