Loads going cheap lately?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im talking about in the situation where he would rather deadhead. Freight or no freight, same miles
Gotta be real careful nowadays running the newer vans without paying the running cost, and future replacement imo

I do know I wouldn't even be able to do what I'm doing with a newer van. That era is over I think

It's been really hard to wrap my head around it, but I really think it's sometimes better to park

Sure is nice sightseeing at 55 mph anyway :tongueclosed:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who am I kidding. I am personally offended at taking a backhaul rate when I know the carrier didn't. There I said it

Hi carrier. Yes I found another company to stuff my van at full rate, when you refuse to

:tearsofjoy: :tongueclosed:

(Somebody there reads my posts. I used to get a run nearly every time I complained)

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im talking about in the situation where he would rather deadhead. Freight or no freight, same miles ....

Understood. I've had long dead heads home before. No cheapo freight for me, thank you.
If I told you what I made per loaded mi last week, you wouldn't believe me. Guys been out here for a little bit, they think they know how it all works. Look at what you're making all miles driven. The math isn't that hard, guys just wanna ignore the actual numbers ...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hardly anyone will sit down and figure out THEIR ACTUAL cost per mile, Grizzly

My 13th year, and I only bothered this year. I think, because of a convo I was having with you

Easy to ignore when you can't even handle the loads you're being offered, but essential right now

Edit: I'll add, unless this is a lifestyle choice, it's in competition with any job I could be doing at home. If it falls below that threshold, lots of good paying jobs that don't involve not sleeping and being away from home

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Food for thought. If this surprises you, you likely aren't including something in your own cost per mile, whether it be salary or maybe vehicle replacement...the only ones that don't have to worry about the vehicle cost are those with a paid for truck on the cusp of retirement

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Understood. I've had long dead heads home before. No cheapo freight for me, thank you.
If I told you what I made per loaded mi last week, you wouldn't believe me. Guys been out here for a little bit, they think they know how it all works. Look at what you're making all miles driven. The math isn't that hard, guys just wanna ignore the actual numbers ...
My cost per mile is based my total expenses per month, insurance, van payment, total gas, what i put away for my repair and maintnance fund, etc.....all divided by the total odometer miles for the time period, thats loaded miles, relocation, deadhead, etc. Im not just calculating my loaded miles. I also have several other analytics that are calculated through my spreadsheet that allows me to see my business and its spendings and earnings from many angles to see where it can improve.
Food for thought. If this surprises you, you likely aren't including something in your own cost per mile, whether it be salary or maybe vehicle replacement...the only ones that don't have to worry about the vehicle cost are those with a paid for truck on the cusp of retirement

If im including my van payment in my expenses on a monthly basis i dont see how future vehicle matters in the cost per mile. The cost of the future vehicle will be paid over its life besides a down payment i guess? But the down payment would just go to the first month van payment on the spreadsheet.

Also salary i definately wouldnt include in the cost per mile as an owner operator, as a fleet owner absolutely, but owner operator that just depends too nuch. Its really easy for a owner op to give themselves a high salary then start complaining about "wow my most pper mile is so high" you know what you decide is a fair salary is based on your personal needs.

I have a very cheap mortgage, im single, i eat cheap, and i try tp save all i can to reinvest. Its unfair to just objectively say my cost per mile would be 1.63 just becauss john smith is a trucker with 8 wifes and 24 kids (hes morman) and has to take a high salary each week.

• Haha
Reactions: T270_Dreamin

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The cost of the future vehicle will be paid over its life besides a down payment i guess?
I know I'm different that way, but after this many years, it seems I'm always chasing the bills instead of being ahead of them if I don't. When it slows down like now. You're also stuck with a payment if you decide to leave the business

Also salary i definately wouldnt include in the cost per mile as an owner operator,
This causes most people to work for the truck and forget about paying themselves when quoting rates. I prefer to know what I need for a living and know I'm getting it. Otherwise, I might as well work a normal job, not for the van dealership and mechanic

To each their own...

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Dont get me wrong you DEFINATELY need to figure out what sorta salary you need, but i just dont include it in my cost per mile is all. I look at my bottom line and say ok i made this much i need this much for personal stuff so this is how much i can put back into the business.

And yes youll have a van payment if you decide to leave, but you also have an asset thats still worth money to hopefully even out what you owe, i know they do depreciate.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the salary isn't in your cost per mile what's your lowest bid? For me it would look very different with salary out. My van is paid for and averages 22 mpg loaded, I could undercut even the "eastern europeans" lol (why ppl think eastern europeans are to blame I dunno, but its kinda funny,)

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Doesnt matter if im single or married im talking about business numbers whatever you choose to do with your bottom line is you weather thats being single with few expenses or married with alot. A cost per mile doesnt include mortgage, child support payments, or whatever else goes on in your personal life.

I dont want to run for 65 cents a mile. Im trying to make the most profit I can per week. Im going to try to get more, but when im in risky areas ill take a low profit run to get out the same or next day vs waiting 3 days losing money just sitting there waiting for an .85cpm run, and then possibly deciding to deadhead a long way for 0 CPM. If you dont like it im sorry. Doesnt mean im ever even considering it in ohio or some other decent or even kinda decent area. Thats just when im trying to get out of a city thats a far DH from a better area, that i also dont like. I wouldn't mind sitting in denver or salt lake city waiting for a decent rate as much because i like mountains and could probably find something cool to do waiting. But laredo, el paso, phoenix....creepy vibes, hot nasty desert heat, no thanks. Ill run for cheaper to leave sorry.

I dont know why this is so appalling to yall when i hear the advice all the time on here that if you are getting a run to these riskier western cities to ask for more so you can deadhead like 500+ miles sometimes back to the western midwest. Why not on top of doing that try to get SOMETHING???
Now your thinking! :)
Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe I'm unique, but refusing a low dollar run most times gets a higher $$ callback later...

I used to do a run for fuel money, just so I didn't have to deadhead. Home 12 hours later. It was a happy day when I stopped

Remember Morse Tool, Ken?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
One thing I don’t understand is, how are you going to pay for your repairs and replace your vehicle when the time comes for lets say .20/mi profit. Better hope you find a lot of pennies on the ground.
By only doing it when you are in a risky place, that you also got extra money going into. Never once have i just run for 20 cents over period. What im talking about is risk management. Also, you should have a maintnance and repair fund as part of your operating costs in my opinion. I do 3 cents a mile on all miles driven.