The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Explain it to me, as you would a child. I ain't getting the point. Congress shall make no law establishing religion, nor the free exercise thereof.

I already did.
Ah, so because this county is based in part on the State not influencing the freedom of religion, the people of all different religions, including those with no religion whatsoever, should therefore do the same. That makes no sense dood.

dalscott

Expert Expediter
Ah, so because this county is based in part on the State not influencing the freedom of religion, the people of all different religions, including those with no religion whatsoever, should therefore do the same. That makes no sense dood.

I can’t believe that you can’t understand. Somebody made issue about a Muslin being sworn in on the Quran. I was taking up for the Muslin based on freedom of religion. Just the opposite of what you are thinking that I was saying.
When someone runs for office, I don’t give a rip about his religion. He or she could be an atheist for all I care. What I care about is what they are going to do for me and the nation as a whole. Do you understand now?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If Trump really cared so much about the wall and this funding, why didn't he do it in the first two years?

Why now?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I can’t believe that you can’t understand.
I believe you.

Somebody made issue about a Muslin being sworn in on the Quran. I was taking up for the Muslin based on freedom of religion.
Yep. I got that. It as fairly obvious. I asked what point you were making, because no one said anything even remotely akin to the Muslim shouldn't be allowed to swear the oath of office on the Quran. And you tried to make that point while quoting my posy that someone criticizing her doing that may or may not unwarranted, and I even made a case that the criticism, at least by Christians, is at the very least understandable, of not actually warranted. By quoting my post, you seemed to be implying that because the US is based in part on freedom of religion that her swearing in on the Quran should not be questioned or criticized.

Just the opposite of what you are thinking that I was saying.
Newp. It's precisely what I was thinking.

When someone runs for office, I don’t give a rip about his religion. He or she could be an atheist for all I care. What I care about is what they are going to do for me and the nation as a whole. Do you understand now?
You should have led with that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If someone directly or indirectly pays for something. They're still paying for it.
Following that logic, the U.S. taxpayer will ultimately pay for the wall..... ;)
Of course the U.S. Taxpayer will ultimately pay for the wall. We can spend $5 billion for the wall and other border security measures now. Or we can spend a few billion dollars here and there for generations to pay for social services, education, health, crime, drugs, etc. that will come with an open border and no background checks for immigrants.

The United States is probably the most generous donor when it comes to foreign aid. Do we really need to let anyone and everyone into our country because their current residence is a shíthóle? Granted most of our foreign aid to these countries ends up in the hands of the despots and their cronies that run these countries. But still...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
.... no one said anything even remotely akin to the Muslim shouldn't be allowed to swear the oath of office on the Quran.
It may not have been said, but it was implied.
Or, at the very least, inferred ;)

People can swear or affirm their oarh of office using any book they like, or no book at all. Historically, the Bible is certainly the most common item on which people in the US swear to tell the truth, and when they use something other than the Bible it's fair game for comment.

I think it's hilarious that Miss Pottymouth Michigan took her oath of office on Thomas Jefferson's copy of the Quran. She probably thinks he was a bigly fan of Islam, based on the breathtaking claims of SJWs all over the Internet who claim he and the other Founding Fathers luuuved them some Islam. She should have instead read what he wrote about the subject. If she had, she wouldn't touch his copy with a 10 foot slab of bacon.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't think a border wall, current or proposed, is really intended to address visa overstays at all.

It should also be noted that the Center for Migration Studies of New York is very much a pro migration and pro migration rights organization, and is part of the Scalabrini International Migration Network, a global network of migrant shelters, service centers, and other institutions along migrant corridors and in border and destination communities. They do believe in open borders and unfettered migration.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't think a border wall, current or proposed, is really intended to address visa overstays at all.
It is presented to the American public as the answer to the illegal immigration problem. It clearly is not.
It is presented to the American people as just one of several measures to secure the southern border and stop people from illegally crossing it.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is presented to the American public as the answer to the illegal immigration problem. It clearly is not.
It is presented to the American people as just one of several measures to secure the southern border and stop people from illegally crossing it.
What other measures? All i hear is ... the wall, the wall, the wall!

Reactions: Grizzly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

This article actually helps the cause for the wall, if we didnt need all those people to patrol the border, they could be re assigned to the department that tracks down people who over stay their visa.
Actually, it doesn't. What it does show, is current enforcement at the border is working and numbers are falling. Any extra monies spent need to be directed at where the problem is,,

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's kind of the problem, people hear what they want to hear, and don't bother ro find out the details.

DHS has identified about $5 billion in construction and infrastructure renovation needs at the 48 ports of entry on the US Mexican border. That includes more and better sensors to detect drugs and explosives. That will free up border guards to vet individuals. Barriers, such as a wall, fence, wence, will funnel more people to the ports of entry, where they can be vetted.

Provide more screeners and polygraph examiners to reduce the time needed to hire border patrol guards. Currently they interview, screen and polygraph 113 people for every hire, and the process takes an average of 292 days from start to hiring. One of the biggest problems at the border is not enough guard at the actual border.

Provide better inducements and incentives to retail personnel.

Body cameras.

Then the legal stuff, like removing the incentives and loopholes that attract illegal immigrants. No driver's licenses for illegals. No welfare of any kind, even to anchor babies. No more anchor babies. No more being able to cross the border illegally, get caught, and then yell the only English word you know, "assylum!" Make crossing the border illegally a criminal felony for the first offense, instead of a civil offense, make the penalty 1 year in prison and then deportation. A second offense, 10 years. A third offense, 25 years. If you are here illegally and commit a felony, it's like in prison. If you commit a misdemeanor, 10 years.

Reactions: davekc and Grizzly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's kind of the problem, people hear what they want to hear, and don't bother ro find out the details.

DHS has identified about $5 billion in construction and infrastructure renovation needs at the 48 ports of entry on the US Mexican border. That includes more and better sensors to detect drugs and explosives. That will free up border guards to vet individuals. Barriers, such as a wall, fence, wence, will funnel more people to the ports of entry, where they can be vetted.

Provide more screeners and polygraph examiners to reduce the time needed to hire border patrol guards. Currently they interview, screen and polygraph 113 people for every hire, and the process takes an average of 292 days from start to hiring. One of the biggest problems at the border is not enough guard at the actual border.

Body cameras.

Then the legal stuff, like removing the incentives and loopholes that attract illegal immigrants. No driver's licenses for illegals. No welfare of any kind, even to anchor babies. No more anchor babies. No more being able to cross the border illegally, get caught, and then yell the only English word you know, "assylum!" Make crossing the border illegally a criminal felony for the first offense, instead of a civil offense, make the penalty 1 year in prison and then deportation. A second offense, 10 years. A third offense, 25 years. If you are here illegally and commit a felony, it's like in prison. If you commit a misdemeanor, 10 years.
Thats all fine.... i can and do support those measures, but thats not what Mr Trump has been ranting about all this time...... The wall will solve the problem he assures us. Yeah, right.

Walls dont work. History proves that.

Reactions: Grizzly

dalscott

Expert Expediter

Body cameras.

I actually agree with most of what you said. One more idea would be to prosecute the head of any company that hires any illegals. Give them a long jail sentence.
The problem would slow way down if not stop if illegals realized there would be no jobs for them.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thats all fine.... i can and do support those measures, but thats not what Mr Trump has been ranting about all this time...... The wall will solve the problem he assures us. Yeah, right.
Uhm, OK, that's fine. If you heard Trump say the wall will solve all of the problems at the southern border, then that's what you heard. It's not what he said, tho.

Walls dont work. History proves that.
Ridiculous. History proves that walls do, in fact, work. If they didn't work, walls wouldn't exist. Right now on the southern border, every place a wall has been put in place, illegal border crossings have been reduced bu 90-95 percent. True enough, walls aren't 100% effective, but then again neither is anything else. But walls are enough of a deterrent that brings illegal crossings down to a manageable level so that the border guards can effectively deal with it. Even Jim Acosta, who is dead-set against a wall, went down to the border and shot video that proves the wall works.

Reactions: muttly