Cargo Van Hometime

chuckthompson

New Recruit
Researching
Long time lurker, first time poster...

First a little background...got my class A CDL in 1994...drove the big rigs for 15 years (until 2009)...12 of those as an owner/operator...in '09 I decided to try something new and unfortunately let my license expire about 8 yrs ago.

Now at age 53, the wife and I are thinking about team driving a cargo van. The benefits to us include no CDL, no logs, no scales, etc. We're trying to avoid anything requiring a CDL at the moment...maybe later.

Anyway, my question is about home time. We would prefer to run an average 10 days out, 4 days home in a two week period...we really need to be around the house every other weekend.

...is this feasible for cargo van expediting?
...if so, are there any places that you are aware of that will work with this kind of schedule?
...would if be better to purchase a cargo van immediately (since an owner can pretty much make his own decisions regarding dead-head, etc)?
...or run a few months for someone else first?

FYI, we are located in central Kentucky about an hour south of Louisville right off I-65.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
10 days out and 4 days home in two weeks, NO! Most expedite companies if not all wants you to stay out minimum 3 weeks and then home a week. You need to stay out 4 to 5 weeks at least. Too many Van's in the market!

If you really want to be out here in a van and with your schedule then you need to own a van but it will be hard for you to make it. Most if all Fleetowners will not hire you with needing that kind of schedule.

Sounds like you need to run local/ Courier. That would be best for you.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, that schedule isn't gonna work. I stay out between 4-8 weeks at a time.

Should you buy something immediately? Absolutely not! Not in this saturated market. All those "benefits" you mentioned are exactly why any Tom, Dick, Harry and a few Viktors buy a van. If you still want to proceed with this endeavor, drive for someone else for 6-12 mo. Although I don't even want to imagine what your take home will be.

If it's you and your wife, you're well suited for where the money is ... get into a straight truck as a team.

Reactions: RoadTime

chuckthompson

New Recruit
Researching
If it's you and your wife, you're well suited for where the money is ... get into a straight truck as a team.

So you're saying the 'best' income for husband and wife teams is in straight truck expediting? ...how about class A CDL driving for teams (non-expedite)...any money to be made there?

From my past experience, I would guess home time for non-expedite, class A drivers would probably be the best overall...is this a correct assumption?

Thanks again

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where you live, you might be able to get close that kind of schedule. For sure there will limits, that might make it hard to be profitable. Your own van, (long and tall) and a larger or the right small carrier, look at all the overhead cost real close. The van market is crazy, loads to van ratio is nuts. The advantage of being able to run as a legitimate team, is why I say maby.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
As the others said, that schedule wouldn’t work unless you lived in the heart of freight distribution.

The need to be home and expedite does not mix.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So you're saying the 'best' income for husband and wife teams is in straight truck expediting? ...how about class A CDL driving for teams (non-expedite)...any money to be made there?

From my past experience, I would guess home time for non-expedite, class A drivers would probably be the best overall...is this a correct assumption?

Thanks again
Expedited freight? I can chime in ...
I am not a career planner ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mmmm, Mike Linnig's for dinner. Oops, sidetracked. The problem with your 10/4 schedule is where will you be at the end of the 10 and how far will you have to deadhead to get home. Also, that's very heavy on the home time. More commonly you'd see more like an 18/3 with once in a while a 17/4 sort of schedule.

Starting off you'd probably be better driving for an owner for at least a few months. It will give you less flexibility but will let you learn the company and the best areas and determine if you truly want to do this or not. If yes, you can buy your own van after a few months. If no, you can turn in the van and go on with life.

Reactions: dalscott

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Zaxby's is good. I like Cain's a little better and it's only a couple miles away. I'd much rather go to Mike Linnig's but 1007.3 miles is too far for lunch.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Long time lurker, first time poster...

...is this feasible for cargo van expediting? :)

It can be done. But to get there, you've got to earn the trusting relationship with your carrier. Which takes time and effort on your part. Also, most importantly and a must, the great work ethics.

Reactions: NorthernBill