New opportunity

Wdever

New Recruit
Driver
Just need some good advice and opinions. I have a opportunity to do a local route M-F delivering new tires on a designated route. I will be buying a high top 159 base sprinter van. The pay is $1,300 a week with weekends off. The route is the same everyday. The 1,300 is gross and I'm not sure yet if there is any fuel or maintenance discount yet. This would be just a start for me and if I like it I would like to do expediting in the future. Kinda wanna learn the owner operator business first before I jump into something really big. Thank you!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 1st thought was...sign me up ;)

Then other questions cloud my first thought...

If I already had a Sprinter or suitable size vehicle, I'd be at least interested. I would be hesitant buying a vehicle for a job I didn't know if I would like.

What are the legalities involved?
I would think this would be considered commercial deliveries. Commercial/ liability insurance needed? Is coverage provided, or running totally under the radar? I don't know what would be needed, if anything, for this situation. But I'd sure would want to know before spending any money on this venture.

Sidenote: For a local job, definitely worth looking into. Personally, I think I would get sick of doing that after a few weeks, but that's me. I hate hauling tires :tearsofjoy:

Wdever

New Recruit
Driver
I appreciate your opinion and advice. I definitely need to find out more specifics about the job tomorrow. I'm looking at a used Ram promaster, I don't want a brand new one for a local gig. I can pay cash for a decent used one. I'm pretty sure I will have to have commercial insurance.

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I appreciate your opinion and advice. I definitely need to find out more specifics about the job tomorrow. I'm looking at a used Ram promaster, I don't want a brand new one for a local gig. I can pay cash for a decent used one. I'm pretty sure I will have to have commercial insurance.

If you haven't already, get a quote on commercial insurance and or cargo insurance if needed, before going forward. Depending on where you live, amount of coverage needed, Etc, it can get pricey. Buying used and paying cash is a definite plus

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Wdever

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many miles is the route? As mentioned, find out what insurance is required and get the cost on that. Calculate fuel costs using the pessimist mpg value for that van. Factor an appropriate cpm figure for tires, oil changes, brakes, etc. etc. etc., maybe a dime a mile? Deduct all that and see if what's left makes it worthwhile. Also, would it be one and done? IOW, do you load all the tires in the morning and when you drop the last ones you're through for the day or do you take a batch and then go get another batch for another part of the route? Have you driven the route once to see what it is? I'm sure there are other things to ask/consider but that's all that comes to mind this early.

Reactions: Wdever