Drug Testing for Vans

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Don't drink and drive, actually don't drink at all anymore, don't smoke weed and drive since the 60's/70's, BUT, if you are off duty and it is legal to do so..........

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
Lol. I'm forbidden by the wife. Which probably helps my driving :D
When I retire, I plan to imbibe a little.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
BrokCanadian's comments are testimony why a carrier would require periodic safety inspection performed by government licensed or carrier approved inspectors. Operating a vehicle with faulty ABS and turn signals does not meet the requirements or expectations of a carrier, its customers or the motoring public.

Such a significant number of CDL and non-CDL drivers are cited for drug and/or alcohol use while operating a motor vehicle that, in my opinion, random D&A testing is warranted

Reactions: Moot

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BrokCanadian's comments are testimony why a carrier would require periodic safety inspection performed by government licensed or carrier approved inspectors. Operating a vehicle with faulty ABS and turn signals does not meet the requirements or expectations of a carrier, its customers or the motoring public.
In fact, it was inspected by a government approved mechanic shop, and passed safety by them. (Of course, they were the ones that broke it.)

Abs warning light is not a failure for an under 10k vehicle in Ontario, Canada

The signals? Work fine, pushing on the steering column. (Again they broke this, insisting the u joint was faulty on a Sprinter with 180k miles.)

You're quoting the system that broke these items in the first place. If I hadn't been required to take to a government approved facility, they would still be fine now

Nobody within 45 minutes of me will take a sprinter in. And this shop that accepted mine, now won't either.

I don't begrudge the yearly safety on commercial vehicles above 10k. You'd think with the additional liability, mechanics would RTFM (you'd hope)

Rest assured, for the motoring public, my carrier, and customers - the ABS (which is not required) does indeed function, the code is for an implausible signal. Direct quote from mechanic "we tried but we had to hammer the #### out of it" and I make sure the signals light on every turn

Edit: I suppose my point is: I take a dim view of carriers requiring things outside the law. I complied with the law in my case, and still do. I believe hand signals are still legal if it came to that :p (Kidding but true)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennesseahawk

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't drink and drive, actually don't drink at all anymore, don't smoke weed and drive since the 60's/70's, BUT, if you are off duty and it is legal to do so..........
Weed isn't legal. Some states yes, but not federally legal. THC can be stored in the body and detected as long as a month after using.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Weed isn't legal. Some states yes, but not federally legal. THC can be stored in the body and detected as long as a month after using.

Ok.
Let’s say I smoke pot in Denver today.
I have an accident in my $printer next week.
I get tested.
I have some trace amount. But I’m not impaired at time of accident.
No harm, no foul ??

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok.
I get tested.
No harm, no foul ??
Try it and find out. You don't need to be involved in an accident to be tested for drugs. What about a random or pre-employment drug test? I average about one random every two years. More often if someone at my carrier reads my posts here.

Marijuana is considered a controlled substance by the Feds and is illegal. It is not like alcohol which is legal and has BAC perimeters that define impairment.

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Ok.
I get tested.
No harm, no foul ??
Can be detected - Yes. However, MaryJane's effects are (mostly) gone in 2-4 hrs when smoking and 4-6 when consuming edibles. When I used to drink (heavily) I could be somewhat shakey and disoriented the next morning when it was time for work. There needs to be a lot more research on the subject, but, de-criminalazation is happening state by state and will happen nationally eventually.
Screenshot_20190211-083208.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Ok.
I get tested.
No harm, no foul ??

That's why the notion of testing the general public after each & every accident is silly, nice thought but it's not gonna fly. There should be a clear division between commercial & non-commercial drivers.
To answer your question/scenario directly .... if your carrier doesn't test, which most don't, you'd probably get off. If your carrier triggered the test, then idk ... you'd probably get canned.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I used to drink (heavily) I could be somewhat shakey and disoriented the next morning when it was time for work.
After heavy drinking you could have blown a .07 the next morning, which is the threshold for a DUI in some states. If you were driving a CMV even a .01 BAC would put you out of service. As for pot, it doesn't matter if you are impaired or not. If you test positive for THC you're toast.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After heavy drinking you could have blown a .07 the next morning, which is the threshold for a DUI in some states. If you were driving a CMV even a .01 BAC would put you out of service. As for pot, it doesn't matter if you are impaired or not. If you test positive for THC you're toast.
You "OLD " Guys from the 60's ..image_search_1549936815358.gif

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I used to drink (heavily) I could be somewhat shakey and disoriented the next morning when it was time for work.

.....or toasted.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With apologies to Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter.

Driving that Ford, weed in my gourd,
Casey Jones better not get a random
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind
This Transit sometimes makes it on time
Leaves the shipper bout eight or nine
Hits hits the I-90/I-294 junction bout 17:30
At a quarter to ten you know it's travelin' again

Driving that Ford, weed in my gourd
Casey Jones better not get a random
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

Reactions: brokcanadian

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Yes we test all of our drivers at a CDL level on pre employment and randoms. We also do DOT physicals. Yes we also do DOT inspections on the vehicles. It’s not our insurance company. It is simply my decision. It’s my company’s name on the side of the van and it’s our reputation that goes with it. Perfect system...no. But when we are drug into court it feels good to show how you exceed any federal standard and set the bar above what the industry does on average. Our standards and expectations are not for everyone....and honestly that is how I prefer it.

And we have always had a shop. We just don’t work on outside vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You got to respect an operation like John runs.

And I always thought his drivers respected him because of his help on getting them showers.

Nice work, John.

guido4475

Not a Member
You got to respect an operation like John runs.

And I always thought his drivers respected him because of his help on getting them showers.

Nice work, John.

I cant tell if you're being serious or, if that's your lame half wit attempt at sarcasm.