08 ud j08 p0087 c

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
So I now have a ud scanner and have a p0087 code. Common rail pressure defective/ low pump feed/ Lack of forced feed in supply pump.

We know that the driver was low on fuel but there was no spitting or sputtering he was driving 60mph and he said all of a sudden it had a sucking sound and died.

We just did a scv about 2000 miles ago.

So we have tried to re prim by pumping the pump on the top of filter after adding 2 gal of diesel but will not start.

So what now.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Also thinking about this even after doing the scv there was a dpf light on with no codes for engine or dpf and could not get it to go out.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
So I now have a ud scanner and have a p0087 code. Common rail pressure defective/ low pump feed/ Lack of forced feed in supply pump.

We know that the driver was low on fuel but there was no spitting or sputtering he was driving 60mph and he said all of a sudden it had a sucking sound and died.

We just did a scv about 2000 miles ago.

So we have tried to re prim by pumping the pump on the top of filter after adding 2 gal of diesel but will not start.

So what now.
Try connecting a source of fuel directly to the fuel pump. Bypass the entire fuel supply system.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
When you say fuel pump as in the pump with the scv do I need to prime it some how or will it prime on its own when I crank it over.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yes, the high pressure pump. It should self-prime. If that doesn't work, loosen the high pressure line between the pump and rail to release air.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
So I used a clear line and put it in a 5 gal can cracked the line to the rail and cranked it over 5 times witch each time was 10 to 20 seconds and it never even tried to pull diesel out of the can.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Is there an obstruction at the pump inlet? It's sounding like the pump has failed somehow.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Is there an obstruction at the pump inlet? It's sounding like the pump has failed somehow.

So I will have to dig in to see about that. Now I have seen other posts of if your doing a pump to pull the rail to clean it . Is that the case with this pump also or don't bother.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
So I will have to dig in to see about that. Now I have seen other posts of if your doing a pump to pull the rail to clean it . Is that the case with this pump also or don't bother.

Sometimes a spring in the pump outlet fails, and bits of it clog the flow dampers in the rail, causing a misfire. I doubt this is your case, though.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Another forum member sent me this picture. You might want to inspect the lift pump. Keep in mind that none of the parts pictured are available separately from Hino.

Attachments

• Lift pump failure jpg.jpg
    Lift pump failure jpg.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 33

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
So got a new pump and got it put on I now have a funny sound that I don't remember it having before.
Can the pump be 180 out or does that not mater with common rail.

I still have a dpf light on that I can't get to reset.

My injection quantity is 13.00
My common rail pressure is 5800 psi
My cylinder balance fuel injection amount is
#1 -3.1 mm3/st
#2 5.1 mm3/st
#3 -0.4 mm3/st
#4 -3.5. Mm3/st
#5 0.8 mm3/st
#6 0.0 mm3/st

I don't even know what the mm3/st is.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Theoretically there is a timing mark for the pump, but it doesn't affect how it runs .

Cubic millimeters per stroke. This is how much the ecu is compensating to make it idle correctly.

Since this truck has a dpf and it's having regen issues, you should consider replacing all of the injectors. Those balance numbers are pretty gnarly. At least replace the injectors on 1 and 4.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
So this week we have had some down time to work on this truck and learn the scaner and come to find out this dpf light we have been fighting comes on every 200k miles and all you do is ground out the dpf wire for 5 seconds. I look at it like new cars and oil change lights.

So we did the pump got all the lights to go out and did a service on it when I did the fuel filter it looked like glitter that I dumped out of the fuel filter.

My question is that normal with a pump going out or with putting a new pump in.

As for injectors we did a balance test and it was saying to pull it up to 980rpm and wait for it to even out take that number then drop the rpm down to ideal and wait for it to even out take that number and if the dif was between 8.0 and 14.0 then don't touch them and I think I was at 11.8.

As for the timing question was because I don't know if it was on compression stroke or exhaust stroke when I pulled the old pump off.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Also did a egr cooler (it was cracked at the flang) found that when trying to find the funny sound of a bad alternator bearing. So also had the alternator rebuilt and no more funny sound now.

ud2600bbs

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
So this week we have had some down time to work on this truck and learn the scaner and come to find out this dpf light we have been fighting comes on every 200k miles and all you do is ground out the dpf wire for 5 seconds. I look at it like new cars and oil change lights.

So we did the pump got all the lights to go out and did a service on it when I did the fuel filter it looked like glitter that I dumped out of the fuel filter.

My question is that normal with a pump going out or with putting a new pump in.

As for injectors we did a balance test and it was saying to pull it up to 980rpm and wait for it to even out take that number then drop the rpm down to ideal and wait for it to even out take that number and if the dif was between 8.0 and 14.0 then don't touch them and I think I was at 11.8.

As for the timing question was because I don't know if it was on compression stroke or exhaust stroke when I pulled the old pump off. Hello Towmatter i was wondering how you turned of the dpf green ligth on the UD i saw you grounded a wire where is that located