Xpo or Landstar

Tonys_Corner316

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
First time posting in the forum world so bare with me lol

I’m currently with FedEx no complainants. But recently my father has been suspended for 12months for a seatbelt ticket being resolved in court! Only rediculous thing about them so far

So our plan is to purchase a second str8 truck dry van anybody ever work for Landstar or xpo?

I just wanna know if booking work is same chance at either company or one has advantage over another I’ve called n talked to recuirter both sound identical scripted figure somebody here would have worked for either or and can help me choose between the two! Thanks again any help is always appreciated

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First time posting in the forum world so bare with me lol

I’m currently with FedEx no complainants. But recently my father has been suspended for 12months for a seatbelt ticket being resolved in court! Only rediculous thing about them so far

So our plan is to purchase a second str8 truck dry van anybody ever work for Landstar or xpo?

I just wanna know if booking work is same chance at either company or one has advantage over another I’ve called n talked to recuirter both sound identical scripted figure somebody here would have worked for either or and can help me choose between the two! Thanks again any help is always appreciated
That ticket may be a problem with Landstar. They may be anal about it. Was leased on with them for 9 yrs. Didn’t drive a straight, so I couldn’t be of any help to you.

Tonys_Corner316

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
No worries, yeah I talked to them they have no issue with seatbelt ticket signing on same goes with xpo etc
Just wanted to see if anybody has worked str8 before and how Landstar basically said 62% load paid to us and no dead head etc so I was worried I book a load and have a lot of dead head to next place or if they loads are like FedEx basically always find something within the day

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since at Landstar you don't get deadhead pay and relocation pay, you have to figure out the deadhead before and after the load, and see if it is worth it to accept the load at the offered pay. It will take some time to figure this out.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tonys_Corner316

Tonys_Corner316

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I hear that. Thanks for reply !

Just gonna take time to learn the locations suited for my truck I assume. I just now started learning the hot spots for FedEx so my father would be starting new in Landstar or xpo.
Going with str8 truck prob with lift gate. Single axle. What’s the most lbs u hauled ? Tag axles worth it not?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator

Just gonna take time to learn the locations suited for my truck I assume. I just now started learning the hot spots for FedEx so my father would be starting new in Landstar or xpo.
Going with str8 truck prob with lift gate. Single axle. What’s the most lbs u hauled ? Tag axles worth it not?
I drove a Sprinter when I was with Landstar, so I don't know anything about their straight truck business.

Like treadmill said, I would still worry about that ticket. Landstar is very picky. They take a long time to check out everything. Hope it works out for your dad.

Reactions: Tonys_Corner316

Tonys_Corner316

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I do know there loads pay very well so deadhead in my opinion would not be a problem.
Back to the ticket, i wouldn’t trust what the recruiter says, I would be worried about what safety says.

Thanks I’ll have to reach out to their safety department before signing on. Thanks again

Tonys_Corner316

New Recruit
Owner/Operator

I drove a Sprinter when I was with Landstar, so I don't know anything about their straight truck business.

Like treadmill said, I would still worry about that ticket. Landstar is very picky. They take a long time to check out everything. Hope it works out for your dad.

How did you like the sprinter work? Cuz till yesterday I almost purchased a new van but am indecisive of which route to go

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

How did you like the sprinter work? Cuz till yesterday I almost purchased a new van but am indecisive of which route to go
I hear there is not much work for the sprinters right now. Straight trucks is your best bet.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tonys_Corner316 , keep in mind that if you know the "hotspots" for Fedex, it does not necessarily apply to other carriers. Landstar and XPO may have different "hotspots".
Note on sprinter type vans @ Landstar - Last I heard they were NOT putting anymore on UNLESS you already have contacts (agents) requesting it.
Landstar works much different from other expedite carriers, learn about the system here before jumping in. You are your own dispatcher, this is the biggest difference for those coming from other carriers with a dispatch system. You CAN wait for someone to call you, but you MUST be proactive in finding your loads.
Whichever you choose, best of luck to you.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one of my friends left FEDEXCC and went there and he loved it. he learned the system and hook up with agent who like him and kept him moving. you have to learn the system. they have a lot of great programs to. they are different, you need a laptop , so you can look at things and plan. one thing he did his wife was at home keeping track of where he was and what loads that were coming up that he could handle and calling agent, etc.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I hear there is not much work for the sprinters right now. Straight trucks is your best bet.
Agree 100 percent, I’m in a sprinter and most of my loads this year have been loads posted for straight trucks. Those have been from Ranger and Inway.
Looks like we’re down to 40 or so cargo vans.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since at Landstar you don't get deadhead pay and relocation pay, you have to figure out the deadhead before and after the load, and see if it is worth it to accept the load at the offered pay. It will take some time to figure this out.

There’s other things to take into consideration when chosing a company. Do they allow you to take time off when you want or even work when you want. FSC is another, do they allow you to go where you want or do they force you to take loads.
One thing about Landstar comes down to the fact we have no centralized dispatch, we have agents.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know a guy with almost 20 years at Ryder that lost his job for a cell phone. No ticket, someone called and reported him. He admitted he was on it and they fired him with no option to come back. They have a zero tolerance for cell phones. He said I figured I'd be honest and get wrote up. Cell phones and seat belt tickets are tough and could end up on your DAC report and hurt future employment. Hated seat belts when it became law now I cant pull out without it on. My GTO has a lap belt and I'm always reaching to my left for the shoulder harness. I rarely buckle the lap belt not sure why, I just don't. Have your dad check his DAC in 6 months or so and see if it's on there, or ask the fed if they reported it.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Landstar has almost have gotten out of the Sprinter and Cargo van freight business.Agents like to put 1 0r 2 plates on a str8 truck and pass us up.There so much turn over in the agents offices dispatcher are often young girls that only know that they told, I have to call on any load that that fits my weight limits, and have to spend my time explaining what kind of equipment I drive. Most of the time I tell them I'm with Express America they don't know we on the same team.Then they tell me they have to call and see if the load still available( in other words its a bid load). So we can seat and wait for the phone to ring,or you can do as I do seat and make phone calls on loads that often require 4/500 mile dead head.For a company that does 2 Billon a year seems to me they let time do away with the single driver,teams seem to fair a little better but they complain to.I believe the only one left at the end well be the Homeless type that don't have a home other than the truckstop coffee shop they seat in all day, and the truck they sleep in at night.P.S. I don't have a Go Fund Me site yet.... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Reactions: hdxpedx

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder what the strategy is behind that mindset of putting 1-2 skids on ST’s and bypassing Sprinter’s.
Would it be to keep their rates up?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Perhaps 1-2 skids on a straight truck strategy is to accommodate a customer that only loads dock high or, each skid was 2000# or, requires a CDL holding driver or, a team was required or, a CDL endorsement was required or, TWIC was required.

Reactions: Greg