$1.25 Billion dollars and it's total poopoo

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just crossed the GW bridge where the minimum charge is $12 per vehicle and which carries 106 Million vehicles per year for a total revenue of a little over $1.25 Billion. With all that money coming in it is a broken down pot hole filled piece of crap. Lousy thieves. :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

gospelriders

Seasoned Expediter
$26 bucks in a straight if you don't have tag axle down! lived in san diego for years and the coronado bridge was supposed to have toll eliminated after it was paid for by the tolls. do you think they stopped right after they hit the goal?:mad:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just crossed the GW bridge where the minimum charge is $12 per vehicle and which carries 106 Million vehicles per year for a total revenue of a little over $1.25 Billion. With all that money coming in it is a broken down pot hole filled piece of crap. Lousy thieves. :mad::mad::mad:

Looks good to me. :rolleyes:

[video]http://archive.org/download/CLN-37-G-3/CLN-37-G-3.mp4[/video]

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Just think they want to put tolls on I 70 and other main trucking routes all over America, I live in Downstate IL and I used to truck thru Chicago often and pay anywhere from 125-250 dollars a week on tolls and such moving between Steel Mills, they take the money and divert it to everything but road repairs, and often as in Chicago, THEY DONT KNOW WHO GETS THE MONEY....just like Lotterys and Schools, I wouldnt mind paying small tolls if I could be sure where it goes, But just as NY and Chicago they money goes WHERE ???

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cars enrolled in the "Carpool Plan" (3 or more passengers) pay only $3.50 to cross the bridge. The GW Bridge charges tolls only in one direction, east, same as all the other Hudson River tolls. The GW Bridge takes in approximately $1 million in tolls each day.

Combined, all six bridges and tunnels of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey rake in about $1.2 billion per year.

The GW Bridge is the busiest vehicular bridge in the world. In December 2011 the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced plans to replace the vertical suspender cables for the first time since it was built 80 years ago. The cost is expected to well exceed one billion dollars, possibly two billion. The cost of determining exactly what repairs are needed was $4.5 million and took two years to complete.

592 vertical suspender ropes, each containing 283 wires, will be replaced. Each cable weighs between 1,500 and 10,000 pounds, depending on the length. Laid end-to-end, the cables would be 32 miles long. Each individual wire laid end to end would be 9,100 miles long, a little more than 1/3 the distance around the Earth's equator.

Replacing the suspension wire in stages will take eight years. Starting in 2013, the agency wants to clean up the massive anchorages tying down the bridge’s foundation, replace broken wires in the cables and replace the dehumidifiers in the chambers where the anchors are held. The project is expected to create at least 3,6000 jobs, not including the manufacturing of the cable itself.

As for where the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's toll money goes, here's a good rundown (How does the Port Authority spend its money? | WABC-TV).

The above information was aggregated from the very interesting reads of Wikipedia, WNYC Radio, and The New York Times.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
The GW Bridge charges tolls only in one direction, east, same as all the other Hudson River tolls.

Hmmm, may want to check your compass. Being somewhat familiar with the interstate system in this country, odd numbered routes are north/south and even are east/west. Since the GWB is onI-95 and charges northbound only, have they added a new toll for driving off the east side of the bridge?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well I admit only checking Wikipedia to find the vehicle count and doing the math from that. Presuming roughly 50/50 usage that would still be a huge pile of money and should easily pay for resurfacing every few years as needed. After my bp med I'll check those links and find out what the lousy thieves are doing with the money.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm, may want to check your compass. Being somewhat familiar with the interstate system in this country, odd numbered routes are north/south and even are east/west. Since the GWB is onI-95 and charges northbound only, have they added a new toll for driving off the east side of the bridge?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

The bridge sits facing east to west...in that spot....it is only geography....Outbound of NYC, would have been a better description...:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
After my bp med I'll check those links and find out what the lousy thieves are doing with the money.
Read the links in reverse order. If you have high blood pressure, either take an extra pill, or forgo reading the WABC link altogether. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'll grant that you are familiar with the Interstate system in this country. Your expertise with a compass, however, remains suspect. If you check your own compass, and cross reference it with a map of the GW Bridge, New Jersey and the island of Manhattan, particularly if you check your compass while driving across the GW bridge itself, you will see that in order to cross the Hudson river from New Jersey to Manhattan you must travel in a easterly direction, same as all of the other Hudson River bridge and tunnel crossings into Manhattan.

You have to pay tolls to get into the City, but they'll let you out for free! :D

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have to pay tolls to get into the City, but they'll let you out for free! :D

Actually, you pay to get out of Jersey. I go from Lebanon, PA to NYC twice a week. I enter NJ for free on I78, pay to use the Lincoln Tunnel, come out said Lincoln for free, then pay to reenter Pennsylvania. Including a short stretch on the NJTurnpike, $13-15 per day in a cargo van.

As always, there are ways to save money if you know the roads. It's not hard to use the Queensboro bridge to connect to the Long Island Expressway, just a few surface streets in LIC. Beats paying $5.50 each way to use the Midtown Tunnel!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
$26 bucks in a straight if you don't have tag axle down! lived in san diego for years and the coronado bridge was supposed to have toll eliminated after it was paid for by the tolls. do you think they stopped right after they hit the goal?:mad:

The Pennsylvania Turnpike was supposed to be toll-free after its construction costs were met. Shoulda happened in about 1955, IIRC.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Cars enrolled in the "Carpool Plan" (3 or more passengers) pay only $3.50 to cross the bridge. The GW Bridge charges tolls only in one direction, east, same as all the other Hudson River tolls. The GW Bridge takes in approximately $1 million in tolls each day.

Combined, all six bridges and tunnels of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey rake in about $1.2 billion per year. [/URL]
& they cannot collect via Fuel Tax, just like anywhere else... Because ???