26ft box trucks weight

FFU

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello all I have a question I’m new in the trucking business just got my authority on my 1999 international 4700 26ft box truck what I am unclear about is how much I can haul I was advised that I could haul 26,000lbs is this correct or is it I have to have the truck weighed empty on a full tank to know what can be placed in it?

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello all I have a question I’m new in the trucking business just got my authority on my 1999 international 4700 26ft box truck what I am unclear about is how much I can haul I was advised that I could haul 26,000lbs is this correct or is it I have to have the truck weighed empty on a full tank to know what can be placed in it?
Take the truck to a CAT scale at a truck stop. Put all your gear in the truck (straps, load bars, pads, pallet jack) beforehand. Fuel truck up and with you in it roll up on scale and get it weighed. This is your empty weight. Now subtract the empty weight from 26,000 and you have the amount of weight you can legally haul without going over 26,000 lbs. if you go over that than air brakes are required and you will have to get that endorsement on you cdl b license. Enjoy logging and frequent inspections both in the office and on the road. Also don’t forget to get in the driver pool for random drug and alcohol and drug screening (DOT required).

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome.
Don’t get your panties in a wad over scales, logging, and inspections.
Adults have been trucking that way since before we were born.Just be sure you understand all those aspects before you start running.
The harder part to understand is axle weights.
Look on your door jamb for axle ratings. If your steer axle is 12,000 lbs, never load over that.
So, if you can haul 18,000 lbs, if you are pretty close to that, weigh the truck. If over 12,000 on steer, you’ll have to transfer some of the weight back. Probably not an issue, but you should be aware.
Also, learn about proper securement and get the proper securement equipment.
I saw a rookie that put one 7,000 piece in the box, unsecured! Driver’s theory was it’s so heavy it ain’t going nowhere.
Driver could have killed somebody with that thinking.
Please post your axle ratings. I’m curious what they’d use on a 25,999 gvw truck.

djidok

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome.
Don’t get your panties in a wad over scales, logging, and inspections.
Adults have been trucking that way since before we were born.Just be sure you understand all those aspects before you start running.
The harder part to understand is axle weights.
Look on your door jamb for axle ratings. If your steer axle is 12,000 lbs, never load over that.
So, if you can haul 18,000 lbs, if you are pretty close to that, weigh the truck. If over 12,000 on steer, you’ll have to transfer some of the weight back. Probably not an issue, but you should be aware.
Also, learn about proper securement and get the proper securement equipment.
I saw a rookie that put one 7,000 piece in the box, unsecured! Driver’s theory was it’s so heavy it ain’t going nowhere.
Driver could have killed somebody with that thinking.
Please post your axle ratings. I’m curious what they’d use on a 25,999 gvw truck.

My 05 4300 has a 17.5 rear axle.... i think most 26k trucks run that