2014 Hino 258 exhaust brake

rgf451

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey all,
I have a 2014 Hino 258 and when it idles, the exhaust brake engages and stalls the truck out. If I keep the truck idled up with my foot on the accelerator, it is fine. But about 10 seconds after letting the truck sit at idle, the exhaust brake will engage and drag the rpms low enough that the truck stalls out.
Any ideas on this?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
The exhaust brake is acting like a "banana in the tailpipe" and choking out the engine. Its either an adjustment of the exh brake or an issue with the exhaust brake itself. You will need DX2 or DX dealer software to properly adjust the brake. If you don't have them then I suggest you have it adjusted by a dealer or someone with the software. You can cause more harm than good by adjusting it blindly.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I see that you have the DX2 software PM me your email address and i can send you the procedure.

nb1948

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I see that you have the DX2 software PM me your email address and i can send you the procedure.
Morning all, I'm having the same problem recently with our 2014 Hino 268. Looking for DXII exhaust brake adjustment procedure if at all possible.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Warm up the vehicle to at least 170F. Use data monitor to monitor coolant temp, rpm, and injection quantity. Use activation test to command 980 rpm. Record injection quantity after it stabilizes. Turn on the exhaust brake, record injection quantity. It will be higher with the brake on. You want this difference to be 12mm3.
The exhaust brake arm has two adjusting bolts. You will only adjust the bolt that the arm contacts with the brake on. Leave the other one alone. To raise injection quantity, screw the bolt in, a little at a time. This allows the brake to shut tighter, increasing the fuel being injected. To lower injection quantity, unscrew the bolt.

This is applicable to 2008-2014 trucks. Newer trucks have a slightly different procedure. DXII is still essential.