Just started, questions about van life (Ram Promaster 2500)

Alec McDaniel

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Hey guys, I have been expediting for V3 Transportation for about 2 weeks now, I really enjoy driving across the country and actually like living in a van. I am working for a fleet owner and basically received a barebones 2018 Ram Promaster 2500, it was brand new when I started and a quite like it. I have a few questions that maybe you all can answer for me.

1. It is starting to get cold at night and I am looking for answers on how to heat the bunk/cargo area, right now I just wrap up in blankets and hope I can still feel my feet in the morning, not something I want to keep doing. I have seen some people insulate the cargo area, I am interested in information on that and possibly a feasible heater system.

2. I bought a small little power inverter (400watt) and hooked it to the battery to charge my laptop, but I am scared to death to turn the inverter on when I am not idling the van, I have no idea how long it would last and what the safe drain amount on the battery is. I plan on eventually running some other appliances, such as a fridge and microwave. Is there any kind of backup battery system that you can use other than just getting a generator?

I am sure I will come up with some more questions after I post this and I will continue to do research online, but for now these are the two most important issues I am having at the moment.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, so the whole blanket thing is not going to work very much longer. Temps are going to start dropping quickly. Get in tune to watching temperatures closely; for a wide variety of reasons.

Can you survive in a bare bones van? Sure, with the proper gear you can ... but it's not very comfortable. Proper gear is much more than a few blankets. You better start watching some stuff about camping in Alaska during winter. I wouldn't recommend this option.

Your fleet owner is sending you out in a vehicle that is not adequately outfitted. I believe it's his responsibility to do so. Why should you be investing money to set up his vehicle?

For guys that are working with larger carriers:

Whose responsibility is it to outfit the vehicle?

What happens in these situations? Can a fleet owner get in hot water from the carrier for sending guys out like this?

Is there anything in the fleet owner/carrier agreement that specifies how vehicles are to be set up?

What recourse does this dude have?

Alec, there's a ton of info on EO. Keep reading .....

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depending on who's paying for fuel (and if the van will idle without shutting off after awhile) , how about just buying a couple (yes 2 just in case 1 is defective) carbon monoxide detectors and just idle when sleeping?

Doing the above means you use your inverter without worry ...compute away!

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depending on who's paying for fuel (and if the van will idle without shutting off after awhile) , how about just buying a couple (yes 2 just in case 1 is defective) carbon monoxide detectors and just idle when sleeping?

Doing the above means you use your inverter without worry ...compute away!

Have you ever slept in a van during winter? One that's not insulated? Idling isn't going to cut it.

Please stick to things you know. Like circumnavigating every rule in the book. You'd put one of your driver's in this situation, wouldn't you?

Reactions: Ragman

Alec McDaniel

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Btw ... what's the current sleep setup? What are you sleeping on?

The fleet owner I am working with is brand new to the game and just went out and got a van, he said himself he doesn't really know how to do anything yet, just getting the direct deposit setup was a bit of a hassle but it is all good now. He bought me a mattress and some pillows/bankets and for a few days I was just sleeping on the floor but quickly realized that wasn't going to work. I bought a folding bed frame thing on amazon and it just barely fits sideways in the van, quite a nice fit actually, so now my mattress is on top of that and is pretty comfortable and can easily be folded up and strapped to a wall if I needed to fit 3 pallets.

Alec McDaniel

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Ok, so the whole blanket thing is not going to work very much longer. Temps are going to start dropping quickly. Get in tune to watching temperatures closely; for a wide variety of reasons.

Can you survive in a bare bones van? Sure, with the proper gear you can ... but it's not very comfortable. Proper gear is much more than a few blankets. You better start watching some stuff about camping in Alaska during winter. I wouldn't recommend this option.

Your fleet owner is sending you out in a vehicle that is not adequately outfitted. I believe it's his responsibility to do so. Why should you be investing money to set up his vehicle?

What happens in these situations? Can a fleet owner get in hot water from the carrier for sending guys out like this?

Is there anything in the fleet owner/carrier agreement that specifies how vehicles are to be set up?

Since I am new to the game and so is he, there wasn't a whole lot of information to go around regarding what to do with the van, the only thing he did was put wood on the floor and have some strap hooks setup so I can secure cargo. There doesn't seem to be anything in the contract regarding the fleet owners responsibility when it comes to properly equipping the van. The company that gives me loads is also pretty small and rather new, but they do seem to have the freight, in the right areas of course. I did meet another V3 driver out on the road, we had a pickup at the same place and he was an owner of his own van. He took a look at mine and said I was crazy for not having my van insulated, which is what sparked this concern. I am pretty sure if I had a talk with my fleet owner he would agree and help me get the van setup properly, but I can tell he is worried about return profit and said he is "testing the waters" so not really sure what he thinks yet. All I know is, if I don't get this taken care of there is going to be some issues for sure.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You've got to have the van insulated. It would be miserable, if not dangerous, to not do so. The van owner should do that as it is part of equipping the van and will stay with the van after you move on. There are many good threads on setting up vans on here. Good luck.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Since I am new to the game and so is he, there wasn't a whole lot of information to go around regarding what to do with the van, the only thing he did was put wood on the floor and have some strap hooks setup so I can secure cargo. There doesn't seem to be anything in the contract regarding the fleet owners responsibility when it comes to properly equipping the van. The company that gives me loads is also pretty small and rather new, but they do seem to have the freight, in the right areas of course. I did meet another V3 driver out on the road, we had a pickup at the same place and he was an owner of his own van. He took a look at mine and said I was crazy for not having my van insulated, which is what sparked this concern. I am pretty sure if I had a talk with my fleet owner he would agree and help me get the van setup properly, but I can tell he is worried about return profit and said he is "testing the waters" so not really sure what he thinks yet. All I know is, if I don't get this taken care of there is going to be some issues for sure.

I was referring to the contract between the fleet owner and the carrier. The question was directed towards other operators.

LDB's comment about it being a dangerous situation is real. We're all worried about profit margins, so here's a few more thoughts ...

Your van should be insulated, heated (espar or whatever) and a fantastic fan would be nice. It's a safety issue.

It's also a financial issue. You will make more money for your fleet owner being comfortable. You'll be better rested. You won't be restricted from going to areas with low wind chills. Got a load going up to Duluth, MN ... oh wait the temps will be -20F overnight, can't take it .... that's not gonna work.

One last point, you simply don't make enough $ to suffer through it. Guys that are owner ops, that's a different story. They own the vehicle, have more at stake .. they can decide their own fate. If you work for someone else, it's up to them to provide you with the tools to perform the job.

Try to get it done asap.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, I’m definitely going to sound like the odd duck here.

All I have is plywood on my floor and I’m laying the mattress on the floor. Zero insulation in my van.

You have multiple options.
First, go to a military surplus, get a hardcore sleeping bag that covers your entire body, including your head. If you don’t like sleeping like that, wear something on your head at night. It’s shocking how warm you stay when your head is well insulated. This will work with no power.

Another option, electric blanket. Put one under whatever you’re sleeping on. Personally, I’d want a second battery and a 750w inverter. Electric blankets do not require a lot of power, and decent inverters will shut off before completely draining your battery, but I still would prefer a second battery before shutting off the engine, and using it all night.

Lastly, the air insulation. Notice the floor is way colder than the air in your van?. Try getting a fold up cot, and get off the floor. If only a few inches of air between the floor and your mattress stops the mattress from absorbing all the cold.

You’re going to wake up in a cold van. It’s winter time. That’s not changing, but exercising these ideas, and you will get a warm night’s sleep with the engine off.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not so fast ....
First things first. Do you own your van or drive for someone else?

I own my van.

But I did drive for someone else before I went O/O. I had my back against a wall, really needed the job. I could sleep without the vehicle idling until the teens and single didgets, in which I idled the van all night. Minus degrees outside, I called the owner, and got a room, which the owner paid 1/2 of. It was a crappy deal, but I made money, and saved money, and with experience got through it and learned.

I really am doing the same thing as an owner op. I run out around $15 in fuel idling the vehicle. If I invested in a generator I’d still be burning $6 per night in fuel. If I can get a room for $40-$50 on those coldest nights, I write it off because I’m getting out of the van, lol.

Last edited:

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sleeping with your head in the sleeping bag is a big no no. The bag gets all the moisture from you breathing, cools, then freezes, not good! Generators are not a good source for heating, but if that’s your thing, it’s better then wearing out the engine. Espar type heater, will pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time. Propane is doable with the right setup. Motels in some parts of the country are not cheep and not really convenient. Lots of info to absorb, relative to different budgets, on here. Good luck, stay safe!

Reactions: ntimevan

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not so fast ....
First things first. Do you own your van or drive for someone else?

I own my van.

But I did drive for someone else before I went O/O. I had my back against a wall, really needed the job. I could sleep without the vehicle idling until the teens and single didgets, in which I idled the van all night. Minus degrees outside, I called the owner, and got a room, which the owner paid 1/2 of. It was a crappy deal, but I made money, and saved money, and with experience got through it and learned.

I really am doing the same thing as an owner op. I run out around $15 in fuel idling the vehicle. If I invested in a generator I’d still be burning $6 per night in fuel. If I can get a room for $40-$50 on those coldest nights, I write it off because I’m getting out of the van, lol.

Yeah, for me the deciding factor is van ownership. If you're an owner op, do whatever you want. But if you're working for someone else, it's seriously not worth it!

My van isn't insulated either ... :D:rolleyes:o_O

My Sprinter has been a stripped down cargo van since day one. I've kept it bare bones for a few different reasons.

Engine idling with a diesel Sprinter is a big no-no. I've gone though a few different set-ups. I carry much less gear now than when I started. I keep it light, warm and compact. There have been some memorably uncomfortable nights here and there.

Reactions: Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol, a friend started before me, neither the driver, my friend, nor the owner, knew anything about DEF. So, you could imagine a diesel sprinter van running for 2 months straight in the winter without once putting DEF in, and idling most nights. Yea, you can imagine how victorious that was.

I’m considering investing in a harbor freight “imitation Honda” generator. I don’t like idling my gasser all night that often.

I’m not that knowledgeable about camping, I had bought a sleeping bag that came up to my shoulders, so my head froze. I would throw my winter jacket over my head to stay warm. So, yea, mummy style, lol.

I 100% agree, a fleet owner should be knowledgeable about the business, and prepare the driver for what’s ahead. That said, it’s often not like that.

Reactions: RoadTime

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol, a friend started before me, neither the driver, my friend, nor the owner, knew anything about DEF. So, you could imagine a diesel sprinter van running for 2 months straight in the winter without once putting DEF in, and idling most nights. Yea, you can imagine how victorious that was.

I’m considering investing in a harbor freight “imitation Honda” generator. I don’t like idling my gasser all night that often.

I’m not that knowledgeable about camping, I had bought a sleeping bag that came up to my shoulders, so my head froze. I would throw my winter jacket over my head to stay warm. So, yea, mummy style, lol.

I 100% agree, a fleet owner should be knowledgeable about the business, and prepare the driver for what’s ahead. That said, it’s often not like that.

Whatever heating or cooling you put in your van isn't going to matter unless it's insulated. That's gotta come first.
Moot provided a great link ...... read, read ... and then read some more ..

Reactions: Solar

Alec McDaniel

Rookie Expediter
Driver
I ended up talking to another fleet owner that owns like 30 vans and he told me what to do, me and my fleet owner went to Home Depot and got a bunch of stuff, here is the end result. I know there will be some people that are going to tell me that this is incorrect or find something wrong with it but I trusted this guy since he has experience so I hope it will work. I did some minor testing and it does seem to hold heat pretty well. There is pink fiberglass insulation up against the wall and then it is covered with Reflectix and secured with wooden boards. As you can see, I ran out of Reflectix for the roof so I have to get some more but there you go.

M6kwqLg.jpg