“Is Obama Becoming A Joke?”

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If only the fringe msm would come out from under the coma they are in.....

Who Really Won?

In diminishing American power abroad, Obama and the U.S. choose decline.

By Mark Steyn
Who Really Won? by Mark Steyn on National Review Online

The most popular headline at the Real Clear Politics website the other day was: “Is Obama Becoming A Joke?” With brilliant comedic timing, the very next morning the Norwegians gave him the Nobel Peace Prize. Up next: His stunning victory in this year’s Miss World contest. December 12, Johannesburg. You read it here first.

For what, exactly, did he win the Nobel? As the president himself put it: “When you look at my record, it’s very clear what I have done so far. And that is nothing. Almost one year and nothing to show for it. You don’t believe me? You think I’m making it up? Take a look at this checklist.”

And up popped his record of accomplishment, reassuringly blank.

Oh, no, wait. That wasn’t the real President Obama. That was a comedian playing President Obama on Saturday Night Live. And, for impressionable types who find it hard to tell the difference, CNN — in a broadcast first that should surely have its own category at the Emmys — performed an in-depth “reality check” of the SNL sketch. That’s right: They fact-checked the jokes. Seriously. “How much truth is behind all the laughs? Stand by for our reality check,” promised Wolf Blitzer, introducing his in-depth report with all the plonking earnestness so cherished by those hapless Americans stuck at Gate 73 for four hours with nothing to watch but the CNN airport channel. Given the network’s ever-more-exhaustive absence of viewers among the non-flight-delayed demographic, perhaps Wolf could make it a regular series:

Who was that lady I saw you with last night?

That was no lady, that was my wife.

“In fact, our sources confirm, his wife is, biologically speaking, a lady. Joining us now is our medical correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Sanjay, we all like a joke, but how much truth is behind the laughs?”

Fortunately, the Nobel Committee understands that President Obama’s accomplishments are no laughing matter. So they gave him the Peace Prize for “his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.” I assumed this was a reference to his rip-roaring success in winning the Olympic Games for Rio — but as it turns out, the deadline for Nobel nominations was way back on February 1.

Obama took office on January 20. Gosh, it’s so long ago now. What “extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy” did he make in those first twelve days? Bowing to the Saudi King? Giving the British prime minister the Wal-Mart discount box of Twenty Classic Movies You’ve Seen A Thousand Times? “Er, Barack, I’ve already seen these.” “That’s okay. They won’t work in your DVD player anyway.”

For these and other “extraordinary efforts” in “cooperation between peoples,” President Obama is now the fastest winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in history. Alas, the extraordinary efforts of those first twelve days are already ancient history. Reflecting the new harmony of U.S.-world relations since the administration hit the “reset” button, the Times of London declared the award “preposterous” and Svenska Freds (the Swedish Peace and Arbitration Society) called it “shameful.” There’s something almost quaintly vieux chapeau about the Nobel decision, as if the hopeychangey bumper stickers were shipped surface mail to Oslo and only arrived last week. Everywhere else, they’re peeling off: The venerable lefties at Britain’s New Statesman currently have a cover story on “Barack W. Bush.”

Happily, there are still a few Americans willing to stand by Mister Saturday Night. “I am shocked at the mean-spirited comments,” wrote Judi Romaine to the Times in protest at all the naysaying. “I’m afraid I’ve registered into a very conversative [sic], fear-based world here but I’d like to suggest the incredible notion we all create our worlds in our conversations. What are you building by maligning rather than creating discourses for workability? Bravo to Obama and others working for people, however it appears to cynics.”

If that’s the language you have to speak when you’re “working for people,” I’d rather work for a cranky mongoose. Yet to persons who can use phrases like “creating discourses for workability” with a straight face, Obama remains an heroic figure. Like Judi Romaine, he works hard to “create our worlds in our conversations.” Why, only the other day, very conversationally, the administration floated the trial balloon that it could live with the Taliban returning to government in Afghanistan. A lot of Afghans won’t be living with it, but that’s their lookout.

This is — how to put this delicately? — something of a recalibration of Obama’s previous position. From about a year after the fall of Baghdad, Democrats adopted the line that Bush’s war in Iraq was an unnecessary distraction from the real war, the good war, the one in Afghanistan that everyone — Dems, Europeans, all the nice people — were right behind, 100 percent. No one butched up for the Khyber Pass more enthusiastically than Barack Obama: “As president, I will make the fight against al-Qaeda and the Taliban the top priority.” (July 15, 2008)

But that was then and this is now. As the historian Robert Dallek told Obama recently, “War kills off great reform movements.” As the Washington Post’s E. J. Dionne reminded the president, his supporters voted for him not to win a war but to win a victory on health care and other domestic issues. Obama’s priorities lie not in the Hindu Kush but in America: Why squander your presidency on trying to turn an economically moribund feudal backwater into a functioning nation state when you can turn a functioning nation state into an economically moribund feudal backwater?

Gosh, given their many assertions that Afghanistan is “a war we have to win” (Obama to the VFW, August 2008), you might almost think, pace Judi Romaine, that it’s the president and water-bearers like Gunga Dionne who are the “cynics.” In a recent speech to the Manhattan Institute, Charles Krauthammer pointed out that, in diminishing American power abroad to advance statism at home, Obama and the American people will be choosing decline. There are legitimate questions about our war aims in Afghanistan, and about the strategy necessary to achieve them. But, eight years after being toppled, the Taliban will see their return to power as a great victory over the Great Satan, and so will the angry young men from Toronto to Yorkshire to Chechnya to Indonesia who graduated from Afghanistan’s Camp Jihad during the 1990s. And so will the rest of the world: They will understand that the modern era’s ordnungsmacht (the “order maker”) has chosen decline.

Barack Obama will have history’s most crowded trophy room, but his presidency is shaping up as a tragedy — for America, and the world.

— Mark Steyn, a National Review columnist, is author of America Alone. © 2009 Mark Steyn

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just 'Becoming a Joke?" Yeah right, I can't imagin just how far back I would have to go to find out when Obama became a joke. Well I could, but I won't.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
"Just becoming a Joke"?? That's a Laugh, That Piece of Garbage has Been a Joke all of his Life and he Will Continue to be a Joke for the Rest of his Life!! Except Now that we are Stuck Until 2012 with that Moron He will be a "Public Joke" for the World to continue Laughing, But the Bad thing is that the World is Laughing at Us, The Citizens of this Fine Country Because "Some" of you Voted Him in and Still Support His Sorry Butt!!

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Is Obama becoming a joke? No more so than this forum is becoming a joke. Since the interesting members have been banned there isn't much left but a whole lot of mindless drivel...

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Is Obama becoming a joke? No more so than this forum is becoming a joke. Since the interesting members have been banned there isn't much left but a whole lot of mindless drivel...

Naw, Obumma's Got the Forum Beat Hands Down when it comes to being a Joke, He's a Flat Out Loser!! And as Far as the Banning Goes, There are Still 1 or 2 Others that need to be gone too, But I'm sure the Mods are looking into them as well!!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by letzrockexpress

Just think, you have 39 more months of it!!! Get use to it cause it ain't goin to change!!!! BUT, you do know how to not read it don't you...........:D

I average 4-6 post a day, maybe ill kick that up to 10.....:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
No offense but I would like to see more about other issues, we already know about Obama and all the stuff. I know you have a passion for it, not a problem but we lack balance here in this forum.

We can't change a thing about him, he is president like it or not but we can cut off his legs through a change in congress. I want to see my fellow brain dead citizens do something other than vote the same idiots in office, they don't see the cooralation between lack of jobs and senators and congressmen who fight the wrong fights.

As for Letzrock thing on banning people, I have to sort of agree with him. There are a few who were banned and have returned under different IDs and who should not be here but we have a few who should not have been banned or there should be a reconsideration with them.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I can't create balance...if barrys supporters don't want to post all of the good stuff or show the stuff that i post is wrong, thats their problem nit mine.....

The balance will come when they post , until then, i'll keep doin what i do...

Oh, and he is THE president, not mine..i don't recognize him at all, only the screw ups he does on a daily basis.....as far as i am concerned, at this time our country has no leadership in government at all from barry on down.....one party rule doesn't work, and those that think it does, might waant to get in line for their share of the "obama money" from his "stash"....you are right, they are brain dead....

and i didn't bring up anyone bein banned, those that were, did that to themselves..as for Letz, pfff let him stay all he does is whineanf poke at others...no skin off my back...he certainly isn't providing any of the "Balance" you spoke of......lol

Last edited:

virginiaham

Not a Member
How correct you are "Rocketman"

The interesting ones post have been replaced by more
fairyland experiences from the "fictional" writer.

Did you hear ? ....he also expedites in a fleet of Boeing 747's
he bought from his buddies at the U of NeverNever-Land.

Good Gawd... i gotta get a higher pair of boots

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh........ nevermind