1 Million points question :)

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When a carrier comes up with new fees and charges, it means they're close to a bankruptcy or they're just thieves?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe greedy.
If they tell you, and you agree to stay, how can you call them a thief ?
It's not like that. As a matter of fact now I'm decided to pull my trucks from them... I had a truck without driver and to avoid their weekly charges, I pulled it off. Yesterday finally I received the escrow, well chopped. Over two hundreds dollars for one of my drivers' occ/acc (he actually still works for me and with the same carrier), claiming that he's short. Also two times $75 for changing a driver from a truck to another, both my trucks of course, and replacing a driver. Funny (well, actually it ain't funny at all), these driver moves happened last years, not a week ago.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
First clue, they CHARGE you for moving a qualified driver from one truck to another !!!!!! Really ???

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is really a crock ! I've only been with two companies that have had the " escrow " and I was always leery about it , just for what you have stated . Money is there for them to "take back " for whatever they feel.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is really a crock ! I've only been with two companies that have had the " escrow " and I was always leery about it , just for what you have stated . Money is there for them to "take back " for whatever they feel.
Indeed

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But the worst experience was "cry hours", besides the fact that I received the escrow after more than 90 days after I pulled my truck(s), the check was slashed at their free will. At that time my lawyer told me to sue them, but for 2-3K I considered unworthy the action.

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as far as the escrow goes 90 days is what they can hold it for...because it can take that long for any DOT tickets to surface and then there is any possible freight claims....however some actually use common sense and remember CV's are not HOS and them tickets are not coming...the 90 days were actually stated in the contract...

but that other nonsense of switching driver fee?....that is creative....

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's not in the contract you signed they cannot charge you any of those fees. Now if it's in the contract that's a different story. If the sent amendment to the contract then they can make those charges, that is if they say after this date or they have you sign the amendment.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Opel you may have gotten a fairly good discount on that driver switch. :confused:
If I read it right we can be charged $150 per driver per vehicle. After all I'm sure its extremely costly to have that secretary sitting in the corner reach into her computer and make the switch. ($6 to cover the man hours and the balance into revenue.)
Escrow is held back for any number of reasons, claims, fuel, equipt damage, fuel taxes, and a whole list of other reasons I don't even know about. Best to know what we may lose prior to dragging up. Safe bet with some of these carriers that something will be held back so ya may as well go for broke and fill up with all the fuel ya can store. Their (some) going to keep something anyways. :D

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's not in the contract you signed they cannot charge you any of those fees. Now if it's in the contract that's a different story. If the sent amendment to the contract then they can make those charges, that is if they say after this date or they have you sign the amendment.
The contract states a processing fee of $200, which after one year I found out that actually it's yearly - just like that. Other than that, no other fees, except of course that scam named QC and the second scam named occ/acc. Why I call occ/acc a scam? Because I can get it for less from other providers, but they won't let me do the switch.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Escrow is held back for any number of reasons, claims, fuel, equipt damage, fuel taxes, and a whole list of other reasons I don't even know about. . :D
The only reason I see for that escrow is their old QC's, worth maybe 100-200 bucks. Yes, they're still using those bubbles on the top of the van, and from what I know they barely got few dashboard antennas (first models, of course). There are no fuel taxes for gas units, while claims of any kind I believe are covered by the insurance, isn't it?

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everything is spelled out in your contract for fees that the company can charge you, companies cannot charge you for anything that's not in the contract. Also I do believe the company cannot make you buy insurance from them, period. As for QC fees its in the contract you signed.

None of us are lawyers on here, if you have contract problems, it would be best to see a lawyer and have him read the contract you signed and see if the company is violating contract.

No company I've ever been leased with has charged me for anything that wasn't in the contract.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I reviewed the contract, indeed they only require every driver to have occ/acc, it's not specified "through them", but when I tried to get my own occ., they said that it must have some coverage that only their provider has it. BS.
Then they have a $200 annually processing fee. What for, only God knows... but nothing about the fees for changing drivers, yet they claim there is written in the contract. I'll ask my lawyer to read the contract, maybe he has a better magnifying lens than mine...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The only reason I see for that escrow is their old QC's, worth maybe 100-200 bucks. Yes, they're still using those bubbles on the top of the van, and from what I know they barely got few dashboard antennas (first models, of course). There are no fuel taxes for gas units, while claims of any kind I believe are covered by the insurance, isn't it?

Well claims such as a scratched screen or cracked screen on your QC, Bent or broken wires, bent cables, any host of problems the carrier can drum up to keep your money. Things that won't go thru the insurance. Again if I read it right, I can be charged for supplies that the carrier has given me during the course of the lease, including log books, load tickets etc etc. Yet I have never used their log book but its in there that I can be charged. I left one carrier and it went smoothly, I pulled a van out from another carrier and what little escrow I had built up was taken in fees.