November with the One!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Who is this new mode of load offer/dispatch is this going to benefit?

And in what way?

What prompted this change?

Biggest reason is we are losing accounts and loads as we are not able to respond as fast as our competition. Especially with large direct shippers who often want to know you have coverage vs waiting for five quotes and then deciding. This lets us contact multiple trucks at one time to see if we have coverage and respond faster. It’s part of a whole internal customer service system we are building out to speed up pricing and options internally. So ideally higher coverage rates with customers is more freight and more trucks moving and everyone winning. Response time has a very direct correlation to securement rate. We are adding a two additional sales people for even more coverage but nothing frustrates sales people more than...they want to use us but the completion is faster. If we can get the pertinent info into multiple trucks hands faster and get responses faster it will help immensely with securement rate.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should." - Dr. Ian Malcom, Jurassic Park

Based on a lifetime of observation and study of human nature, and on what human nature utterly predicted about how similar ideas were implemented and received at other carriers, here are a few thoughts on the subject.

Targetted mass messaging of potential load offers, unless it is implemented very carefully is like Communism:
Looks good on paper
Sounds great!
Don't work with people.

When you get 5 phone calls in a day about loads they are looking to bid on for you, and you don't get any of them it can be frustrating, deject8ng, and depressing. But at least you know there is somebody taking the time and making the effort to find a load FOR YOU

Now, if you multiply that, and remove the human interaction factor, frustration, dejection, and depression gets multiplied, as well. Tempers will get short and you'll have increased friction between driver and dispatch thanks to even less human interaction.
Drivers will reach out for increased human interaction... Let the phones ring...
"Why didn't I get that load?"
"Well then, why by I get THAT load?!?"

When I'm sleeping my phone will only ring if the caller is in my Contacts. And the very few app notifications that I allow at all, my brain ignores all of them when I'm sleeping. If we have a very unique notification sound that is loud and jarring, only for the load offer messages (and NOT for messages about I-94 getting backed up near Kalamazoo) then it can be dealt with

But if I get awakened half a dozen times or more by an app to respond to loads I don't get, or even if I'm not sleeping at all, that's gonna get really old after about One day

Even Pavlov's dog got treat when the bell rang.

If I get a message about a potential load from from, say, Mason City, IA to Hialeah, FL, and it pays 82 cents per loaded mile, and my only impersonal options are YES and NO, with no opportunity to, for lack of a better word, negotiate, various options and obtain additional information with which to make an informed decision, then that's gonna be a hard NO. With human interaction, it's more likely YES. So there's that

So, my advice would be, be careful in the implementation. And in addition to hiring more sales people, you should hire more dispatchers with psychology degrees.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Agreed. This will be a trial and error process. The tool we are building is MUCH bigger than this piece. It will allow us to offer the customer a number of options quicker. It will also allow us to create the quotes much faster and automate that info to you guys faster s you get the pertinent info you need. We are building it in house so the good part is we can adapt and change it and have done a ton since we started testing it and I know we will make a ton more. It will also allow a lot more load data to flow to the maps and that has already proved the huge value of that data to the fleet. At first everyone was ahhhh ok we got an app and I might look at it or not. Now it goes down for 5 minutes and the fleet is lighting up the phones, email and Facebook that it Is down. We all saw how quickly the fleet adapted and embraced that technology. I am really hoping this helps take it to the next level. As well we are Integrating the camera event recorders into it as well. Lots of great stuff in the works. Again message me with ideas and feedback or tweaks you suggest vs sharing with the industry lol. We are more than happy as you know to look at all of them. All of your feedback on the driver app was a huge help!

Reactions: jjoerger

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
When I was with another Carrier that used a similar system I discovered it was much easier to say NO to a computer than to a human dispatcher. Not that I say no very often. But I have done loads for a specific dispatcher, that I probably should have declined, because I remember that great paying load he recently secured for me.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should." - Dr Ian Malcom, Jurassic Paek

Based on a lifetime of observation and study of human nature, and on what human nature utterly predicted about how similar ideas were implemented and received at other carriers, here are a few thoughts on the subject.

Targetted mass messaging of potential load offers, unless it is implemented very carefully is like Communism:
Looks good on paper
Sounds great!
Don't work with people.

When you get 5 phone calls in a day about loads they are looking to bid on for you, and you don't get any of them or can be frustrating, deject8ng, and depressing. But at least you know there is somebody taking the time and making the effort to find a load FOR YOU

Now, if you multiply that, and remove the human interaction factor, frustration dejection, and depression gets multiplied, as well. Tempers will get short and you'll have increased friction between driver and dispatch thanks to even less human interaction.
Drivers will reach out for increased human interaction... Let the phones ring...
"Well then, why by I get THAT load?!?"

When I'm sleeping my phone will only ring if the caller is in my Contacts. And the very few app notifications that I allow at all, my brain ignores all of them when I'm sleeping. If we have a very unique notification sound that is loud and jarring, only for the load offer messages (and NOT for messages about I-94 getting backed up near Kalamazoo) then it can be dealt with

But if I get awakened half a dozen times or more by an app to respond to loads I don't get, or even if I'm not sleeping at all, that's gonna get really old after about One day

Even Pavlov's dog got treat when the bell rang.

If I get a message about a potential load from from, say, Mason City, IA to Hialeah, FL, and it pays 82 cents per loaded mile, and my only impersonal options are YES and NO, with no opportunity to, for lack of a better word, negotiate, various options and obtain additional information with which to make an informed decision, then that's gonna be a hard NO. With human interaction, it's more likely YES. So there's that

So, my advice would be, be careful in the implementation. And in addition to hiring more sales people, you should hire more dispatchers with psychology degrees.

I agree 2,000%.

Biting my lip as well.

Reactions: Turtle

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We will see how it works. But the system of calling every driver or waiting for a call back then calling the second driver and on and on...is resulting in 42% of loads being already covered by the customer before we get back with a commitment of coverage. So we have to try some new methods...will they work? I don’t know but we will see or see if we change or modify it. What worked 5 years ago in the business doesn’t seem to work as well today as customers change how they operate.

Again as we roll this out and test it feel free to pm me with ideas and input after you have tried it for a while. It’s our own custom system so the nice part is we can build it and modify it to best fit our usage vs an off the shelf software like most the competition has to rely on.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Was this released only to certain few people? I don't see the option in my app.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update on fresh install. Still don't get notifications from the app.
Guess I need to start a go fund me account for a new phone :rolleyes:

Reactions: ntimevan

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Huh, surprised that is an issue. Call in to Mike Jr and have them send you a test offer to see for sure. Do you get the other alerts?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Huh, surprised that is an issue. Call in to Mike Jr and have them send you a test offer to see for sure. Do you get the other alerts?

From the L1 App, none.
From all other Apps, yes.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Did you have dispatch try and send you one?

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Good Evening Load One! Got done eating and now just hanging out. Thinking of some ice cream to top it off. Had another stellar week last week. Again, right place at the right time!

I had my first two alert load offers today, yay lol. So far I have one suggestion and I'll send you a PM Mr. E. Did get them and see what happens.

Reactions: jelliott

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you have dispatch try and send you one?

yes kind of, mike was already gone. Was told to call back in the morning. I did get the person to sent me a QC message. No announcement came on my phone, but it did on my android tablet :rolleyes:

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes kind of, mike was already gone. Was told to call back in the morning. I did get the person to sent me a QC message. No announcement came on my phone, but it did on my android tablet :rolleyes:
You updated to a Newer Sprinter .. .
It might be time to Update your cellphone.. ...image_search_1542197537163.jpeg

Money not Miles

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You updated to a Newer Sprinter .. .
It might be time to Update your cellphone.. ...

Money not Miles

Sadly, it's looking like that is the case..
Or I'm going to have to carry my big tablet everywhere I go :rolleyes:

Although, hearing a notification outside of the van will be a bit more challenging ;)