The Trump Card...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Rosenstein headed to the Whitehouse. Reportedly he's expecting to be fired.
I'd be surprised if he wasn't fired at this point.
He reportedly handed in his resignation to COS John Kelly in the expectation of being fired.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Trump's in NY at the UN, so now Trump and Rosenstein will meet in Thursday to discuss things.

Thursday is a good day, because that's probably gonna be a slow news day. :D

Rod Rosenstein thinks he's Obi Wan Kenobi. "You can't win, TrumpVader. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. I'll write a book."

Reactions: RoadTime and davekc

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I hope Trump doesn't take the bait and fire Rosenstein. It will be used politically against Trump for the mid terms. Maybe reassign him after that. This looks like a setup. McCabe supposedly had these memos, where supposedly Rosenstein was serious about wearing a wire. McCabe had that information for over a year yet didn't report it and only gave it to the SC until AFTER he was fired. NOW it was leaked? Qui bono : The Deep State characters out to undermine this Administration.
Here is my take on Rosenstein. He is not Deep State. He has been duped by them at times and pressured other times. He's someone they think they can roll. Like appointing a SC to appease (at the time ) acting FBI Director McCabe. Having him as acting AG has been a disservice because he so easily folded and named a SC, which has been a major distraction and has undermined the first two years of Trump's presidency.
But now for Trump, he just needs to heed the advice of his advisors and don't give the Dems and the Deep State fuel for the political fodder.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'll be surprised if Trump fires Rosenstein. They apparently had a lengthy phone conversation today, and they'll talk it out on Thursday.

Even if he does fire him, much to the chagrin of NYT and WaPo the White House nor the Justice Department will be in "turmoil" (the latest IT word they are overusing for dramatic effect). It's not like the first baseman goes down with an injury and suddenly the team is in turmoil. You just put someone else in to play first base. Everything at the DOJ and with Mueller will continue just as before

Reactions: billg27 and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I heard Gregg Jarrett, who has been calling for Rosenstein to be fired for months, that maybe Trump should hold off firing or instead relieve him of his oversight duties pertaining to the SC until a complete investigation is done regarding the talk about wearing a wire while with the President and gathering support for invoking the 25th amendment plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dn0ff-DXgAU1Yfi.jpg

Despite being spot-on, the Indystar apologized for this cartoon, because it offended, deeply, oh, so many people. Can't make fun of anyone for anything if they're a victim of sexual assault.

Reactions: davekc and muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Has the cartoonist lost his job yet?:rolleyes:
LOL No. The cartoonist, Gary Varvel, does almost exclusively conservative cartoons. Ronnie Ramos, the executive editor of the newspaper, has to pretty regularly apologize for Varvel's cartoons.

He had to apologize for this one, too. :D

Varvelcartoon.jpg

This one cracks me up.

237313_image.jpg

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Rosenstein holds at least until after the elections. Will be interesting to see what happens but I agree, if he goes, little will change. They have several to take his spot.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Watching Trump on tv at his rally in Florida.
Trump can be crass at times.
But one thing about Trump, he's a good promoter of people that are in his presence. He usually says how great they are. Showers them with compliments. Former FSU coach Bobby Bowden came on stage and said a few words. While he was exiting the stage, Trump grabbed his hand and held it up so people could see his ring. He then says (to the audience) "You see this? This is a National Championship". You could tell Bowden was beaming about that.

Reactions: davekc and Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's amazing how hostility surrounds everything Trump does. The Romanesque mob that supports him loves that the most. His in your face attitude.
Trump can't have a simple press conference or post a tweet about wild fires in CA ... without being a horses ass.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No I.D. required.....
Cnv3GcHWAAAfq-j.jpg

Reactions: Solar

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With all 2018 federal elections now certified (except NC Dist. 9) and with recent legal developments, additional facts have emerged that support my belief, previously stated in this forum, that the Republicans who have the power to do so will vote to impeach Trump.

1. In the election, the Republicans kept the Senate with a net gain of two seats. The Democrats took the House with a net gain of 40 seats.

2. With the House and its subpoena power soon to be in Democratic hands, all barriers to House investigatory and impeachment action have been removed. When the next class of Representatives is seated in a few weeks, the House can impeach Trump at will.

3. This assumes legitimate cause for impeachment exists. I believe it does and greater cause will be established as multiple investigations and lawsuits proceed.

4. As this happens and as the House committees move where blocking actions prevailed before, Trump’s legal exposure will increase and his political value to Senate Republicans will consequently decline.

5. A tipping point will be reached. Acting in their own self-interests, a sufficient number of Senate Republicans will rise to join Senate Democrats in impeaching Trump.

6. It is worth noting that while Trump has been able to delay or cloud various investigations and lawsuits so far, none of these have ceased. Indeed, witnesses are talking, convictions are being obtained, Trump associates are being sent to jail, evidence is being revealed and legal filings are referring to additional investigation work now underway.

7. Trump’s lawyers, court responses, rallies, interviews, tweets and Attorney General changes have proven ineffective in stopping the investigations and important lawsuits. Indeed, as various documents are filed, legal momentum against Trump is accelerating.

8. As the investigations and lawsuits produce more evidence and more rulings unfavorable to Trump (as I believe they will), the public response will compel enough Senate Republicans to conclude that Trump is indeed guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors, and the country will be better served by President Pence.

If you’ve read this far, I thank you for your consideration. Allow me to admit I made my impeachment prediction early in Trump’s first term, thinking (to myself) impeachment would happen before the 2018 midterm elections.

I noted how easily the Republicans who opposed Trump in 2016 came around to support him. I presumed they would just as easily flip to oppose him as Trump’s narcissism, contentious demeanor, conflicts of interest and crimes became better known. I was wrong about the speed at which this would happen but remain convinced that impeachment will happen.

As I said above, Trump has been ineffective in stopping the investigations and pertinent lawsuits. After January 3, the ONLY thing keeping him from being impeached is the opinions of 20 Republican senators. (47 D + 20 R = 67 votes; the two-thirds majority required for impeachment).

Once again, the Republicans who have the power to do so will vote to impeach Trump. As the investigations and lawsuits proceed, keep your eye on the Senate Republicans. Watch as the impeachment-favorable number grows to 20.

When that happens, if not before, the House will initiate impeachment action. Democratic political professionals may suggest it is better to keep a weakened Trump in office so a Democrat can win the White House in 2020. I think that argument will be lost on the grass roots. There was a huge turnout of anti-Trump voters in 2018. When the opportunity to impeach presents itself, they will be disinclined to buy into a nuanced political strategy. They will want instead to impeach Trump immediately and they will put intense pressure on their elected officials to so act.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I'm old enough to remember that trying to control bimbo eruptions was political strategy and not considered to be a crime.