Sprinter/Transit/Promaster window insulation set

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have the same thing. It's great. It's the same exact layered material that insulates the Mars Rovers, many satellites, portions of the Space Station and other things NASA.

I also ordered an uncut sheet of it and cut a piece to insulate the roof slope above the headliner to eliminate condensation up there. Where the passenger seat used to be I have a wooden desk thingy, and I have a shelf that opens to the rear where I have a USB hub, store external hard drives, Eneloops, 18650 and CR123 batteries, a few other things. I cut a piece of the insulation to cover the back of desk because the Espar blows right into it otherwise.

If it was remotely affordable, and it's not, I'd have bought enough sheets to insulate the entire van instead of using Reflectix.

A tip... Moisture helps the suction cups stick. Wiping them with a moist towelette is probably best to do that. Second best is to lick your fingers and then wipe the cups with spittle. Third best is to just lick the cups outright. I've never done that last one. The second one is my go-to. But since the area of the window where the suction cups sticks, and the cups themselves need to be very clean and free of any gunky buildup, I do the first option fairly often.

On a hot, sunny day, if you park the van so the window is facing into the afternoon sun, the van will stay appreciably cooler than if the sun bakes the side or rear of the van all afternoon.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The window wrap is also good. Certainly better to not let the heat into the van through the windshield in the first place.

I went with the NASA option because... NASA. And the fact that if I had the window wrap, every load I'd get would require me to exit the van in a hurricane in order to remove the wrap.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And the fact that if I had the window wrap, every load I'd get would require me to exit the van in a hurricane in order to remove the wrap.

That plus the inevitable bird strikes, covered with rain, etc. as well. The NASA option doesn't require the cleaning prior to stowage either.

Reactions: Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went with the NASA option because... NASA. And the fact that if I had the window wrap, every load I'd get would require me to exit the van in a hurricane in order to remove the wrap.

Takes about 30 seconds to put up or take down, except for the first time to figure it out. I'll give up 30 seconds for the cooling comfort and screened windows. I hate bugs ;)

That plus the inevitable bird strikes, covered with rain, etc. as well. The NASA option doesn't require the cleaning prior to stowage either.

I've been hit by bird strikes twice in the last 4-5 years. I don't park under trees anymore ;)

Rain covered hasn't been much of a problem, the tent like material, repels water. Quick shake, or wipe off, and it's normally dry by the time I get to shipper. Self cleaning for the rare bird strike with rain, or window cleaner. Although, taking in down in rain (rare) but not as much fun :rolleyes:

Sometimes, I'll take it down if a lot of rain is coming.

Even with it's minor inconveniences, I still love it.

What I didn't love was the price, currently $133 :rolleyes:

I think I paid around $150 for mine. One of those things that hard to see the value in until you use it. But with that said, I don't like the new design they did. For the screen window option ones, they went from a roll up window cover flap (which I have and like) to a removable window cover. That would add another 10-15 seconds :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A tip... Moisture helps the suction cups stick.
Can the suction cups be permanently removed without destroying the insulation?
Yeah. If you look closely (zoom in) at the "quilted" picture above, you can see the metal grommets where the suction cups go. There's like a little nubby nubbin thing that you push through the grommet hole to secure the suction cup to the insulation. Reverse the process to remove the cups. You can buy a replacement set of cups (and 2-piece plastic grommets) from the same site.

Suction Cups.PNG

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I goofed and ordered the non-NASA ones from eurocampers by mistake.. There alright, but haven't been put to a extreme heat test yet. They also don't fit the side windows as good as they should leaving some small open gaps. They will do for now, but will be planning on getting the NASA ones later

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Incidentally, speaking of NASA, the Oregon Aero Soft Seat seat-base and full-back cushions that I use, it's made of the foam (Comfor Foam) that was developed for the Apollo program for the seats, to protect the astronauts, their spine especially, from hard landings, and to keep them comfortable while sitting for long periods of time in the seat. The same foam is still used in astronaut seating for all manned launches around the world.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Incidentally, speaking of NASA, the Oregon Aero Soft Seat seat-base and full-back cushions that I use, it's made of the foam (Comfor Foam) that was developed for the Apollo program for the seats, to protect the astronauts, their spine especially, from hard landings, and to keep them comfortable while sitting for long periods of time in the seat. They same foam is still used in astronaut seating for all manned launches around the world.
c327a4ce7b66f5c9abbbbc1b7ff35d4e.jpg

guido4475

Not a Member
Incidentally, speaking of NASA, the Oregon Aero Soft Seat seat-base and full-back cushions that I use, it's made of the foam (Comfor Foam) that was developed for the Apollo program for the seats, to protect the astronauts, their spine especially, from hard landings, and to keep them comfortable while sitting for long periods of time in the seat. They same foam is still used in astronaut seating for all manned launches around the world.

Mine is 7 years old, and still giving plenty of support to my plump azz.

Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought an Oregon Aero with the zip on lumbar back about 10 years ago. Over time the cushion became compressed and hard. When I bought my Transit I unzipped the lumbar thing because my Transit has a 10-way power seat with lumbar support, aaahhh. About a year ago I found a $25 dollar seat cushion at Costco. I pulled the hard flattened foam out of the Oregon cover and inserted the whole Costco seat cushion. A perfect fit. The Costco cushion has a thin covering while the Oregon covering is heavy duty and nice looking.
oregon-seat-1-jpg.14699

oregon-seat-2-jpg.14700