Big Truck No Exp, new career in Straight Trucks

Joe Pitroliere

New Recruit
Researching
Hello , I'm looking into starting a new career in driving straight trucks as a Solo driver I'm 56 , have a Class A CDL but have no real exp with it always liked the Straight Trucks Thank you for any advice n help

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why no exp with a class A ?
I have Class A, no restriction, with no real experience.

There is a place that charges $650 to teach you how to pass the driving test, sets up the test, and let’s you use the vehicle and trailer for the test. It all happens same day.

I figured for less than $1,000 I had invested in myself, and had given myself job options I didn’t have before.

All that said, I believe that the majority of straight truck expedite is team only, because of the hours of service. A solo driver is stuck on jobs 500 miles or less only. With a team, the vehicle can move anytime.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’m just saying in the choice between Showboat or Van Camp pork and beans, it’s Van Camp, the less popular choice.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why no exp with a class A ?
I have Class A, no restriction, with no real experience.

There is a place that charges $650 to teach you how to pass the driving test, sets up the test, and let’s you use the vehicle and trailer for the test. It all happens same day.

I figured for less than $1,000 I had invested in myself, and had given myself job options I didn’t have before.

All that said, I believe that the majority of straight truck expedite is team only, because of the hours of service. A solo driver is stuck on jobs 500 miles or less only. With a team, the vehicle can move anytime.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’m just saying in the choice between Showboat or Van Camp pork and beans, it’s Van Camp, the less popular choice.

Biggest thing with straight trucks / big trucks is watch the heights !! ..... Ask me how I know ;-(

All we do is Solo Straights (no sleeper to boot !) so it can be done .... ;-)

Truckster1036

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a question fellas when you have a straight truck and you sign on with a expedite company and say the company offers you .80cents a loaded mile what they are doing is getting a higher paid mile from a shipper or freight brokers and taking off there cut and giving you the 80 cents agreed upon.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a question fellas when you have a straight truck and you sign on with a expedite company and say the company offers you .80cents a loaded mile what they are doing is getting a higher paid mile from a shipper or freight brokers and taking off there cut and giving you the 80 cents agreed upon.
Yes, that's how it works...

Reactions: Solar

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes but please tell me you are getting MORE than $.80 per mile.

Reactions: Ragman