Hey guys, newbie here and had some questions about Expediting.

Mary G Jones

New Recruit
Hey everyone. I'm completely new to trucking in general and had a few questions. I'll try to explain my situation as best I can and definitely appreciate any insight anyone can give me on the situation.

My original plan was to go to Prime Inc. and just be a solo OTR driver, get my first year out of the way and experience under my belt and head somewhere else. Recently, a friend's mom introduced me to the concept of expediting (or hot shot runs she calls them) and said I should just get a Class B license and come team drive with her in a straight truck.

She has a Class A CDL since 1989 and used to team drive with her husband before he passed away. Right now, I've gotten my Class B Permit and am looking for rent an air brake box truck from one of the rental companies just to get the feel for air brakes and to have something to take the actual CDL driving test with.

She's been out of the game for about 10 years now and I believe a lot has changed. She's older and I think trucking may have changed a bit since she was driving. Right now, her plans are to lease a newer Straight Truck with a sleeper and have us team drive. She's looking at Bolt, Panther and a few others.

At first, i thought I'd just be driving for her, as just an employee, but she's going to split everything with me straight down the middle. The lease, fuel, etc... all split. She's believing we're going to be bringing in somewhere around the $1300/week mark after expenses are taken out. I've been researching this but pay seems to be so random I can't really get a bearing on if this is pay from a better time for trucking or this is at least in the correct ball park.

I'm very grateful for her taking me under her wing and giving me the opportunity to better myself and learn a new trade (I'm in retail and make about $500 a week). So as you can see this would be a major pay increase for me, if accurate. Part of me, though, is a bit scared that I'll be getting into something where I've read many accounts of people going under and not even being able to pay the lease because of no loads, or bad dispatching, etc...

Also, do you guys have any recommendations on who to lease through? Maybe which companies are good for expediters this day in age?

Any help or knowledge would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If she has not driven in 10 years, she mite not be able to drive with you as a beginner. Need to find out from the carriers you guys are looking at. Next you should drive for someone for 6 months before you sign a lease for a new/newer truck. You can try a fleet owner on this site or Expediter Services they are on this site also. I drove for Expediter services for a year, new equipment, never a problem with my pay, if the truck needed anything you just call them up and get the OK to bring it in. Pay is hard because it will fluctuate every week. If you work for ES for you will get 20% and your co driver will get 20% of the load, plus some extra with different carriers that they work with. One other important thing to think about. Can you live with this person 3-4 weeks in a row, in a truck?? That’s why I tell people to go to ES for 6 months see if they like the road and there co driver.

Reactions: terryandrene

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Driving for a living is like a Oscar Wilde saying, “There are only 2 tragedies in life. Never getting what you want, and getting what you want.”

I’ve driven alone, and it could get really lonely at times. I’ve driven as a team and I wished I was lonely at times.

Prime is a decent company, and they will get you your class A, get you experience, and you should be able to save some $, so one year from this moment, you will have the experience and option to do basically whatever you want.

Stick with the B team thing and your guess is as good as mine.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey everyone. I'm completely new to trucking in general ........
Seeing that you're new to trucking, you've got to remember, trucking is a lifestyle not everybody can adjust to.

Drive for an owner first to see if you even enjoy the lifestyle before investing thousands of dollars on a machine you may not be able to ever use.

Reactions: MaxWellSmart

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nope.
But unless you know a good owner with patience, I think they’re the best game in town.
They’re trainers, so they’re patient
They don’t take advantage of the unknowing.
They offer a lot of opportunities.

I used to hate those Red Trucks.,
Until I saw how many people they’ve helped.

Plus being retired, I don’t get nervous when I see 3 of them pulled in a Truckstop.

Reactions: Grizzly

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I would look for someone with more recent experience in my opinion. But it could work out.

It depends on the type of lease. If it's a weekly payment and you can cancel at anytime then it's not so much of a commitment. But if it's a year or 6 month lease I would stay away. Fact is you never drove otr before, you don't know if you will like it. It's a way different lifestyle.

Now if you both knew what you were doing it would be a different story. Splitting all the costs and profits I think would be a good way to go. You're both equally invested in all the liabilities and the profits, versus running as a 1099 and getting only the profits left over after the fleet owner makes a comfortable profit after liabilities and expenses. BUT if you are new and learning the business, this is the way to go. You'll make less money but it will be worth it to get experience and used to otr without major commitments.

Mary G Jones

New Recruit
Thanks everyone so much for your replies. They've been really helpful and I feel a bit more comfortable going forward here.