Higher mileage Promaster

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All these new vans the carriers want, in mint condition, with good maintenance, but they are still paying the same rates regular sized 2500 vans used to get 20 years ago. Why would anyone lease on a long and tall expensive cargo van with any carrier who is still paying them the same amount of money a flat top van is getting for the same type of service? I wouldn't by a long and tall van just to get a few extra loads a year. I want to be compensated more money for the extra load space and for having a newer vehicle.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All these new vans the carriers want, in mint condition, with good maintenance, but they are still paying the same rates regular sized 2500 vans used to get 20 years ago. Why would anyone lease on a long and tall expensive cargo van with any carrier who is still paying them the same amount of money a flat top van is getting for the same type of service? I wouldn't by a long and tall van just to get a few extra loads a year. I want to be compensated more money for the extra load space and for having a newer vehicle.

That's the logical way to look at it.

I mentioned the following on another post ...
When I started there was a Sprinter rate and a van rate. Guys that were first time hi-top van buyers should have seen that as an opportunity to raise their rates. Didn't happen ...

Reactions: blizzard2014

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I initially was going to buy a cargo van, because I’m a huge fan of Chevy, and I really only wanted 2 pallet loads anyway. Also, I’m 6’6” so I’m not able to stand straight up in any high top van.

But thank goodness my friend talked some sense into me. Like Moot said, the room is for me, not the loads. The name of the game is staying out on the road as long as possible, so the more comfortable you are, the easier it is.

Maybe it doesn’t bother some people, but there’s a psychological issue I have if in too small of a space for too long, but I don’t have that issue with my high top van. Honestly, I’ve spent summers growing up in campers smaller than my van.

Maybe it wouldn’t bother some, but if you’re living in the thing 95% of the time, why not have the extra room?

My 2 cents anyway

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I initially was going to buy a cargo van, because I’m a huge fan of Chevy, and I really only wanted 2 pallet loads anyway. Also, I’m 6’6” so I’m not able to stand straight up in any high top van.

But thank goodness my friend talked some sense into me. Like Moot said, the room is for me, not the loads. The name of the game is staying out on the road as long as possible, so the more comfortable you are, the easier it is.

Maybe it doesn’t bother some people, but there’s a psychological issue I have if in too small of a space for too long, but I don’t have that issue with my high top van. Honestly, I’ve spent summers growing up in campers smaller than my van.

Maybe it wouldn’t bother some, but if you’re living in the thing 95% of the time, why not have the extra room?

My 2 cents anyway
When I was in a cargo van, i hated it so much because every morning when I got up to put my pants on it was a challenge. I was so happy when they brought out the taller vehicles. Jumped on it immediately and have never looked back.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like the old days driving a cab over. Putting on pants was a challenge. First conventional I drove was Volvo with intergal sleeper man o man was that a castle lol. 4-1/4 cat 13 speed triple digit truck AND I could scratch the boys standing UP in the morning.

Reactions: Solar

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That is exactly why I place my emphasis on comfort. I used to dread staying out for long periods of time, always racking up nice motel bills just to get out of the van. Now, I never use a motel unless it's completely unavoidable, like if the van is in the shop overnight. I live in a van and vacation at home, although the later is still debatable ;)