How Has Electronic Logging Changed the Trucking Industry?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And if it wasn't apparently clear, I was attempting to :pokepoke: WOM.
What are you his bodyguard ...?

my-bodyguard-scene.jpg

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey, we all should be everybody’s bodyguard.
All looking out for each other.

You guys got me thinking, thank god Layout Shooter isn’t involved, and getting me thinking is no easy task.

Faster transit times are ok. For the trip, not for the vehicle. If you can improve loading, routing , shorten delays , fine.
Saia is running relays and they call the next driver when the vehicle is two hours out. Keep the freight moving.
Eliminating the required 30 break for 10,000 plus would help. That’s an hour per day.
Possibly make it optional. Give someone taking it 14.5 hours so if I take one, I don’t have to lose productivity.
Shortening the trip just by telling the driver to drive faster is unsafe.

Again, Over 750 miles should be teamed.
Auto correct wanted Teamsters. That’d be fine too. We need more $90-100,000 year Driving jobs with good benefits.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thank you!
You see in our little corner, carriers are bidding faster transit times to get awarded loads. Brokers have caught on and are now orchestrating this game.
Right next to lower prices are faster transit times.
Capish?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thank you!
You see in our little corner, carriers are bidding faster transit times to get awarded loads. Brokers have caught on and are now orchestrating this game.
Right next to lower prices are faster transit times.
Capish?

That sucks !

Now that we have that settled, can you see why I stated that teams, in under 10K vehicles, are making the marketplace less safe?

I think it's rather disingenuous to stand up on the soapbox screaming about safety and how solo drivers are legally running 1,000+ loads when your team operated vehicle is pushing faster times in the marketplace. How is a solo guy supposed to compete? Even on a 600 mi load faster transit times are nutty in my book.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You’re not supposed to compete with a team.
They should do team freight, at a better rate, and you should do solo work.

I never tried to compete with a van. If it would fit in a van, I gave my normal rate. And I didn’t expect to get it. If I saw that it wouldn’t fit in a van, I’d analyze location, destination, time allowance to get to pickup. Then I’d get out my gouging Stick.

Mention dock high and it cost you, lol.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You’re not supposed to compete with a team.
They should do team freight, at a better rate, and you should do solo work.

I never tried to compete with a van. If it would fit in a van, I gave my normal rate. And I didn’t expect to get it. If I saw that it wouldn’t fit in a van, I’d analyze location, destination, time allowance to get to pickup. Then I’d get out my gouging Stick.

Mention dock high and it cost you, lol.
Plus add liftgate $$$.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Eliminating the required 30 break for 10,000 plus would help. That’s an hour per day.
Possibly make it optional. Give someone taking it 14.5 hours so if I take one, I don’t have to lose productivity.

Funny, Today I was just thinking about how it should be eliminated or made optional :D

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
OVM, you seriously gonna blame the driving for making you brain dead lol. I thought it's all that good Canadian bacon clouding your better judgement lol. Everyone has different safe levels. Some can drive a thousand miles like nothing, others need a nap in between. It's up to the driver to understand their own limitations. If you drive beyond your limitations to make money, that makes you greedy and unsafe. At a 45 mile an hour average, sleeping breaks can be built up in the run as long as you do not open your left door too many times while you're in transit. I used to do Los Angeles to Detroit in 46 hours with 2 5 hour rest stops in between, Never was I unsafe. I used to have time built up for 2-3 hour naps on 1000 mile deliver direct runs. If I needed to stop and use those breaks, I would use them. If I was not tired and still alert, I would skip those breaks and deliver early. There is always time for breaks. How many drivers are on the road every day of people who only slept three hours and are working 18 hour days in offices and are a danger on the road. No one is 100 percent rested up on the road these days. Not even retired peeps like OVM lol. He's all tired out from cutting down trees and painting old fences all day. He has an eternal honey to do list that never ends. The more work he does, the bigger the list grows. He had to fake a second heart attack just to get himself a break from the work. J/K lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually in the Wild West environment as in today’s cowboys ...when today’s brokers bid is won on delivery time that sux.... I remember when 45 mph was standard and then some brilliant idiot started the 50 mph
I had loads figured at 60-65 when the vans run faster = more fill up time = less sleep time ... but I digress .. in 20 yrs keep in mind “independent owner operater” each and every one of you is responsible in some small way on the next trend. Whether it comes to cheap frieght whatever that means, or quicker delivery times... unregulated also translates into the Wild West excitement out there, anything goes no rules required. Just one more penny in the pond.
Now back to painting fences.

Last edited: