Drug Testing for Vans

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Either way I have no problem with the standards we set in this industry. I don’t look in the rear view mirror and I don’t spend time looking to the left and the right. I prefer to keep looking straight ahead at what is in front on us

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You got to respect an operation like John runs.

And I always thought his drivers respected him because of his help on getting them showers.

Nice work, John.

I cant tell if you're being serious or, if that's your lame half wit attempt at sarcasm.

Hate to disappoint you.
I was serious.
I have the utmost respect for the way John runs the operation.

Reactions: jelliott

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well in fairness always harder via text for sure.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We pay for pre employment and randoms. DOT can be done in our shop for $25 bucks. You would be amazed at the amount of things we find that the owner operator can get taken care of at river convince vs paying big money on a break down. Saves them money and helps maintain service levels.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did my own research. The DOT level 1 I downloaded from FMCSA sounds like what I do every month, and a lot of it weekly or daily.

I'd do that tomorrow, and as often as asked.

The Canadian standard for passenger cars is 96 pages (Ontario) over 10,000 lbs is 195 pages long (NSC, canadian DOT)

Mystery solved. DOT is cheap n easy, here no, with tons of room for interpretation.

Personally I was told over $4000 until I threw a fit, and found them using Mercedes guidelines instead of the federal standard. It still cost $1700 because the mechanic wouldn't sign until he replaced things that may break in the future (there was rust on the backing plates that may have created holes later etc)

Sorry about my reactions earlier. I have no issues with being required to get a DOT safety :D

You guys might want to consider updating that over there.

And you covering that; Load One sounds like a fantastic carrier to work for!

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Landstar requires an annual DOT every 120 days.

The tricky part is thier standards are higher than the government. The theory is when you pass you should have good enough tires and stuff to pass a DOT inspection 119 days from now.
They have a list of shops, and only certain people in those shops are Landstar certified.
If you pass they pay.
If you fail, you have repairs done there or tow it somewhere. How can they allow you to drive somewhere for repairs in a unit that failed ?

And you’re right. All indications is Load1 is one of the better companies to work for. Maybe the best. I don’t know, I never worked there.

I waiting for John to advertise for a personal chauffeur. I’d just have to beat out OVM.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, the DOT check is a joke. All it tells you is if something's broken. (OK joke is too harsh)

We just had an overhaul of the whole system, for passenger cars too. I was talking to the mechanic - he said my daughter's Toyota needed a wheel bearing to safety.

No, it wasn't loose when he wiggled the wheel. No, it wasn't making noise. But when he hooked up a DIAL CALIPER to it, there were a few thousands over spec, meaning it would fail (eventually)

This is the new Ontario standard. I didn't see anything about dial calipers in the DOT regs

(If Landstar mechanics are driver friendly like Load One I think that's great. As you can see by the use of dial calipers they're ridiculous here)

Push is on for a straight truck now. I didn't realize the bar was so low

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah I hijacked the thread.

I think drug testing is overdue for vans. Think of how carriers and drivers can push the HOS

They may cause less damage when crashing, but liability....

Edit: an hour ago I just got a warning from my elderly mother about a driver that had a failed test. FYI peruvian tea can be made from the Coca plant, but it doesn't get u high

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The tricky part is thier standards are higher than the government. The theory is when you pass you should have good enough tires and stuff to pass a DOT inspection 119 days from now.
They have a list of shops, and only certain people in those shops are Landstar certified.
If you pass they pay.
If you fail, you have repairs done there or tow it somewhere. How can they allow you to drive somewhere for repairs in a unit that failed ?

And you’re right. All indications is Load1 is one of the better companies to work for. Maybe the best. I don’t know, I never worked there.

I waiting for John to advertise for a personal chauffeur. I’d just have to beat out OVM.
I’ve worked for both. 9 yrs at LEAM and 7 1/2 yrs (current) with Load 1. After being with both carriers for this amount of time I would rate them in no particular order 1a and 1b. Both are sensational carriers and they have ideal team members. JMHO.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My current carrier and my past carrier both required annual DOT inspections and quarterly maintenance reports for vans. Both also required a DOT physical every two years and van drivers subject to random drug tests. Con-Way Now required van drivers to have a CDL and Hazmat endorsement. I'm not sure if Panther requires a CDL.

With both carriers I paid for the annual DOT inspection and the DOT physical. My last DOT inspection cost $100 and my last physical was $99 and I was fully dressed for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokcanadian

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fusion requires drug testing at your introduction, and also have Random drug testing.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The old fart had better be faster than me, i live a lot closer.

Looking at the list of potential applicants, the question is:
Does he want a driver that stops at red lights, or stops at red light districts ?

Disclaimer: This message was just a lame half wit attempt at humor.
Not suitable for all viewers.

guido4475

Not a Member
I lo

If you pass they pay.

I’ve worked for both. 9 yrs at LEAM and 7 1/2 yrs (current) with Load 1. After being with both carriers for this amount of time I would rate them in no particular order 1a and 1b. Both are sensational carriers and they have ideal team members. JMHO.

loved Landstar when I was there in 97. When Express America was in Charlotte still.

Reactions: Treadmill