Black out curtains help

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just glanced through Walmart curtains about a week ago, and thought I had a handle on the situation. Just buy a curtain that said “Blackout” on it.

Today, walking through Menards, I saw the curtain isle, and walked through it just to compare prices. They had 5 different levels of Blackout Curtains. Movie Theater Grade was, I think, their most extreme Blackout curtains.

They wasn’t terribly expensive, but it made me wonder, do I really need this hardcore of blackout curtains? Should I get the Extreme ones for the front, but the back curtains not so extreme, that I’m installing just so I won’t have to look at freight?

Or should I go hardcore all the way around?

It’s not that much of an investment difference, but it would cost more.

Also, best way of mounting them in a van?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. When I first started I bought cab curtains at a truck stop. Designed for a tractor, they worked great in the van. Had hooks to hang over the sun visor pivot posts and other places.

But being black, they do draw the heat in the summer.

Eventually I went with the 7-layer thermal material that was developed by an Italian company for NASA to insulate the Mars Rovers. The same material also insulates satellites and sections of the ISS. It provides privacy, sure, but also thermal insulation in summer and winter. In the case of the Promaster, the same thing will be available Oct 8th. It's almost certainly not as cheap as cab or blackout curtains, but it's a bargain at twice the price. I even bought one of the uncut DIY kits, as well, and insulated the roof slope above the headliner, and I have a piece that blocks the hot air of the Espar output from toasting my stored rechargeable batteries, external hard drives, and other heat sensitive electronics.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've got black insulated curtains from Walmart and there in front of the bed and behind the bed. Not only for privacy but also for insulation "keeping the heat and cool in a confined area"

Reactions: Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dunno. When I first started I bought cab curtains at a truck stop. Designed for a tractor, they worked great in the van. Had hooks to hang over the sun visor pivot posts and other places.

But being black, they do draw the heat in the summer.

Eventually I went with the 7-layer thermal material that was developed by an Italian company for NASA to insulate the Mars Rovers. The same material also insulates satellites and sections of the ISS. It provides privacy, sure, but also thermal insulation in summer and winter. In the case of the Promaster, the same thing will be available Oct 8th. It's almost certainly not as cheap as cab or blackout curtains, but it's a bargain at twice the price. I even bought one of the uncut DIY kits, as well, and insulated the roof slope above the headliner, and I have a piece that blocks the hot air of the Espar output from toasting my stored rechargeable batteries, external hard drives, and other heat sensitive electronics.

Holy Guacamole!
You went NASA on me.

That’s some nice info.
I most certainly will be looking into this.

I don’t have any other heating or cooling source except the vehicle itself. I don’t know how wise it would be to put something so insulating between the cab and my bed.

Reactions: Turtle

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've bought reflectix in Home Depot. Cut to the length of the window and held by visors, it blocks 100% of the sun, keeps most of the heat from going to the windows and keeps 100% of eyes away from my van. Side windows are also cutouts of the reflectix (bit oversized to pop in place). $41 for a roll in the store.
20181016_055340.jpg

The curtains between a cab and sleeper are modified Ikea blackout curtains from As-Is isle. For those days when I don't feel like putting reflectix up, or when I don't want people (ahhhm, pesky southern border patrol) looking into my sleeping compartment. $5

Back wall is built in sleeper. View from cargo area. 20181016_060322.jpg

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I also used the reflectix for my front windshield on my last van for years.
I had extra left over from doing the inside of the van.
Turned out to work pretty nice

Now I'm using the non-NASA heat shields for all windows until I upgrade next summer.
I like them much more then I thought I would. Just wish I would have got the NASA ones to start.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app