Xpo or Landstar

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Perhaps 1-2 skids on a straight truck strategy is to accommodate a customer that only loads dock high or, each skid was 2000# or, requires a CDL holding driver or, a team was required or, a CDL endorsement was required or, TWIC was required.

I get that, but it seems to be much more the norm (according to LS drivers I’ve talked with) than in the past. I’m guessing there’s more to it.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When a driver shows up with a straight there would seldom be a dimensional or weight problem.
Seems a safer bet for all involved.
And other issues as stated wouldn’t become an issue at all.
And of course, no van driver to deal with.

JK.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
The point to this is not what an agent feels would make this customer happy the point is a way of life that many of us have come to depend on has come to an end for Sprinter and Cargo Vans. You must realize that Express drivers all have CDL,Hazmat,TSA Certified,and WICX card.Everytime I ask what do they plan to do for more cargo for us they don't have a plan.It must be nice to seat in your office and draw a pay check and do nothing to earn it.Every, Express drives I know go the extra mile to insure the load is pick up on time and delivered on time,our driving records are the best in the business we prove it each year. Its sad too see a Company thats so big can't come up more freight our division.I can't wait to see what they have to say in January. I hope its not the pie in the sky spill.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The point to this is not what an agent feels would make this customer happy the point is a way of life that many of us have come to depend on has come to an end for Sprinter and Cargo Vans.
If the way of life you have come to depend on at Landstar has ended, you can die there or find another carrier.
You must realize that Express drivers all have CDL,Hazmat,TSA Certified,and WICX card.
You have an impressive list of credentials. Start shopping for a new carrier or buy a straight truck.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The problem is not Landstar, the problem is all the others that run for almost nothing. I was there in a Sprinter and I still have friends there in Sprinters. Landstar pays really good. I am sure if they would lower their rates to .75 a mile you guys would run like crazy. If they did, you would not like it.

Unfortunately, there is no loyalty any more. Customers dont care that you guys are good drivers and pick up and deliver on time. Almost all cheapo drivers do the same. They are willing to risk it for the almighty dollar. Sad but true.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is not a Landstar problem. It’s an industry problem. Or maybe only a problem for contractors in the van segment.
Cheaper people are entering the straight segment. It’ll put pressure on straight drivers, but not as much or as fast. Higher entry costs and HOS will keep them from running ridiculously cheap. Some are running cheaper than what reasonable people would like to see.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The point to this is not what an agent feels would make this customer happy the point is a way of life that many of us have come to depend on has come to an end for Sprinter and Cargo Vans.
If the way of life you have come to depend on at Landstar has ended, you can die there or find another carrier.
You must realize that Express drivers all have CDL,Hazmat,TSA Certified,and WICX card.
You have an impressive list of credentials. Start shopping for a new carrier or buy a straight truck.

Stay and die at Landstar.
Or move to a new carrier and die there.

I had lunch a month or two ago with a straight fleet owner at one of the big 3.
He was hesitant to come to Va because his worn out M2 has trouble pulling hills.
He’d been in a hotel because the AC didn’t work.
As we walked from restaurant to his truck in pouring rain I mentioned that the passenger window was 1/2 way down. Yeah,it didn’t work either!
He was bragging on a rate and I felt sad that the rate he was quoting was impressive to him.
Really a nice guy. Running cheap, but didn’t know it.

Expediting, except for the top 20%, is not what I’d be interested in doing if I was young.

As we wind up another year we have to think of a passing of the era.

Sad but true.
It was fun while it lasted.
Last one out turn off the lights.

guido4475

Not a Member

Stay and die at Landstar.
Or move to a new carrier and die there.

I had lunch a month or two ago with a straight fleet owner at one of the big 3.
He was hesitant to come to Va because his worn out M2 has trouble pulling hills.
He’d been in a hotel because the AC didn’t work.
As we walked from restaurant to his truck in pouring rain I mentioned that the passenger window was 1/2 way down. Yeah,it didn’t work either!
He was bragging on a rate and I felt sad that the rate he was quoting was impressive to him.
Really a nice guy. Running cheap, but didn’t know it.

Expediting, except for the top 20%, is not what I’d be interested in doing if I was young.

As we wind up another year we have to think of a passing of the era.

Sad but true.
It was fun while it lasted.
Last one out turn off the lights.

Absolutely true. Why Im so hesitant to buy a new van.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I have never driven for LEA but I have a lot of second hand knowledge of their operations in the expedite market coming mainly from more than one very successful straight truck O/O's there. The key to their successes was the manner in which they marketed themselves. Landstar generally dispatches their freight, not through a central dispatch like the typical expedite carrier, but through a series of brokers located throughout the country. My understanding is that the brokers do not dispatch in a "First In First Out" FIFO method, they dispatch known operators who will accept loads at reasonable costs and satisfy them and their customers. The brokers mostly dispatch freight for Landstar Inway and Landstar Ranger, Landstar Express America is not their first priority nor are the LEA O/O's generally well known to them UNLESS the LEA O/O's market the unique capabilities of themselves and their vehicles. This has been done by preparing a Resume, of sorts, showing a picture of a clean, well maintained vehicle and a brief discussion of their vehicle, loading and load securement skill and experience, clean MVR and legal records. CDL endorsements etc. The O/O, thoughttheir network of fellow LEA drivers, will determine the appropriate brokers and will then call or visit the brokers after sending their resume to the brokers.

The moral of my comment is that you must personally sell yourself and when given the opportunity prove yourself with outstanding service and a good value for all concerned. Waiting for the call that rarely comes is waiting for disappointment.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Terry, you’re always full of knowledge but on this I think you’re buying into some bs. I don’t believe a word of it.
It doesn’t hurt, but I don’t think it helps very much.
I think being in the right place at the right time and saying yes get the ball rolling. Then do a perfect job. The agent will use you again and begin to look for you. I did a lot of loads that were above reasonable rates. I had 3 very lucrative years there and had agents looking for me. Not because I marketed myself it’s because I did my job right.

I heard a comment, not sure if it’s true or not. An important agent supposedly said, speaking about a team that touted their marketing efforts, “I’d rather lose the shipment then load that arrogant SOB.”

Last edited:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
BSJr,
I tried to qualify my comments with the 2nd hand knowledge and I believe the success of the folks I know are true, in their cases. In retrospect, my comment "you must personally sell yourself" was overkill and would not apply to everyone. However, as you indicated, you marketed yourself; you got the ball rolling with reasonable rates, and did a perfect job.
BTW, I believe that I know the arrogant SOB you referenced and concur with the comment.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
When I was there I didn't market myself with a resume and pictures. I just did a good job and on one occasion I visited an agent. They loaded me not based on that, but based on a job well done. Unfortunately the good paying freight dried up, which I don't believe was Landstar's fault, and I moved on.

My advise since I have been there and done that, move on to a Straight. If you want to vacation all year long do the Sprinter, but if you want to make money go to a Straight. If you go to a Straight, go to a percentage based Carrier. All the ones on flat rate are not worth it, IMO.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Flint