Mechanical Reprogramming ECU on Hino 268

twasluck

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
What kind of software and equipment are need to reprogram an Hino ECU and successfully remove DPR code malfunctions? I have been told the ECU and cab controller will need to be wiped.

Or can you install a pre-2008 ECU and change chassis numbers and it work?

twasluck

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I don't know if deleting it is the right word, more like destroying it. LOL On a more serious note, I have 2 Hinos 268 and nobody close to me has any technology to work on them within 75+ miles of my location. It is very time consuming to run them around for repair and was considering the cost of purchasing equipment to work on them to a point. Also why in the world does the DEF Filter cost $4,000 on these trucks?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The DPF? Yes, those are costly. They often fail because of injector failure.

You can buy Russian--hacked versions of Hino DX2 on eBay for $20. You will also need an interface tool like a Nexiq USB-link. Diagnostic capability is extremely important on these trucks, without these tools you'll go nowhere.

If you're ever near Richmond VA, stop on by.

Reactions: scottm4211

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Twasluck, if your in NC it’s worth the trip to see Greasy. I got an 07 pre emissions but I always go to Greasy. I travel over 500 miles to see him, he knows these vehicle inside and out. He has done my head gasket, turbo, valve adjustment, and some other stuff. Never have a problem afterwards. Your Welcome Greasy. Enjoy Your last day in Detroit. Lol

twasluck

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Greasy, Where are you at in Richmond, VA? Also I have a friend selling 2 Hino's 268A with over 500k on them. I am thinking about buying them but would like to know what is the rebuild cost on a J08 or is their a re-manufactured option?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Greasy, Where are you at in Richmond, VA? Also I have a friend selling 2 Hino's 268A with over 500k on them. I am thinking about buying them but would like to know what is the rebuild cost on a J08 or is their a re-manufactured option?
Sending you a PM.