10 Speed rangefinder

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just had to nurse my truck back home with a funny problem. Seems if the temperature drops below 60 degrees, the rangefinder on my Rockwell 10 speed stops working. It will stay in whatever range it is in until I stop the truck and let it idle for a few minutes, then will seem to work fine until I take off. I hear air hissing from the transmission area when it is not shifting ranges. I'll admit I have no clue how this thing works, wondering if anyone else does. Is there some sort of air valve or cylinder that might be sticking in the colder temps? Brought it into shop to be fixed, trans is under warranty so I don't care if it's serious, but I hope it's simple as I don't want the downtime now. Any clues??
Thanks
-Weave-

streetsweeper

Expert Expediter
Hey Weave,

I was trying to think of how to best explain it without a lot of detail, here I go with a long version again.

The range selector is mounted high & to the drivers side on all Fuller transmissions. On yours, you should have two airlines (tiny as heck) that run from the shift lever down to the trans. For people running 13 spd Fullers, your setup with be different with 4 lines, 2 to the range selector and 2 more to the overdrive selector on the shift knob itself. Or 4 lines to the shift knob period.

First and foremost thing that causes a range selector to fail is, 1) Lack of lubrication for the range selector. The Orings are "buna n" and without the required lubricant going through the trans air system they will deteriorate over a period of time. There should also be an air system filter (very small in size) mounted to the trans that distributes the silicon based oil.

You can recognize it by the shape, it's almost like the ones you find on a commercial shop air system. If the filter plugs, which is really rare, or pressure regulator been tampered with those can lead to the range selector not working also. Usually as long as the primary air system is clean & dry you should not experience that kind of problem.

2)Broken airline at the selector or somewhere along the airline circuit to the range selector or 3) O ring problems at the range selector controller or shift knob for 13 over's. The other options would be an internal trans problem, bent range selector lever or fork.

Hope this explaination helps pardner.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, the problem was along those lines. There is no separate air filter or lubricator on the Rockwell trans, but a healthy spray of lubricant into the main air system got it working right again. I'll just do that every few months now I guess. Thanks for the help.
-Weave-